Best trailerable boat

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
If you have money, consider anything by Ian Farrier. But for the rest of us...

You should really priorities your desires. That will help you narrow down which boat to get. For me, speed was the highest priority. Having owned a dog previously, I wanted to get as far away from boring as possible. 2 tools I used. The fist was Portsmouth ratings. This will tell you a lot about how the boat goes in different winds. Also, poor handling boats are not capable of fast. So if you have a low number, the boat will sail well. Figure out what rating category, and that will eliminate tons of boats. For my, I eliminated anything that was not in the 80s or lower. Once you narrow in on a couple of boats, search Youtube. That will tell you a little about what your sailing days will be like. Then search the brand forums to make sure of any details that would eliminate the brand or tell you anything specific to look for, assuming you are buying used.

The boat I found was a RL24. It sails very well. Virtually every time I have taken it out, I've exceeded 6 knots. 7 knots is not difficult. These are speeds up wind, No kite. The boat weighs 3K on the trailer, so can be towed by most any vehicle with a tow rating. I can set the boat up by myself. It has a moderate cabin, with about 6 inches of headroom above my head when sitting down. Easily will sleep 3 adults, or 4 people if 2 are kids. The cabin is not huge, but certainly comfortable. One other thing that was to my liking was the swing keel. The main place where I sail is shallow. It is not uncommon to bump the bottom at least once during a days sail, so having a keel that swings was also important.
For boats in this size category, I would be looking at the RL, an S2 6.7 or 6.9, a Holder 20, although the cabin is small on the Holder. A little bigger would be an S2 7.9, or a Beneteau First Class 8. Huge would be a Mega 30 or a Hobie 33, although the Mega has much better accommodations. Just watch out for soft spots on the deck with the Mega.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
My wife and I love our H260. We can have it in the water in about 30-40 minutes after we pull up to the ramp. This summer was our first trip taking it down to FL. We live in the Atlanta area. The tow was very uneventful. You do have to mind the with of the trailer however.

We've sailed frequently with 3-5 people onboard. Not too crowded. However, I'd only overnight with a max of 4.
Dang, Dude! It takes me longer than that just to untie the lines that were tied for trailering. Crazy Dave told me he was able to do that in his younger days, too. I've got the whole process down to about 3 hours now.

Seems like you were interested in coming to SC when Dave came to help me with the ramp at my former club. Looks like now you would be able to teach a class on setting the boat up from the loaded-for-travel position. Care to share your techniques?

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Fast rigging rule #1.. Dont spend 2 hours chatting with people while your setting up..:D:D

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
It took me about 1.5 hours to set up my Compac 23. It is more of a complex set-up due to having more stays than other boats. It has 8 stays (rigged like a bigger boat). I have to tune them some when I set up because I have to back off of them when taking the rig down.

Still, I plan to slip her for the main part of the sailing season so I can just go when I want to. I prefer having a second set of hands as a safety.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Fast rigging is a problem solved long before you arrive at the launch site. For me it was simplifying the mast stepping, with redundant use of stays for stabilization. Try to minimize the number of times you have to go get something. Figure out a way to use what is already there. Figure out a sequence to minimize redundant motion. There is a sequence to gathering each piece used to step the mast. I use my Jib halyard to unload the stays so they can be cleated. All raising devices are on carabiners that stay on the boat, clipped to where they are used. The mast in its traveling position is hung by carabiners. The process is just clipping and doing.

I don't have everything dialed in yet. My next project is to get the sail permanently secured to the boom, so when the boom is installed, the main sail is also in place.

Right now it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to do it by myself. If I have help, I can have the sails put in place while we are motoring out.

One other thought, the Santana 2023 uses a "knife switch" like device for attaching the stays. I believe the rig tension is somewhere around 500 lbs, so a device like this is used:

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I am not bragging but basically wrote the book on truly trailering to my customers and those I help. I would be glad gto meet folks and go over trailering techniques. Anyway, when looking at boats, think of one person operation which is why the Hunter ballasted boats were envied by many due to that one reason of mine. However asthetics is also an issue which some women that is important. Trialerable sailboats are boats not designed for racing but techniques learned from a couple of boats, well I sailed and raced against many and won. it is in the rigging and sail control.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I keep my main on the boom when I store it. I simply roll the main and sail tie it to the boom. I then place the mainsail cover over the sail to protect it. I then lift the boom and the sail off and place it in the cabin. Main is 2/3 rigged that way. Rolling the sail is one of the better ways of caring for it and it is a lot more compact thank fan folding it or flaking it over the boom. With rolling it to the boom I can leave the reefing lines in place as well.

