Assortment of cheap fixes on Cat 22

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Yes he would, but I have the replaced the cajun tiller tamer of bungi cord with a davis tiller tamer, much bettah!
davis tiller tamer.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Closeup of spacer behind upper gudgeon on rudder, although only 1/4" it appears to reduce the tendency of boat to go to windward when you let go of the tiller. Mo
20190505_152205.jpg
re testing to come.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Jack...what say you (or others) about the Wavefront Tiller Clutch v. Davis Tiller Tamer....thoughts? (about to pull the trigger on something)....

Sep 14, 2014
Tiller tamer by Davis, omni adjustable for tension you want for steering to holding course setting. No clutch to let all go, or have on only. I single hand nearly all the time and the Davis is the best for me. Controls on top too, hard to mistake hitting clutch release letting all go on me when grabbing tiller in a hurry or blindly.

Sep 24, 2017
Catalina 22 #14720 Cheboygan
So I was walking into The Walmart a few weeks ago and there on display were some solar yard lights exactly like Jacktar showed, so I bought 2 @ .97¢ each.
I put one on my boat exactly as shown by Jacktar. Works Great.

So I go to my boat today to pick up my rudder to make a small repair and what do I find...

Thousands of dead and dying bugs. The other boats with no lights had almost no critters.

So, I'm just going on record to say this was ALL JACKTAR's FAULT...:laugh::deadhorse:

Attachments

Sep 14, 2014
Ah yes Black fly season maybe. Come south a bit. Oddly enough the solars do not attract mosquitoes or gnats so far.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
The other boats with no lights had almost no critters.
Maybe you've established a breeding station. I'd like to know what that light is pumping out that massacred so many - good grief. Annihilation.

Sep 14, 2014
Jeez now I am going to get credited with bug genocide for my idea.

Sep 14, 2014
BTW I just checked the boat and only one slightly drunk spider, think he came over from the party boat next door.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
BTW I just checked the boat and only one slightly drunk spider, think he came over from the party boat next door.
Could be - a spider is like an owl, and keeps gnats away. Let him/her have the run of the place, and see how he does with it. If it works, I might get one.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Could be - a spider is like an owl, and keeps gnats away. Let him/her have the run of the place, and see how he does with it. If it works, I might get one.
How many gnats does an owl have to eat to get enough calories? :poke:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Try turning the light fitting upside down... it might not attract so many bugs then! ;)

Sep 14, 2014
it is solar, if yu turn it upside down activates in daytime and rapidly discharges battery without charging, but you knew that dintcha?

Jul 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Germantown, TN
Sep 14, 2014
Using my pull out galley, I only use the built in icebox to store the pots, pans, plates etc for cooking, and use a separate cooler stuck forward between the settee to starboard and the forward dinette seat to port on the cabin sole. Easier to get at while cooking and holds more stuff and keeps it colder.
Starboard side Dinette annotated.jpg