Assortment of cheap fixes on Cat 22

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
Not really a cheap fix but a free source of a certain supply.
If you see a flat roofed building getting a new rubber/gravel roof instaled, they often toss 5" wide rolls of mastic tape in the dumpster when they have less than 5 feet of tape left on the roll. A couple of rolls from the dumpster could be a lifetime supply butyl tape. I think its all the same stuff.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you see a flat roofed building getting a new rubber/gravel roof instaled, they often toss 5" wide rolls of mastic tape in the dumpster when they have less than 5 feet of tape left on the roll. A couple of rolls from the dumpster could be a lifetime supply butyl tape. I think its all the same stuff.
1585235122998.png

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
LOL, actually they throw them in the parking lot before they go to the dumpster so timing is your friend

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
If it's the same stuff I don't think I want any. yes, many of the butyl tape sources are "the same stuff". automotive etc. but I seriously doubt it's anywhere near as good as the proper stuff to use for marine use, which would be Bed-it butyl tape from Hamilton marine. that stuff is WAY better than anything else I've seen out there.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
If it's the same stuff I don't think I want any. yes, many of the butyl tape sources are "the same stuff". automotive etc. but I seriously doubt it's anywhere near as good as the proper stuff to use for marine use, which would be Bed-it butyl tape from Hamilton marine. that stuff is WAY better than anything else I've seen out there.
I suspect that commercial grade roofing supplies are better than Autozone or Amazon cheap imitations, the tape is designed to stay waterproof for years on top of a building in the weather and have roofing companies rely on it for their reputations. But you know what they say about opinions!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I suspect the commercial stuff is different than the common stuff. Just like pesticides and paint, the commercial stuff is usually more environmentally hazardous is some way. "For professional use only" I remember reading the old common Butyl changed for environmental reasons.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I suspect that commercial grade roofing supplies are better than Autozone or Amazon cheap imitations, the tape is designed to stay waterproof for years on top of a building in the weather and have roofing companies rely on it for their reputations. But you know what they say about opinions!
yup. I also know what they say about experience.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
The gray and white versions available at rv parts stores are very good , designed for outdoor rough use and nasty conditions.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
MaineSail's "Bed-It" butyl tape

I trust MaineSail implicitly, and I will always support him when possible. He has done more to help the sailing community than (I think) any other living man. If he says his custom-formulated butyl tape is the best there is, I say it's the best there is. Proceeds from Bed-It tape go back into his "marine how-to" site, which is a fabulous wealth of information.

My .02.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I
MaineSail's "Bed-It" butyl tape

I trust MaineSail implicitly, and I will always support him when possible. He has done more to help the sailing community than (I think) any other living man. If he says his custom-formulated butyl tape is the best there is, I say it's the best there is. Proceeds from Bed-It tape go back into his "marine how-to" site, which is a fabulous wealth of information.

My .02.
i used some today

Sep 14, 2014
Well any butyl beats the 4200 , 5200 schemes for hardware you would like remove later or ever.

Sep 14, 2014
Soo, weather being kind of weird for winter/spring here and the safer at home thing in effect, I spent the morning with my trusty sewing machine making a velcro attached sunshade for my sailing cap. Used the oval velcro with stick to cloth adhesive but sewed them on because they quit after a while. Same with matching fuzzy ovals on cloth , then some tricky sewing inside out and backwards to have it wrap around my ears and neck. Pictures of assembly and final product below. Inside pictures to validate the stay at home for us over 65 but not quite dead yet types!
hat sunshade project (2).jpg
hat sunshade project (1).jpg
hat sunshade project (3).jpg
hat sunshade project (4).jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Yep, crazy new restriction here in Florida, all boats must remain a minimum of 50 ft apart and hold no more than 10 persons. Checked around my marina but 2/3 of boats that have to move to give me the 50 ft are not being friendly. Guess flatlander that wrote the rule forgot about slippage, while maneuvering, general federal laws governing your place in the channel etc. Cute spot here where shoals are so close to 30 ft wide channel that we will have to erect a take a number post to govern transit north and south through the tight spot. Not to mention trying to keep distance while under sail~

Sep 14, 2014
Just a quick fix to companionway threshold as it is wood and teak oiled or maybe old varnish and gets wet from base of crib boards all the time. So a piece of vinyl used to put on wall to floor joint of vinyl flooring seemed right. Only 2.24 at home store, little trimming and couple three tacks and Voila (french for wow!) Pics below.
20200410_162140.jpg
20200410_162558.jpg