Adding refrigeration on an O'day 35

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I have the self pumping Isotherm unit. Self pumping (special galley sink thru-hull) feature works well (at least here in the NE). Do not believe their claims about their electronic speed adjusting thermostat. According to their claims this optional device will run the compressor at high speed when the engine is running and automatically switch to low speed when on batteries only. Not true. You must manually switch it from high to low. The freezer contains the evaporator coils and spills into the fridge. Some thermostats measure the freezer temperature and some measure the box temperature to control the compressor.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Regarding old ice box conversions: Most old ice boxes are deep top loading types. This design was fine with the bottom filled with ice. Once converted to refrigeration you have a very deep refrigerator. What are you going to do? Fill it with food and beer? You will not see the stuff on the bottom until Fall when you empty it out for the Winter. Consider building stackable boxes that fit in your space. You can lift out the top box and then the bottom box for total access.View attachment 189699View attachment 189700
My top loader is pretty deep, but I put a couple of these can dispensers, standing on end, to keep the beer nice and tidy, a few baskets for some small plastic wine bottles, water bottles, etc. and then condiments, sandwiches, etc get throw on top.

328D395F-10CC-49F8-A669-EFFC79C20ED8.png

For my normal day sails, it is great. The beer is always cold!

Greg

Feb 22, 2010
Oday 322 Delaware River
................ Do not believe their claims about their electronic speed adjusting thermostat. According to their claims this optional device will run the compressor at high speed when the engine is running and automatically switch to low speed when on batteries only. Not true. You must manually switch it from high to low. ...............
I have the Isotherm refrig unit with the optional electronic control. My experience is different than you state.

I find that the unit has good intelligence about whether it has engine/shore power voltage, or just battery voltage. Have you read the section on configuration of the dip-switches, and have you configured the unit to the behavior you want? It allows configuration for refer/freezer, target temperature ranges, min/max voltages, etc. When on higher voltage (engine/shore power) the unit runs at full speed and takes the box down to the target low temperature as rapidly as possible. When on battery power, the unit runs at a lower speed, and cycles within the broader temperate range window configured. You can hear the different compressor speeds (though the compressor is extremely quiet) sitting in a very silent cabin at the dock, with shore power on and shore power off.

I am very pleased with the unit, and glad I spent the small amount extra for the smart energy control controller.

Regards,
Andre

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Thermostat unit I have has no dip switches. It is different from the one you have. Mine came with a dashboard that displayed temperatures and settings. Dashboard had control buttons. Sensing device is in refrigerator compartment. Does about half of the features it claims. I don't remember the part name.

Feb 22, 2010
Oday 322 Delaware River
Thermostat unit I have has no dip switches. It is different from the one you have. Mine came with a dashboard that displayed temperatures and settings. Dashboard had control buttons. Sensing device is in refrigerator compartment. Does about half of the features it claims. I don't remember the part name.
Ah, that explains our different experience.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
The blue module to attach to the circuit board then attach your wires too is the option he is talking about. It was a extra $100 for me. The first one had a brown circuit on delivery and the second one never kept a consistent temperature even while plugged into 120volt/charger. I gave up and IsoTherm sent me a free standard thermostat and the unit has worked perfect ever since.