Best trailerable boat

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
jwilcoxon78: I may have misunderstood your comment but your mainsail repair interests me. Did you have a reefed draw down and not tie off the mid ties and that damaged your sail? If so, please tell us where the damage occurred. Thanks and Happy Holidays, Chief
Chief. I drew down the mid ties too tight which tore the diamond patch in one.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Chief. I drew down the mid ties too tight which tore the diamond patch in one.
My previous boat had velcro ties for the center of the sail. I always thought it was cheap looking, however they would probably let go before the sail would tear. May not have been all bad.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
jwilcoxin78: If you want to fix it yourself send me an email if you want to discuss its repair. Nice boat! Chief

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Rhodes 22 www.rhodes22.com Owned one for 12 years and miss it. The best. bob
Hi Bob: I've recently become interested in the Rhodes 22 as our possible retirement trailer sailor. We plan to visit the factory in Edenton, NC, this summer while back east for a family reunion. Based on your 12-years of ownership, what are the top strengths of the boat, and what are its top weaknesses? Thanks in advance for any information you can share.

- Bob

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Strengths are many but: build quality and manufacturer support are top 2. Aesthetics, classic look. I had a model that was one of the best outfitted, had everything: fridge, autopilot, full instrumentation: GPS, wind depth etc. Boom room was great, plus marine head with macerator pump option. Also had numerous options to make trailering easier: used fastpins for some of the stays and a separate line and mast bail for raising and lowering the mast. Biggest drawbacks are that it is a 22 ft boat with no shower (we used sun shower on the bow pulled up with the spare halyard). Sails like a dream with light helm but keel/cb makes it tender at first until you get to 10-15 degrees. We had it on a lake and trailered to the coast but when we moved to the coast moved to a Catalina 310. The R22 was in our opinion too small for ocean sailing. Could do it (we did after downsizing Genoa from 175 to 150) but the window of conditions was too narrow. In the ocean 10 knots great, 15 knots OK but anything more too much and seas were another concern. If you trailer regularly and distance I recommend the dual axle trailer and a new one with a pickup truck. We had a new single axle with a 4runner and it was OK but long distances were tiring because we were right on the edge of comfort. Stan at the factory is priceless....

Jan 17, 2013
Other note is that I bought a 95 model in 2001 and over 10 years completely refurbished everything. Spent a lot but also sold it for a nice price. They hold their value. I miss mine but it would be hard to go back given where we live now (GA coast). Blue hull like beautiful. I miss the portability the most.

May 11, 2014
Other note is that I bought a 95 model in 2001 and over 10 years completely refurbished everything. Spent a lot but also sold it for a nice price. They hold their value. I miss mine but it would be hard to go back given where we live now (GA coast). Blue hull like beautiful. I miss the portability the most.
Bob - great information, and thank you very much. I have a bunch of other Rhodes-22 specific questions for you, and so as to not hijack this topic, will send you a private message. Grateful for any additional insights that you can share. Thanks again.

- Bob

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
If you are looking for a boat around that size I would suggest looking at a Compac 23.

They are a bit beefier. They are a fixed shoal keel.

Good sailor, good amount of room.

There is a diesel version also. The factory marine head is an option. Factory support is the best (I frequently email and speak to the owner of the company). He is always there to give suggestions and information.

I have been in the Chesapeake Bay at Point Lookout in 15-20 knots and it was okay. I needed a reef but I didn't put one in, dumped a little of the main for a while. I wish I had a double reef for the main but I may do that in the future.

These are strong little boats. You can find them in a whole range of prices because they have been making them for a long time. They hold their value and they are trailerable. There is a very good owners web site too.

The Compac 23 is very good looking. She has very classic lines. Having a bow sprit is also nice because it helps with the anchor arrangement.

I am in the process of doing a lot of work to my Compac 23. I am adding a new house battery to double up on group 27 batteries. I am eventually adding water pressure and a cockpit shower to the boat.

Jan 17, 2013
Forgot to mention two key advantages to the Rhodes 22: standing headroom with the pop-top up and you can sail with the pop-top up also. When wind pipes up you drop the pop-top down and the boom which is the first reef point. Second item is they pioneered the IMF for small cruising boats. That is why I have inmast furling on my 31 footer now - got spoiled by having it.?
bob

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
... I am adding a new house battery to double up on group 27 batteries....
Off topic but think instead about putting in two 6 volt batteries in series vs. the two 12 volt batteries. They will be true deep cycle, last longer, charge better and give you more amp/hrs for the buck. Just a better deal all around.

