alcohol or propane, the age old question

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
This is the result so far, I’ll definitely need to add some counterweights on the lower shelf7D07FCF1-50C3-4A7E-BD15-F96D53A8B7C9.jpegE0145814-58AB-456B-BE0E-891F48AE027E.jpegC66FAE37-05AC-4C05-ADD6-0DDA506EE9CF.jpeg

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Will you make the gimbal out of stainless or aluminum? I would worry about the wood being a little too close to open flame. Other than that (and the counterweights you mentioned), it looks like it could work.

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
I have plan B all set up in case plan A doesn't work, I just found an alcool stove 2 hours away from my place for 50$

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I don't know why this question keeps coming up on these forums. With a modern propane stove and the safety systems available to accompany them, it would take a complete moron to have a problem with a modern propane system. Of course, like any other system on a boat, one should inspect the stove, lines, tanks, connections and safety systems periodically.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I don't know why this question keeps coming up on these forums. With a modern propane stove and the safety systems available to accompany them, it would take a complete moron to have a problem with a modern propane system. Of course, like any other system on a boat, one should inspect the stove, lines, tanks, connections and safety systems periodically.
BECAUSE.... they are called accidents NOT purposes....

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
You may be able to safely store your propane bottles in your anchor locker which should have an overboard drain.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
For me, it is the size and use of the boat. My last boat had a nice propane system with all of the required bells. Outside locker. Continuous lines. Sensors in both hulls. It ran 4 appliances. It was just like home and I loved it. If I were cruising full time, there is no question in my mind that propane is well worth the trouble.

Regarding safety, a proper propane system is quite good. In some ways it feels safer; any fuel burning devise can start fires, and misfires and flue problems are less likely with propane. Even fuel oil furnaces can burn down a house. Just don't take shortcuts.

The prior boat and my current boat are too small for installed propane to make sense. They are also day sailed more than cruised, like the last one. The first used camp stoves, the F-24 has a non-pressurized alcohol stove. I think all 3 made sense. But it is about weight, expense, and space, not safety.

----

Did you catch the vented stove-top heater in Good Old Boat? It keeps my cabin toasty without moisture or CO2 build-up.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've had propane, non pressurized and pressurized alcohol and with the first two I sorta missed the drama of the pressurized. It's a childhood memory thing. My Mother was a fledging pyromaniac and to watch her light that stove was exciting. Either we would have a hot meal or the boat was going to burn to the waterline. We never knew. My father standing nearby with the fire extinguisher just added to the drama. Ah memories.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I prefer propane. If it is already in your boat, it is not hard to replace components as apposed to starting from scratch. Alcohol doesn't burn as hot, hence wait longer for things to cook, and it also puts moisture in the air so that you could have water dripping from your headliner, etc.
Back in the days of Kenyon stoves that were pressurized, unexpected flare-ups were common, which often got out of hand and the worst thing to have on a boat is a fire.
The Origo stoves are non pressurized (no unexpected flare-ups) and heat control is done with a gate cover that swings back and forth to expose more flame area, or less, and to shut it off, you cover up the entire hole to cut out the oxygen. Kind of like a Sterno fuel supply with repositioning the lid.
One thing about alcohol is a not so out of control fire can be extinguished with water.
The other thing is to purchase fuel that has no odor. They are spendier, but still won't break the bank.