An easy enhanced soft shackle

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Just out of curiosity, where would you want to use a soft shackle?

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Just out of curiosity, where would you want to use a soft shackle?
Use it to attach a block anywhere where you need a little more freedom of movement than a steel shackle provides.
Spinnaker or jib sheets with eye splices in them.
I leave one attached to the end of my boom for the halyard to attach to (in lieu of a topping lift).

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
OK. Thanks for the quick reply. I had heard about putting them at the jib sheet ends. I currently use a single jib sheet with a cow hitch in the middle. Soft shackles better?

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
OK. Thanks for the quick reply. I had heard about putting them at the jib sheet ends. I currently use a single jib sheet with a cow hitch in the middle. Soft shackles better?
I'm a fan of bowlines honestly... but that's a conversation for another thread.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
I like the cow hitch too... makes the jib clew slide over the stays'l stay easier than a bowline would.

I could however see using soft shackles for blocks to change the lead angle for the jib sheets. Seems like a great use.

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
If you don't need to remove or change the jib sheets often, I can't see anything easier or better than a cow hitch. That is what I've always used. I guess the downside is that if you ever chafe or damage one leg, you need to replace the whole thing.

Like mentioned earlier, we also use a soft shackle to connect our bridle to the anchor chain.

Mark

Dec 19, 2014
Tartan 30 Baltimore
Dyneema is more abrasion resistant than high carbon steel. One of its common usages is in chafe protectors for other rope types - also in cut and abrasion resistant gloves. Our shackles show no wear after a year of dragging through sand and rubble. If we regularly anchored in sharp rocks or coral (who would?), then I might have more concern. Even just cutting this stuff is tough to do - I keep a special ceramic knife for this purpose (cuts it like butter). A regular steel knife needs to be sawed back and forth and the dyneema often frays as it cuts.

But the thing to remember is that a soft shackle costs $1 and 15min of time. I keep several around and can just replace one at any sign of weakening, or just on a routine basis.

Mark
Thanks Mark. I was just thinking of adding an "emergency" anchor on my stern rail but didn't want to leave the chain and rode attached because I have no easy way to get it into the lazarette and don't want to put more holes in the boat. A simple soft shackle would be a very quick way to attach the rode and deploy the anchor in an emergency.

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Thanks Mark. I was just thinking of adding an "emergency" anchor on my stern rail but didn't want to leave the chain and rode attached because I have no easy way to get it into the lazarette and don't want to put more holes in the boat. A simple soft shackle would be a very quick way to attach the rode and deploy the anchor in an emergency.
To clarify, we use a soft shackle to attach our bridle (snubber) to the chain - not to attach the chain to the anchor.

However, quickly attaching the rode to the anchor in an emergency situation like you describe would be fine, although I would consider that a short-term usage only.

Mark

Dec 19, 2014
Tartan 30 Baltimore
Hopefully any "emergency" requiring a quick deployment of the stern anchor is short lived! I would have a standard shackle on the anchor in the event my emergency wasn't quite that time critical. Thanks for the input.

John

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I've been practicing soft shackles with various line I have but want to make some for real now for Code Zero blocks. What size line and type should I order to start making a few?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@JRT... here are some ideas.
The soft shackles are beyond strong enough. You can use different dyneema line diameters. The last one pictured is tested to exceed 10,000 lb breaking strength. More than most boats might need. The design breaks at the point the knot goes against the loop. In the design the dyneema is double strength for both loops. Design is Brian Toss's
Soft SHACKLE. #1

TOOLS to make...
TOOLS for Soft Shackle #9

Brian Toss demo of soft shackle. Best and easiest to build in my testing. Super Strong
Brian Toss SoftShackle build...#3

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I assume the blocks you are implementing are to turn the sheets. If so this is an interesting product I came across. Notice the side load capability.

D895C4F3-A189-473A-B8D7-0F415C279ED0.jpeg

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Thanks all, those links are helpful for sure. Looking a bit into this more I think I'll use 3/8 Sampson Control-DPX from the SBO store, any feedback?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
JRT that will make a very strong shackle.. Use a 50” length of to make your shackle. It will be a good length to teach yourself the knot. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I use them for my change in direction blocks for my genoa and some other rigging attached to my toe rail. I also use a splices ring to attach my main sheet fiddle block to the traveler car. I have a handful of different sizes tied up and ready to go. Very handy and strong and very replaceable.

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
For splicing dyneema, ask a welder friend for a piece of stainless TIG wire and bend it in half to form a wand. Maybe get a thick and thin piece of wire for different diameter dyneema. To use, just slide the bent end down the splice from where you want the dyneema end to exit toward and out where you want the dyneema end to enter the splice, pinch the dyneema end in the bent wire loop, and pull through. Easier than trying to push a fid up the splice with the dyneema end taped to it.

Mark

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
3/8" will make a thick shackle (and way overkill in strength), so make sure it will fit through what you want it to attach to.

Mark