If you add a new 27 to an old 27 that is not too good and idea (I did that) as chances are they won't be matched very well for charging now that one is older.

Sorry for the intrusion on the thread,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

May 11, 2014
Forgot to mention two key advantages to the Rhodes 22: standing headroom with the pop-top up and you can sail with the pop-top up also. When wind pipes up you drop the pop-top down and the boom which is the first reef point. Second item is they pioneered the IMF for small cruising boats. That is why I have inmast furling on my 31 footer now - got spoiled by having it.?
bob
Thanks Bob, good information. I sent you a somewhat long (sorry) private message with additional Rhodes-22 questions. Grateful for any additional information that you can provide. Thanks again.

- Bob

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Good morning gentlemen;

For those who do not know me, I am a former boat dealer.

Rhodes 22 is a classic boat that is refurbished or built new by two brothers in Edenton, NC. It is a small operation and the owners are up in years. When you go the factory, it is not as spic and span as some others but what disquinishes them is the reliability of a well built new or refurbished boat. They stand behind their product and treat you with courtesy. They are the only ones who effectively have an inmast roller furling mainsail which is patented if not mistaken. When I hear of the Rhodes 22, all I can say is quality and well built or refurbished.

As for the ComPac 23, again this is a well built boat as I use to be a dealer for them too. On inland lakes with light air, a spinnaker is suggested of course. I use to know the owner many years ago and believe his son is now managing the operation located near Tampa.

Either of the two boats can be a good trailerable and if set up properly can be singled handed in all operations which I know as I did that for my customers. Both the Rhodes 22 and Compac 23 are recogonized as top quality boats. A lot when purchasing a boat is the amenities but also asthetics of the boat too.

Sep 17, 2012
Hunter 23 Smith Mountain Lake
Look in the Classified section, there is a Com-pac 25 Trailerable for sale there. The 25 has standing head room, a plus in a trailer Sailer. It's in Seattle.
TG

Feb 16, 2011
Macgregor 26X Michigan City, IN
Three is way to many. Sell me one. :D

Used:
MacGregor 26 D or S.
I tow mine with a SAAB station wagon. 2250 lb
Sleeps 5 adults. Can be set up by one person in less than an hour. Has all the amenity's you want. Fast! (Ask the H260 guys...)
Cheap: http://macgregor.sailboatowners.com/index.php?option=com_adsmanager&Itemid=254
Get one and sail it for a season. If you don't like it send it to Canada and get 3x what you paid... http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/kin...oat/517283683?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I like them so much I have 3 Mac26D's!

Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
Is the OP wayunderated following this thread? He posted once 12/3 and hasn't commented since.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Is the OP wayunderated following this thread?
Of COURSE not! ;^)

I'm always leery of 'writing a book' for a first-time poster. Most of the time they never come back to read it.

As for this thread, he never said what was important to him. So everyone rightly listed the things that were important to THEM, which made their boat selection BEST. Perfect!

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Sumner....I would never add a second battery to an old battery. Never! I am going to buy 2 batteries for this.

I have thought about the six volt route. Not sure about it. I feel more comfortable about doing two group 27 batteries.

Dave....In your experience, how did you rig the Compac 23 for single handed mast stepping? I am just curious on this one.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Of COURSE not! ;^)

I'm always leery of 'writing a book' for a first-time poster. Most of the time they never come back to read it.

As for this thread, he never said what was important to him. So everyone rightly listed the things that were important to THEM, which made their boat selection BEST. Perfect!
But what a great excuse to brag about our boats.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Sumner....I would never add a second battery to an old battery. Never! I am going to buy 2 batteries for this.

I have thought about the six volt route. Not sure about it. I feel more comfortable about doing two group 27 batteries...
Good deal, I saw the "a battery" and took it for one :redface:. Since in almost all cases using two 12 volt batteries you are going to want to leave the selector switch in "both" why not just go to the 6 volt batteries? Just wondering.

I just called the battery place near where the Endeavour is as I need 4 batteries and Trojan 6 volts are going for about $97 there,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]