Bearing Cap rusted tight

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
The wheel bearings on my trailer make a horrible noise - likely in bad need of grease. The caps are rusted on tight - penetrating oil and tapping and nothing can get the cap to budge. Any secrets I'm not aware of, or should I destroy and replace the cap?

Attachments

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
Destroy and replace the caps. They are a consumable and should be replaced anyway.
Thanks. I got the cap off, it's destroyed. Now I am puzzled.

Axle nut and washer behind it are off. The bearing housing will not move off the axle. Tire is off. Can't see anything holding the hub on the axle but it will not move - other than rotate.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
Thanks. I found a video that was helpful. Used my dead-blow hammer to beat on the back side of the hub and it finally came off. After lunch I will take a close look at the bearings.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Once you wrestle the hubs off and replace the bearings, replace the caps with "Bearing Buddies" to keep the new bearings in good shape.
One bearing inner race may have rotated on the spindle, making a groove which will make it difficult t get the hub off. That spindle may be unusable because of that.. although, some trailers have easily replaceable spindles ..

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
Thanks for the note about the spindle - I'll take a close look. Rotating by hand the noise is very bad.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
..., replace the caps with "Bearing Buddies" to keep the new bearings in good shape.
:plus::beer:

... and use silicone-based or lithieum-based grease sometimes marketed as "water proof" grease. You can get "marine" grade grease but you will pay an extra $5 for the word "Marine" on the lable.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I sir congradulate you. You solved a potentially very bad situation before it became so much worse. Always better to replace stuff at you own pace in your driveway than the side of theinterstate in the middle of the night . Especially during a storm... ask me how I know ..

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
I bought lithium grease and new bearings for the left side. Installed. Bearing Buddies and new bearings for right side on order.

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
I’m a firm believer in Murphy’s laws. When towing anything I always have at least one set of bearings, already greased, a good jack, the correct sized trailer lug nut wrench with extra lug nuts and the tools required to change a wheel bearing along side of the road. (Also a good properly inflated spare tire.) I’ve never had to actually do it along side the road myself but have assisted several others who found themselves in that very same predicament.
A policy of prevention means inspect and repack those bearing every season.
I’m a firm (somewhat anal) believer that if you maintain your bearings every season and you’re prepared to deal with a bearing failure on the road it will never happen.
Also, take a good hard look at your trailer tires and suspension. Dry rotted or tires over ten years old should be replaced regardless of tread depth. Seized spring shackle bolts can prevent the springs from flexing and puts a lot of shock load on tires, the trailer frame and your boat.
Tom G

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thank you all for helping with your advice. If the poster wishes me to contact him, please advise. Former retired Hunter dealer

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
Anybody else had serious trouble getting a grease gun pulled off the fitting?

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
Brand new grease gun, slipped onto the fitting, grease came through before attaching. Gun would NOT be removed from fitting.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
I can imagine an automatic lock that requires a slide and release or twist near the nozzle what did the instructions say for the new grease gun?

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
The instructions tell how to put it into service the first time, but have nothing to say about how to use it. It's a basic gun, no mechanism on the nozzle to releasing.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
If you listen and watch the example I got from a simple Google search and YouTube playback you will understand how to fix it and why it happened. My former mode of solution was to get a bigger hammer and then ask a farmer how to fix it after I broke it.
I did search and read and watch several article and videos. Clean fitting and new gun. No amount of pulling & twisting budged it. Ended up pulling the fitting out of the Bearing Buddy. Grease Gun still attached.