alcohol or propane, the age old question

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
hey everybody, getting my thoughts together for the next sailing season, I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, but until spring I have time to figure things out and start shopping, now I'm questioning about the galley, should I keep the OLD propane 2 burner stove, which needs new hoses, regulator... I have no idea what else I will need to get it working and safe, or should I go with a simple 2 burner gimballed alcool stove ? no hose to route, no need for a gas detector... they are expensive though. what do you guys use and why?

I will be using a propane outboard and will likely add a Bbq as well, so how should I connect that if I go with a propane stove?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am not necessarily advocating this, but the PO of my boat ran a propane line from the solenoid, to a quick disconnect mounted in the engine control panel....and set the BBQ with a gas hose with a quick disconnect fitting on the end, so when he wanted to use the BBQ, he could just turn on the solenoid, plug the BBQ hose into the quick disconnect and light the grill.

I think he has done a decent job of running the hose, it requires the solenoid to be on, etc. But I am not too wild about the quick-disconnect. Think air hose fitting. It is outside in the cockpit, but I am not sure how gas-tight it is. I don’t smell propane when I use the BBQ, but i am considering changing the grill over to small bottles.

I am a fan of propane for the stove. I had a non-pressure alcohol stove in my previous boat, and find propane to be more convenient. I hated filing those alcohol canisters and I thought they put off a smell. I know it could be caused by the wrong choice of fuel, but I think I was burning the right stuff, and it still smelled.

My current boat also has an oven, which I like. I guess you can get an alcohol stove and oven, but I have no idea how well those work...

Yes, you have to respect propane, but we use it in our homes and don’t have too many concerns about that.

Greg

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I chose an Origo 2 burner, gimbled, alcohol stove top. It's bullet proof.
Problem appears to be finding one. In the US, Dometic took over the line.
Some say they discontinued the stoves, others say the stoves are available in Canada from a reputable online seller.
Hopefully someone knows the current skinny and will chime in.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Fred, assuming you have a proper propane locker (i.e. vented, sealed, etc.) stick with the propane.

I think that the alcohol is actually not as safe in the hands of most people vs. a proper propane set-up. You could go with a simple Force 10 stove with maybe an oven? Buy Canada ;^)))

Aug 17, 2013
I was thinking about mounting the tank over the transom as I don't have a propane locker.
an oven would be nice but no room in my small 26fter

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I think it is really a matter of choice. Both systems work well.

I personally prefer propane although at the moment I'm using alcohol. I've also used diesel. I would consider one of the kerosene stoves but likely only if I was redesigning the whole kitchen.

But more likely would use propane. I like the easy on/off, obvious flame and the control. Alcohol seems to have an odor some dislike. The alcohol stoves that aren't pressurized I can never see the flames on and don't like the way they cook compared to propane. Alcohol is also more expensive than propane.

Some people don't like the potential downsides of propane. Some people don't like the way the alcohol stoves work for numerous reasons. What do you prefer?

dj

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I was thinking about mounting the tank over the transom as I don't have a propane locker.
an oven would be nice but no room in my small 26fter

In that case, I'm not sure what to advise. Propane needs to be done right.

Natural Gas is somewhat easier, but a pain in the ass to get refilled; and, no one that I know that has had a stove with that fuel source really liked it.

You just need to be careful with an alcohol stove. Too much alcohol can cause a fire. It's hard to spot.

How did the propane stove that you have work? Where was the tank or were the bottle(s)?

Aug 17, 2013
at this point I'm not sure which I prefer, never used alcool so can't say, as I mentioned in my op I just don't know how to design and install a propane system for my needs, so alcool seems simpler lol, I could also use my camping stoves, just need to mount them to a gimbal and I'd have a nice one burner system.
just need to know what I'm getting into if I go with propane.

Aug 17, 2013
I'm not sure how the previous owner made it work for her, I'll have to ask her next time I'm at the boat (3 hour drive) the propane stove looks really old and grimy, haven't found the stove top, just the stove itself

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Do you just want a stove top or also an oven? If just a stove top, either work. If you want an oven also, it's hard to find an alcohol stove with an oven. I've never seen one but folks here have posted they exist I understand.

