ANL Fuses

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
IZTOSS 2PCS 250A In-Line ANL Fuse Holder with Fuse.
Install Bay ANL250-10 - 250 Amp ANL Fuses

Has anyone tried these out. There seems to be quite a discrepancy price wise between these and Blue Sea.

Cheers
2 Old Pirates

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME

Has anyone tried these out. There seems to be quite a discrepancy price wise between these and Blue Sea.

Cheers
2 Old Pirates
Please avoid the use of no-name ANL fuses that are not IP rated. You also want toavoid them because they may not even be a true ANL in terms of trip-delay curves. They may actually trip near instantly when trying to handle motor in-rush loads.

The Blue Sea ANL product is the only one we tested, on dead short circuits, that has not failed in an unsafe manner. For the ABYC High Capacity Battery Committee we tripped close to 100 different fuses and every single one of the elcheapo "auto stereo grade" fuses failed in an unsafe manner by blowing the crappy window right out of the product. Not a single BSS fuse did this.. You get what you pay for with ANL fuses.

If an ANL manufacturer can not provide an IP rating and a trip delay curve for the fuse walk away..

May 2, 2012
thanks thanks thanks ...... that's exactly what I was wondering. When you see such a difference it makes you really think twice. Just had additional question. Does the holders fall into the same category.
Much appreciated
2 Old Pirates

Feb 6, 1998
thanks thanks thanks ...... that's exactly what I was wondering. When you see such a difference it makes you really think twice. Just had additional question. Does the holders fall into the same category.
Much appreciated
2 Old Pirates
Absolutely. Blue Sea has two fuse holders for ANL 35A to 300A and 35A to 750A. These are extremely high quality fuse holders thoroughly tested and abused. They are solid nickel plated copper to resist corrosion and have full encapsulating polycarbonate covers. The only other ANL fuse holders we will use at our shop are the Marinco Pro-Installer Series...

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz

Cheers
2 Old Pirates
Why those rather than MRBFs? Just wondering. The MRBFs worked great for our upgrade.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Eaton Bussman , ANL fuses are an Industry standard and if were a betting man they produce bluesea's they look Identical.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Be aware Blue Sea's factory was severely damaged in a fire allegedly set by a disgruntled former employee. Many items that I ordered this season are showing up "backordered". I have no idea when delivery may occur.

May 2, 2012

Close to finishing setup. When it comes to BusBars could I use these.

T Tocas 300A BusBar Box - Heavy-Duty Module Design Power Distribution Block with 4 x M8 Terminal Studs

4 studs (5/16"),Removable windows for unobstructed wiring
  • Max Amperage: 300 Amps at 12VDC per connection
  • Max Voltage: 48V DC
  • Reinforced Polycarbonate & tin plated pure electrical copper
  • Dimensions (L x W x H): 138 x 69 x 44.5mm (5.433"x2.72"x1.75")
Cheers
2 Old Pirates

Feb 6, 1998
It will probably work, but I don't know why you would want to choose a mystery supplier, plated brass not plated copper, over a known quality busbar such as the Blue Sea 2127? From what I see the Chinese busbar actually costs more than the 2127 and appears to be a knock-off of the BEP product....? The spec says 300A max and the Blue Sea is 250A continuous but I know Blue Sea is using legit testing facilities and I have no idea who is testing and rating the Chinese busbar.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
@2 OLD PIRATES can I ask what this is about? Is this a change to the C310 or replacing something that needs to be addressed. Still learning my C310 but I can't remember seeing any of this setup in my boat. I'll have to look closer at the new GC 6V battery area, but it was super neat and cleanly done with no issues identified.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
@2 OLD PIRATES can I ask what this is about? Is this a change to the C310 or replacing something that needs to be addressed. Still learning my C310 but I can't remember seeing any of this setup in my boat. I'll have to look closer at the new GC 6V battery area, but it was super neat and cleanly done with no issues identified.
JRT, he is upgrading his batteries and wiring. Adding the bus makes connections easier, and moves them off the battery terminal-where only 2 (?) connections should be made.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
AH, I'll look closer at this area next time on my C310

May 2, 2012
Here is another odd question. Can you add a Mounting bar with fuse to a Busbar?

Cheers
2 Old Pirates

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Before or “after”, yes. Before would be subject to distance ‘upstream’ for protection purposes of that feeder.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Yep, I've done it. MRBF at the battery, cable to positive busbar, then a double fuse MRBF to branch off to a OB starting circuit and DC Distribution panel.

I think Blue Sea Systems makes a mounting bar specifically to mount an ANL fuse to a busbar.

May 2, 2012
battery-fuse-mounting-bar-assembly.jpg

This is what I want to mount on the BUS BAR. The lead from the battery connects to this. It is about 12" away.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The Blue Sea ANL product is the only one we tested, on dead short circuits, that has not failed in an unsafe manner. For the ABYC High Capacity Battery Committee we tripped close to 100 different fuses and every single one of the elcheapo "auto stereo grade" fuses failed in an unsafe manner by blowing the crappy window right out of the product. Not a single BSS fuse did this.. You get what you pay for with ANL fuses.

Did you test the normally high quality brands like Bussman, Gould/Shawmut, Littlefuse, etc, or only cheap brands?