alcohol or propane, the age old question

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
If you already have the propane stove top why not keep propane. Easy to redo lines / regulator / solenoid.
I have had alcohol and propane.... my preference is propane.

Good luck

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Alcohol unless treated has a colorless flame. It floats on water, so if you have a spill/ fire you need to have the right extinguisher. Propane... heavier than air.. will always settle to low areas.

CNG lighter than air. Any release will go to atmosphere.

I only recommend CNG . I do have a rail mounted propane BBQ grill. Its' bottles are stored in an air tight sealing container...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
hey everybody, getting my thoughts together for the next sailing season, I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, but until spring I have time to figure things out and start shopping, now I'm questioning about the galley, should I keep the OLD propane 2 burner stove, which needs new hoses, regulator... I have no idea what else I will need to get it working and safe, or should I go with a simple 2 burner gimballed alcool stove ? no hose to route, no need for a gas detector... they are expensive though. what do you guys use and why?

I will be using a propane outboard and will likely add a Bbq as well, so how should I connect that if I go with a propane stove?
The first question to ask yourself is, "what type of cooking do I intend to do?"

Then, ask how much time, effort, and money do I want to spend?

And then, how do I intend to use the boat?

A propane system done properly is both safe and expensive to set up. It will provide a cooking experience similar to one at home. Done incorrectly, there is a good chance the boat will end up on the bottom.

An alcohol stove, like the Origios, are safe is used properly and easy to install and maintain. The downside is they are a little slower to boil a pot of water. Boiling a pint of water to make some tea or coffee only takes a couple of minutes longer with alcohol than it does with propane. If you are boiling a pot of water to feed pasta to a small army, you'll find an alcohol stove not to your liking.

If you intend to use the boat as a live aboard or do extensive cruising, then it may be worthwhile to spend the time and money for a proper propane set up. If the use is short cruises, weekends, in the short Great Lakes season, then the alcohol stove will be more than adequate.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
there is also butane portable systems depending on need. (Butane is also heavier than air)

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
I have an Origo 6000 alcohol stove with an oven and I like it. No propane systems, it is simple and works well. The two burners are 6,800 BTUs each vs. a propane stove that typically has one 9,000 BTU burner and one 4,000 BTU burner. The difference in heat output is small. May be 20% longer to boil water. If I were to change in the future it would be to electric.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I have an Origo 6000 alcohol stove with an oven and I like it. No propane systems, it is simple and works well. The two burners are 6,800 BTUs each vs. a propane stove that typically has one 9,000 BTU burner and one 4,000 BTU burner. The difference in heat output is small. May be 20% longer to boil water. If I were to change in the future it would be to electric.
I see you are in Marina del Rey. Just an FYI: if you haven't already heard, denatured alcohol is now banned in California.

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
1E702C80-C86F-4A92-B316-46108C3E87C8.jpeg
Here is a prototype of my gimballed double jetboil stove, still need to figure out how to install in on the boat and I plan to add a nylon washer to help it swing

Aug 17, 2013
I’ve updated my prototype with longer side arms and some aluminium legs, now I‘m looking on how to fix the legs on the boat.image.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
I’ve updated my prototype with longer side arms and some aluminium legs, now I‘m looking on how to fix the legs on the boat.View attachment 173923
You'll have to add weight to the bottom or it will be top heavy the weight will be too close to the pivot point. Try adding the stove and a pot of water, see how it swings.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Fred . I am following this one closely.
With the weight of the gas cansters so far below the swing axis, I reckon you have a pretty stable design.
Maybe a bit of added ballast, but not that much.
Once you get the physic worked out I will be right behind you on the build.
Gary

Aug 17, 2013
As soon as I work out how to fasten it to the boat, I’ll start testing it and get back to you

Jan 11, 2014
Fred . I am following this one closely.
With the weight of the gas cansters so far below the swing axis, I reckon you have a pretty stable design.
Maybe a bit of added ballast, but not that much.
Once you get the physic worked out I will be right behind you on the build.
Gary
A full canister of gas weighs less than 2 pounds, 1 pound for the gas and the rest for the canister. A quart of water weighs 2 lbs, plus the pot, plus the burner. That makes the stove itself top heavy and moves the CG up high.

As soon as I work out how to fasten it to the boat, I’ll start testing it and get back to you
Do some bench testing to work out the bugs first.

Go to images.google.com and search for "single burner gimbaled marine stoves"

Also take at look at this article: The Boiling Point: Five-Way Single-burner Galley Stove Test - Practical Sailor Print Edition Article

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Where do you plan on storing these cylinders? My understanding is that these are propane/butane fuel sources. Do you really want to store these inside the cabin. Both propane and butane are heavier than air and any leak will sink to the lowest point. Just asking.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I suspect that, reflecting the risk of fire/explosion, your insurance company will not cover the boat with "portable" LPG or similar-fuel canisters stored inside. Without proof of insurance most marinas will not rent you a slip. You can certainly keep your stove fuel cans stored properly outside, vented properly. Bring them inside only while actually cooking. We used to do something like that several decades ago when cooking on one-burner butane gimbaled stove in our cuddy cabin sailboat.
Think it over carefully, and do not underestimate the risk. Please.