A propane installation needs to be done right. (As already stated). You would do well to consult with a pro on the propane installation. A pro that works on boats not just a propane place.

dj

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
I could also use my camping stoves, just need to mount them to a gimbal and I'd have a nice one burner system.

There's you answer, Fred.
Nice little project making the gimbals

Gary

Aug 17, 2013
I wish Jetboil stil make their suspension system, I found a shop made gimbal for it but they want 135 euros for it, but it is well made and can be mounted inside or outside the cabin

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
just a stove top, my boat is too small for an oven
Nope, it isn't- A pressure cooker with the rubber ring taken out works great as an oven, I have baked potatoes, bread, cakes, and various other things in mine. I have a 6 quart. You do need something to keep the pans off the bottom- i use a flower pot clay saucer
canning-equipment.jpg

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Also, for long term use, Alcohol is THE most expensive fuel you can use. I'm sort of an old guy, so I use kerosene- In Nassau
stove2.jpg
in 2011, alcohol was $30 a gallon.

Aug 17, 2013
I think I'll build a gimbal for 2 jetboil stoves to have a double burner system, it's going to be the cheapest and most efficient system for me, I'll build a simple one direction gimbal to install in place of the propane stove, with jetboil it doesn't take long to boil water or cook food so gas will last long enough and is easy to find around here. I can even use it with a pan or pot, but the best is with the jetboil pots that secure to the burner so no spill.
thank you everyone for your help, I'll post pictures as soon as I get my rough draft project done.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Alcohol is okay if you don’t mind waiting 20 minutes for your kettle to come to a boil.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Type of fuel is far less important than BTU's per burner. A 5000 BTU burner provides that same heat no matter whether you burn alcohol, LPG, or excite some electrons. (The water in the kettle does not care)
We have used a two burner LPG countertop cooker for ten years on the prior boat. I did the whole install - hoses, remote tank and valve, sniffer, and remote shutoff. Worked great, but as others have noted you have to constantly be aware of the danger.

Now we have been using a NON-PRESSURE Origo range for twenty years. No complication; it just works. Cooks just as fast and the oven makes cookies and rolls.

Note B: most boat owners get used to whatever cooking apparatus their boat has and think it is wonderful or at least acceptable.
Subjective sort of thing. :)

We cruise about a month a summer, so cost of the fuel is not a concern... this might get reexamined if we lived aboard full time.

Good luck on finding an Origo model 3000. As noted, they are hard to find now. Odd, since even "tiny house" owners have web sites extolling their virtues. I know we sailors are a shrinking niche market, but I thought that other markets might provide enough volume to keep them in production. (Sigh...)

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
For years I used a Swedish two burner Primus marine propane stove top connected to a regulator, a pressure switch and an adapter to use the 1 lb bottles which I would refill at home from the 20# grill tank. The stove I had acquired new in the box but it had been discontinued 10 years earlier by the Manufacturer and could not find the pot holders . It was a quality unit and had thermocouple switches which if the flame blew off they would cut off fuel flow. For safety I would only connect the propane bottle when the stove was going to be used and it would be disconnected immediately after cooking. The bottles were inspected after every use to make sure the seal was not leaking and the only liberty I took was storing them in the cabin instead of the anchor locker to prevent the spring loaded seal from developing rust. At the time it was a definite improvement from a pressurized alcohol stove. If I had to do it again I would go with a non-pressurized Origo alcohol stove. The only drawback to the use of alcohol is that the smell may make some people queasy. You use to be able to get denatured alcohol at a hardware store much cheaper than the fancy stuff sold at WM. As long as you kept the gaskets on the burners you could limit fuel evaporation from the canisters. I now have a two burner with oven Force 10 with a full propane system install with remote switch, solenoid and tanks locker; have not noticed that much of an improvement for ease of use than the previous system in the old boat. I mostly use the oven for storage as it is rarely used. We mostly cook at the house, freeze and then reheat on the boat.