Adding another battery

Sep 25, 2019
2002 Cat 22 MkII Lake Somerville
As FYI...I just had an interesting conversation with a guy named Mike at Renogy technical support. I asked him if their 30W panel came with MC4 connectors installed on the leads or did it ship with bare wire ends? He told me it does not come with MC4 connectors and the leads are 16 AWG at approx 4.5' long. He also said they used to come w/ heavier wire AND the MC4 connectors but those panels are no longer available. :what:

Hmmm...guess if I decide to stick w/ Renogy then that takes me back to trying out the 2-pin polarized plug for easy disconnect.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
@Zinger88 I went cheap and got the Newpowa. The wires might be 16 ga. but I was just going to use some of the waterproof heat shrink spade connectors .

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
As FYI...I just had an interesting conversation with a guy named Mike at Renogy technical support. I asked him if their 30W panel came with MC4 connectors installed on the leads or did it ship with bare wire ends? He told me it does not come with MC4 connectors and the leads are 16 AWG at approx 4.5' long. He also said they used to come w/ heavier wire AND the MC4 connectors but those panels are no longer available. :what:
Ah, I see. Mine are the old style then. But, while bigger wire is almost always better, I doubt there will be much loss while pushing 1.5A max through such a short run of wire.

Personally, if I couldn't use MC4's, I would just butt splice the wires with THESE. Then run the wires through a small hole drilled way up high in the coaming pocket, and be done with it. On a blue water boat, quick disconnects would be a must ... not so much on a C22. Additionally, the way my panels are mounted, they (surprisingly) NEVER flop around in the wind, even when the clamps are not tightened. I don't even lash them down while trailering anymore, or even tighten the clamps for that matter. The panels just don't move, for whatever reason.

So, I would be much more concerned with keeping the connections dry than with the ability to disconnect them quickly.

JMHO, YMMV, etc ... ;)

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Has anyone tried one of the 100 watt, semi-flexible, panels? I was considering trying a detachable type mounting of one, on the top of the bimini, but haven't actually done it yet. I know it'll catch less sun, and won't have an adjustable angle like a stern pulpit mount, etc.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Has anyone tried one of the 100 watt, semi-flexible, panels? I was considering trying a detachable type mounting of one, on the top of the bimini, but haven't actually done it yet. I know it'll catch less sun, and won't have an adjustable angle like a stern pulpit mount, etc.
I use 2 50w semi-flexible panels, velcro'd to the bimini. Not as clean and neat as @Gene Neill's installation, but I have a Lifesling and (most importantly) the BBQ on the stern pulpit. Priorities, you know...

The semi-flexible panels have worked pretty well for us. We went through one a few years ago (our first was a 100w). But I think that was probably due to a friend stepping on it when I'd laid it in the cockpit; so I can't blame the cheap panels for that. The next time I went with 2x 50w - the cost was within ~$10 of one 100w panel, and if one breaks, I still have 1/2 of my solar.

I use MC-4 connectors, but if your panels don't already have those, I would consider trailer connectors. There are some notes on the deck-to-mast electrical connections at Deck to mast electrical connection. The same logic applies for solar (but with the 2-wire version like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057ZQJ12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). In fact, I think I'm going to use one to wire my outboard alternator this weekend.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Thanks Aaron - great information. I actually just did the exact same thing with the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057ZQJ12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Used it on the alternator wire, coming from the Sailpro - works great. It's been out in the weather for over a year, with just a little dialetic grease on the pins, and still holding up really well. I'm going to use a trailer connector for the mast wiring, based on your earlier suggestions. My next project....

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Baby steps during these cold wet months...
Made the panel mount out of a cheap plastic cutting board, some teak and the Sea Dog clamps. Hoping the wood offset will allow for folding it over flat inboard for trailering.

IMG_20200118_133053.jpg

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The clamps *may* have difficulty holding the panel level, they way the panel is offset outboard a couple inches. At a 45 degree angle it's no problem, but dead level requires a lot of grip. We have to really tighten our clamps 100% to hold the panels level, and that's with the inboard edge of our panels being slightly inboard of the rail. Your panel will have more leverage.

You could always add a third clamp if the panels have a tendency to "sag". But you needn't worry about trailering, I promise the panel will not flap.

Either way, nice work! You will love the result.:thumbup:

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
The clamps *may* have difficulty holding the panel level, they way the panel is offset outboard a couple inches. At a 45 degree angle it's no problem, but dead level requires a lot of grip. We have to really tighten our clamps 100% to hold the panels level, and that's with the inboard edge of our panels being slightly inboard of the rail. Your panel will have more leverage.
Hmm, ya think some grip tape on the rail would help?

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Another question,
The boat came with a 6 watt panel and a sailpro 6h tohatsu.
Would it make sense to wire the tohatsu and the 30W solar in parallel to the mppt controller and maybe even the old 6W panel since I already have it? Question being, should I move the tohatsu to the controller rather than leaving it wired straight to the battery?

Last edited:

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
If you add a fold out leg on the bottom of the panel that attaches lower to the pushpit at like a 45 degree angle, the panel will never droop.

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Curious, how are you using the stereo on your boat? I used an old phone loaded with mp3 and a waterproof Bluetooth Sony speaker on my O'Day 25 and love it, plus no batter connections to worry about. A couple of large portable cell phone battery banks and you could keep everything running a long time.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
FYI: Measuring 20.86V at 1.64A with this panel facing nearly directly at a January Pennsylvania Sun, so actually getting ~33 Watts with only the multimeter connected.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Curious, how are you using the stereo on your boat? I used an old phone loaded with mp3 and a waterproof Bluetooth Sony speaker on my O'Day 25 and love it, plus no batter connections to worry about. A couple of large portable cell phone battery banks and you could keep everything running a long time.
The stereo that came with the boat has a USB plug so I just load up a thumb drive with mp3s.
I got a bluetooth speaker that has a built in micro sd card but the quality of sound is pretty poor, I also have one of the portable phone chargers and a battery jump box I could use in a pinch.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
This panel looks so small on my boat, maybe I should get another! Is this how the disease starts?

Sep 25, 2019
2002 Cat 22 MkII Lake Somerville
This panel looks so small on my boat, maybe I should get another! Is this how the disease starts?
Hang in there Lazy1...all my ordered items just arrived today so I'll be diving in with ya this week! :cool: