• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

An easy enhanced soft shackle

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Just out of curiosity, where would you want to use a soft shackle?

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Just out of curiosity, where would you want to use a soft shackle?
Use it to attach a block anywhere where you need a little more freedom of movement than a steel shackle provides.
Spinnaker or jib sheets with eye splices in them.
I leave one attached to the end of my boom for the halyard to attach to (in lieu of a topping lift).

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
OK. Thanks for the quick reply. I had heard about putting them at the jib sheet ends. I currently use a single jib sheet with a cow hitch in the middle. Soft shackles better?

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
OK. Thanks for the quick reply. I had heard about putting them at the jib sheet ends. I currently use a single jib sheet with a cow hitch in the middle. Soft shackles better?
I'm a fan of bowlines honestly... but that's a conversation for another thread.

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
I like the cow hitch too... makes the jib clew slide over the stays'l stay easier than a bowline would.

I could however see using soft shackles for blocks to change the lead angle for the jib sheets. Seems like a great use.

Jul 13, 2004
-Manta Catamaran -Manta 40 Mystic, CT
If you don't need to remove or change the jib sheets often, I can't see anything easier or better than a cow hitch. That is what I've always used. I guess the downside is that if you ever chafe or damage one leg, you need to replace the whole thing.

Like mentioned earlier, we also use a soft shackle to connect our bridle to the anchor chain.

Mark

Dec 19, 2014
Tartan 30 Baltimore
Dyneema is more abrasion resistant than high carbon steel. One of its common usages is in chafe protectors for other rope types - also in cut and abrasion resistant gloves. Our shackles show no wear after a year of dragging through sand and rubble. If we regularly anchored in sharp rocks or coral (who would?), then I might have more concern. Even just cutting this stuff is tough to do - I keep a special ceramic knife for this purpose (cuts it like butter). A regular steel knife needs to be sawed back and forth and the dyneema often frays as it cuts.

But the thing to remember is that a soft shackle costs $1 and 15min of time. I keep several around and can just replace one at any sign of weakening, or just on a routine basis.

Mark
Thanks Mark. I was just thinking of adding an "emergency" anchor on my stern rail but didn't want to leave the chain and rode attached because I have no easy way to get it into the lazarette and don't want to put more holes in the boat. A simple soft shackle would be a very quick way to attach the rode and deploy the anchor in an emergency.

Jul 13, 2004
-Manta Catamaran -Manta 40 Mystic, CT
Thanks Mark. I was just thinking of adding an "emergency" anchor on my stern rail but didn't want to leave the chain and rode attached because I have no easy way to get it into the lazarette and don't want to put more holes in the boat. A simple soft shackle would be a very quick way to attach the rode and deploy the anchor in an emergency.
To clarify, we use a soft shackle to attach our bridle (snubber) to the chain - not to attach the chain to the anchor.

However, quickly attaching the rode to the anchor in an emergency situation like you describe would be fine, although I would consider that a short-term usage only.

Mark

Dec 19, 2014
Tartan 30 Baltimore
Hopefully any "emergency" requiring a quick deployment of the stern anchor is short lived! I would have a standard shackle on the anchor in the event my emergency wasn't quite that time critical. Thanks for the input.

John