Ready Made running rigging

Mar 31, 2012
Nord Cantieri 38 St Marys
I am in the process of replacing all running rigging. Is there a source that will ship ready made sheets and halyards according to my specs?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Buy all mine from Defender.com where they carry New England ropes. Never tried giving them any specs. Just make my own, that way I know the quality of the finished product. Give them a call to see whether they can meet your specs, whatever they are.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Typically you purchase the line at the length you need and then pay a separate price for the splicing and shackles.The splicing costs vary based on the type of line, some lines are harder and therefore more expensive to splice. It will be necessary to add a few feet to the length to account for the line used in the splice.

Here at the SBO store is a good place, I've also used Defender.com and RiggingOnly.com. All three riggers have good service and prices.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Here's the link for SBO's rig shop (Sailboat Owners is the sponsor of this excellent forum, so at least let them give you a quote, for cryin' out loud... they also use Samson rope... which is my choice when it comes to cordage.)

May 10, 2019
Hunter 376 Phoenix AZ
When I replaced the standing rigging and part of the running rigging on our '96 376 I used SecoSouth. They were the original suppliers of both and still have all the original measurements.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Much of the cordage used in running rigging (unless one is an all out racer) is relatively easy to splice.
The same goes for dock lines. Riggers generally do want a fairly hefty price to do the splicing because it takes time. Its worth it if you don’t trust your ability and/or have the time.

[A few years ago, while visiting my favorite odd lots store I found a complete 600 foot spool of New England StaSet, asked the manager how much he wanted for the whole thing. He sold it to me for $50.00! I already knew how to splice, so that was a great find. That was the only time. I never saw another spool in the place after that]

Tsuru

Sep 4, 2019
Oyster 435 Hood River
Defender, West Marine, Rigging Only,Jamestown, SBO among others will be happy to help. This is pretty standard work that they do daily. I like much of the group like New England line. That said, StaSet may not be your best choice for halyard material. I use it on spinnaker halyards but like something with less stretch for Main and Genoa. Like many I do my own splicing but a professional eye splice runs $20-$25 and will be perfect.
Good luck

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@DougM Depending on the diameter that was a smoking deal.

@SailMaster perhaps it is time, as when running rigging often is, for you to engage your inner seaman and take up the art of "Seamanship Knot tying".

Winter is an excellent time to add a seamanship skill to your Master rating.
I offer this link as a place to begin...https://www.animatedknots.com

Tools are very helpful in this new endeavor.
  1. A properly sized tubular fid for the size line you will be splicing..
  2. A good pair of scissors
  3. A sharp knife
  4. An Awl
  5. Thread, needles, and a hand palm (to lock a splice and whipping to finish the ends)
  6. small pair of pliers ( I prefer needle nose pliers)
  7. Some electrical tape
  8. A sharpie to mark your line (and color.. I like blue and pink)
  9. A tape measure. (Critical it you want to get professional looking splices)
  10. Some NEW line to practice on. (New line works best. You can splice old line but it is more difficult do to the build up of dirt)
Tools can be purchased in a kit, or you can improvise with goodies around your home. In a pinch I have used ball point pen tip end as fids and a nail as an awl. Even tape or liquid tape as a temporary whippng til I can get needle and thread to properly lock and finish the ends. Here ia a link to some tools. Splicing Tools

What can you save?
  1. $25-35 for eye splices each.
  2. Soft shackles with 10,000 lb breaking strength (materials cost about $3) about 30min to learn
IMG_0293.jpeg
Tylaska T5 Trigger Release Snap Shackle 5,000lb breaking strength $175
41gjDljqliL.jpeg
Just some thoughts.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Tools are very helpful in this new endeavor.
  1. A properly sized tubular fid for the size line you will be splicing..
  2. A good pair of scissors
  3. A sharp knife
  4. An Awl
  5. Thread, needles, and a hand palm (to lock a splice and whipping to finish the ends)
  6. small pair of pliers ( I prefer needle nose pliers)
  7. Some electrical tape
  8. A sharpie to mark your line (and color.. I like blue and pink)
  9. A tape measure. (Critical it you want to get professional looking splices)
  10. Some NEW line to practice on. (New line works best. You can splice old line but it is more difficult do to the build up of dirt)
:plus: on everything @jssailem said. One addition to his list:
11. Piano wire folded into a wire fid / puller.

I find I use wire much more often than a tubular fid. ~.020 diameter for really tiny dyneema (see Splicing Tiny Dyneema).

.030-.040 for general usage on larger lines, at least up to ~3/8". If you're splicing larger lines, thicker wire might (or might not) work better. I have no experience there, as small lines are the order of the day on my little boat.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Much of the cordage used in running rigging (unless one is an all out racer) is relatively easy to splice.
The same goes for dock lines. Riggers generally do want a fairly hefty price to do the splicing because it takes time. Its worth it if you don’t trust your ability and/or have the time.

[A few years ago, while visiting my favorite odd lots store I found a complete 600 foot spool of New England StaSet, asked the manager how much he wanted for the whole thing. He sold it to me for $50.00! I already knew how to splice, so that was a great find. That was the only time. I never saw another spool in the place after that]
Good Buddy ! You're just now telling me this?