I do remove my Genoa off of the flexible furler. I don't see the point in letting the sun shielding get sun when you don't have the boat in use. Take it off to save the sail a lot of wear and tear and also prevent injuring the sail when putting the mast up and down.

boblin

Nov 20, 2014
Catalina 34 Milwaukee
Precision 23

I'm looking to purchase a good boat that I can trailer from location to location. Something that's fun to sail yet has plenty of room inside and amenities. I want something that would be good for sailing/camping for a few days at a time. I figured this would be a great place to come for suggestions. Any help you folks can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
We have sailed a P-23 for the last 12 years and loved it. With the keel/kick up centerboard it only draws 2 1/2 ft. board up. Its built very well and sails upwind great (expect nothing less of jim Taylor design) the trailer has a telescoping gantry that makes mast raising very easy and parts and info are readily available, many times talking to Bill Porter (owner and builder) himself.
I would definitely try to get a ride on one before buying. Go to precision boat works.com

Good Luck

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
DavA390

I WAS A PRECIISON DEALER TOO AND WELL BUILT. CAN BE CONFIGURED WITH ONE PERSON TO HANDLE THIS BOAT ALONE. ==+1

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Look into the Sage 17 or Sage 15. Made in Golden Colorado by Sage Marine.

They are the young cousins to a great trailer mini yacht the Montgomery 15. I've owned my M15 since 1997. Traveled thousands of miles and sailed in waters from the Puget Sound to the San Francisco Bay and the rivers, lakes and reservoirs in between. At 750 pounds the boat and trailer need only an average size car. Light on the gas as compared to a large truck. If you are going for the day you can have the boat in the water and ready to go before your mate parks the car and grabs the lunch boxes.

Check out Sage Marine at http://www.sagemarine.us and see what trailer sailing is all about.

John

Sep 28, 2005
-Florida Bay Boat Co. -Peep Hen Minnesota
Look into the Sage 17 or Sage 15. Made in Golden Colorado by Sage Marine.

They are the young cousins to a great trailer mini yacht the Montgomery 15. I've owned my M15 since 1997. Traveled thousands of miles and sailed in waters from the Puget Sound to the San Francisco Bay and the rivers, lakes and reservoirs in between. At 750 pounds the boat and trailer need only an average size car. Light on the gas as compared to a large truck. If you are going for the day you can have the boat in the water and ready to go before your mate parks the car and grabs the lunch boxes.

Check out Sage Marine at http://www.sagemarine.us and see what trailer sailing is all about.

John
X2 with John!! These are great trailerable boats.

Brian

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
Dang, Dude! It takes me longer than that just to untie the lines that were tied for trailering. Crazy Dave told me he was able to do that in his younger days, too. I've got the whole process down to about 3 hours now.

Seems like you were interested in coming to SC when Dave came to help me with the ramp at my former club. Looks like now you would be able to teach a class on setting the boat up from the loaded-for-travel position. Care to share your techniques?
The first time did take a bit more time. 2-3 hours but we've got it about as efficient as possible. Main stays on the boom, wife knows order of equipment to hand up from the cabin (gin pole, mainsheet, etc). Now, when I say in the water in that time, I still need to deploy the cockpit canopy and attached the boom vang but I usually do all this while she heads us out.

I was intending on meeting you guys several months ago but scheduling got the best of me. I'd like to meet up someday though. It's always nice

When we get to the ramp, I get up top, unpinning the rudder on the way, and start opening the cabin, removing ties from the mast that hold the jib in place while my wife releases the hull tie downs (none on the bow Dave:naughty:). By this time, I'm up front sliding the mast aft and my wife is below collecting the equipment. She hands this up and I setup, after the mast pin and vang attach point. She's on the jib halyard adjusting as necessary. Once set, we raise and pin the forestay (actually rolling furler). Also, she monitors the shrouds for any hangups. Then the boom goes up (main already installed). Insert the slugs and connect the main halyard. Then, load provisions as necessary. If there are hangups, we've seen times around 50 minutes. I seem to unofficially time every setup and critique for improvements which sometimes are not taken well but I can't resist. If she's happy then why push the matter. We (men) never seem learn though. Certainly if I'm missing anything let me know.

I'm looking to re-plumb the boat with PEX after the first of the year. I'll also plumb in the drain from the cooler to the sink drain in the galley. We have a yeti 35 so there's a connector you can get that I believe will work well. This will avoid having to remove the cooler from the boat to drain and also avoid having to get it in/out period. I really hate wrestling that thing in and out.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Lake Lanier is high on my list of places to trailer to. Sounds like we should meet up. Would that interest you at all?

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
Lake Lanier is high on my list of places to trailer to. Sounds like we should meet up. Would that interest you at all?
Absolutely. PM me and I'll get you my email address so we can coordinate when it will all work out.

I've got to get my main over to the loft for a small repair. Turns out I'm learning the lesson of on loosely tying the middle the hard way.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
jwilcoxon78: I may have misunderstood your comment but your mainsail repair interests me. Did you have a reefed draw down and not tie off the mid ties and that damaged your sail? If so, please tell us where the damage occurred. Thanks and Happy Holidays, Chief

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Regarding mid-sail reefing points…

Have you ever noticed that the mid sail reef points, where the nettles go, are a couple inches below a line between the tack and clew reef cringles?

This is supposed to help prevent the problem of tears if the nettles are tied up too tight. Of course, if your tack or clew reef lets go, all bets are off, especially the clew reef point.