Assortment of cheap fixes on Cat 22

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've thought of a lot of things. But it always turns out someone else already thought of them.

I could write a book about those things ... but somebody probably already thought of that.
:cowbell:

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I've thought of a lot of things. But it always turns out someone else already thought of them.

I could write a book about those things ... but somebody probably already thought of that.
yup, ditto, except most of those are "Gene Things"!

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Well maybe some are old ideas, but since we got this nice new digital method of spreading the word, I will post at least those I have done personally, that work on a Cat 22 for sure, I have beaten into submission for bugs, (reminds me of some more anti bug things I need to post), and just seem to be handy and dandy!

Sep 14, 2014
So while waiting for Michael, decided to immortalize the boat name on some shirts. So short story of stealing images from web, put into Paint, add caption, then print backwards on fabric transfer and finally iron on to shirts.
Easy Peazy and looks kind of sharp, also will have legacy if boat goes away with Michael coming thru.
20180806_140058.jpg
20181008_104133.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Nice but I do have the template so I can change it to number 4, just have to find a old design (the ones with the fore-deck hatch in the fore-deck) to start again.

Sep 14, 2014
Sure will, double lines to floating dock, extra fenders, and all sail covers lashed down and hatches battened (well sort of ) now we wait. Barges and cranes are 3 mile bridge building gear sharing our hurricane hole in Bayou Chico. Worst case they uproot and squish me wee boatie.
20181009_093230.jpg

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Jack...having just been thru Florence....get ALL canvas, sails, sail covers off the boat, anything that causes windage....if you can put on trailer to higher ground, do so....floating docks don't fair well (understatement with the surge) and damage/destroy boats, as our area (New Bern) can attest...plz be safe and boats are secondary to life/limb/home...(likely nothing you don't already know!)...

Sep 14, 2014
Done this twice now with 65 mile gusts and 3-4 ft surge, no problem, boat tied to dock, dock goes up and down with surge in bayou, slow fill, slow empty, but the guys around me with tight lines to fixed poles near the floating dock did not do well. With yankee bag lashed down and mainsail cover wrapped well, no edges to be peeled open. But will send you after pix when mikey is done with her.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Done this twice now with 65 mile gusts and 3-4 ft surge, no problem, boat tied to dock, dock goes up and down with surge in bayou, slow fill, slow empty, but the guys around me with tight lines to fixed poles near the floating dock did not do well. With yankee bag lashed down and mainsail cover wrapped well, no edges to be peeled open. But will send you after pix when mikey is done with her.
best of luck, at least you're on the better side of it and it's fast moving....

Sep 14, 2014
All is well, this pm it is dry with gusts around 30 every once in a while, all sails and their bags good, damp from light rain we got is all. On to next challenge. Something cheap perhaps?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Okay, I've got one. :)

Squeeze a few more lumens out of your cabin lights with a piece of aluminum foil and some spray glue. Cost: about five cents to do all three fixtures. The LED itself is an eBay cheapy, been going strong for about four years now.

Glad you fared well, Jacktar. :thumbup:

Sep 14, 2014
Interesting Idea, BTW wonder why nav lite fixtures dont typically have reflector backs. Hmmmmm

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
Okay, I've got one. :)

Squeeze a few more lumens out of your cabin lights with a piece of aluminum foil and some spray glue. Cost: about five cents to do all three fixtures. The LED itself is an eBay cheapy, been going strong for about four years now.

Glad you fared well, Jacktar. :thumbup:
I normally do this with trailer lights which are built to provide the minimum legally required light. Stupid lens optics. 50s technology.