Assortment of cheap fixes on Cat 22

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
hmm interesting, also i guess muffler foil which is shiny too.

Sep 14, 2014
Really cheap idea, when you stow your slideaway galley you must close the drain valve to the scuppers from its sink, if you do not you will get lots of water back into the bilge and under the cushions (depending on your heel). So this avoids the dread 100 gallon wet dream.
in boat shots  (1).JPG

ancbob

Jan 2, 2013
Catalina 22
As part of rebuilding my windows, I found this material to replace the inner square rubber liners. They fit snug into the channels with no adhesive.
IMG_5749.JPG
IMG_5751.JPG
IMG_5754.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Good Idea, fortunately so far the original rubber liners on my windows are still there. PO used evil silicon to reseal some leaks, Only thing that will stick silicon residue to aluminum, glass, fiberglass, and the rubber gasket is cheap ole DAP tub and tile adhesive sealant from Home Depot, and it is very cheap trust me , like 3.49 for couple seasons worth of leak stop.

Sep 14, 2014
Another post was talking about dinette table up or down, since I single hand and sleep on the starboard setee when galley is not deployed the space under the table comes in handy for short trip food storage and some storage for handy things needed in cabin without having to open compartments etc. Like so
Oct 1 anchorage (9).JPG

Sep 14, 2014
By the way, one solution to halyard slap when anchoring or in the marina is these two bungee cords. Makes the neighbors happy and I noticed it was contagious and several boats at the marina now use them too. Lots quieter at nap time now.
bunge anti bangers for shrouds.jpg

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Good idea - simple solution. Getting the neighbors on board around you makes a big difference.

Sep 14, 2014
I forgot about a really handy 99 cent item from Walmart that I get a lot of use of at night and rooting around in compartments to repair or search for items. Bonus is it is attached to hat brim so you get padding for those head banger moments in the bilge. 3 bright LEDs and last longer than the clip on the underside.
20181013_103601.jpg

Apr 11, 2017
Good tip - nice to have those around.
Man, that's a macabre looking hat.. good conversation starter I bet.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I also got tired of expensive wind gages on the shroud from Davis etc busting my beer budget for sailing so came up with cheap version using zipties and red nylon floss from Walmart sewing section.You get like 10 yards for 88 cents or so.
Or dig an old vhs tape out of the attic and you'll have a lifetime roll of "wind indicator ribbon material" to tape or tie on the shrouds. lightweight tape shows even the lightest of winds. ;)

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I've been using moth balls for years to try and keep the deer from eating the garden and detest the smell. In order to keep critters out of the cabin, I started putting a small glass jar with an inch of Tea Tree Oil in it in the sink. That and the solar powered crib board fans seem to be working and the cabin smells a whole lot nicer because of it. Thanks for the tip on the hand nuts for the pop top, I think I'm going to see about upgrading mine to those as well.

Sep 14, 2014
Yep, neat thing about the cheap fixes is if they don't end up working very well you are not out any large amount of cash. Leaves more booty left for grog and wenches.

Sep 14, 2014
Yep, it starts lots of conversations, since my retirement I work part time as a forensic consultant so it was gift from work buddy. I used battery operated strap on clumsy headlamps back then this is much better and lighter.

Sep 14, 2014
Well decided the torn up faded and broken plastic extrusions on my boat now only saying "atalina 2" on one side and "Cata ...22" on the other needed to be replaced. You cannot get the right font for the 83 from Catalina direct etc. so I had a set of vinyl self adhesive decals made locally at a graphics place. I paid a artwork fee plus the cost of couple of decals. The pictures show the decals before and after application. Don't look too bad but starboard side is tough working upside down to line it up. Luckily old extrusions only lightly glued with foam backing, putty knife and some 400 grit plus alcohol wipe and easy peasy . If anyone has similar problem PM or post a note and I can get a set made up For 30 US a pair, fit in envelope so I will pick up shipping of 50 cent stamp.
New vinyl Cat 22 decals (1).jpg
New vinyl Cat 22 decals (2).jpg

Ps yeah the 22 on port is a little crooked but first try and I can live with it , until so called permanent decals crap out and will replace them then.

Sep 14, 2014
BTW one of my cheap sewing projects is seen in the background of the hat led light post. Here is a better view, attaches to teak trim at top of liner of vee berth (AKA my attic). Not too complicated, just simple stitching with web cloth and some vinyl coated canvas and snaps.
20170203_133153.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
When hot weather gets here and bugs abound, I rig up my inexpensive mosquito net for campanionway with two bungees and some lead shot in the base of it to keep it down but easy to push aside for entry and exit.
IMG_20160504_155857.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Cheap fix when I bought my boat on a really rusted trailer but needed to haul it away from the guys house to the yard to start getting it ready to paint and launch. In field adaption of 2 x 2, some angles and couple of hose clamps. Made it to the yard although sweated every little bump on the way!
A Seagul 3 yard pix (1).JPG

Apr 11, 2017
When hot weather gets here and bugs abound, I rig up my inexpensive mosquito net for campanionway with two bungees and some lead shot in the base of it to keep it down but easy to push aside for entry and exit.View attachment 162663
That's a great idea -- did you buy the companionway screen, or make the whole set-up yourself?