Adding another battery

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
Cutting board is a good idea, I was thinking it was something like PVC.

Sep 25, 2019
2002 Cat 22 MkII Lake Somerville
Lazy 1...would you mind posting your energy calculation? It appears you and I are in very similar situations trying to figure out a new solar setup with similar electrical requirements and battery. However I probably have a few less electrical items then you at this point. I too have begun to narrow it down to a 30 watt panel w/ Victron MPPT 75/10 controller based off of Gene's setup.

Thanks...

Zinger88
~~ _/) ~

Sep 25, 2019
Here's what I came up with for my minimal electrical usage. Mainly doing afternoon sails with some evening lighting needs while returning to the slip. Feel free to poke holes in it:

1578059276388.png

Zinger88
~~ _/) ~

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Sure Zinger88,
This my estimate of what I would give and take for a over night with maybe starting from 10am to 4pm the next day.
I don't have a fishfinder yet and my autohelm is broken so not including those at this point
Capture.PNG

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Hmm, the more i read maybe I should have popped for the 24 volt 30 watt panel.

Sep 25, 2019
Gene,

As noted previously, I'm planning on using only one 30 watt panel and Victron MPPT 75/10 controller to recharge my 81 amp hour house battery. Trying to keep this as simple as possible so can you provide some advice on the cable specs (size & length) you utilized to go from your solar panels to controller and controller to battery? I'm assuming you used the bus bars prior to controller since you have two solar panels? This may be a dumb question...but with only one solar panel can I wire directly from panel to controller and then straight from controller to battery? Did you fabricate your own cable lengths and connectors or did you purchase them prefab'd?

Thanks in advance!

Zinger88
~~ _/) ~

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
The bus bars by the MPPT are not needed for one panel and not absolutely necessary for running two panels in parallel.
However it does make the series easier to modify or reverse engineer.
From what I have been seeing there is no need to go larger than 14 ga. for this size system between MPPT and battery and my panel came with remarkably thin wires, maybe 16 or 18? DC power is lossy so distance is somewhat important, keep it under 10 feet-ish between each of PV-MPPT-Battery.
I got 10 ft of 12 ga., 25 ft of 14 ga., and 25ft. of 16 ga. to rewire my setup all tinned copper even though I am fresh water trailered.
I expect to have a lot of spare wire.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
in addition, amps melt wires...
PV -> MPPT is higher voltage lower amps so smaller wire is okay
MPPT -> Battery is lower volts but higher amps that's you biggest wire (lowest gauge)

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I'm assuming you used the bus bars prior to controller since you have two solar panels? This may be a dumb question...but with only one solar panel can I wire directly from panel to controller and then straight from controller to battery?
Correct.

Bus bars were necessary in my case, because the controller has only one PV+ and one PV- terminal, each of which are too small for more than one cable. No need for bus bars with one panel, though.

I used prefab cables from the panel manufacturer (Renogy) like THESE. They are 10AWG, which is probably overkill for 1.6A panels, but that's what Renogy panels are wired with, which was fine with me. The thicker the better, and the shorter the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Sep 30, 2013
By the way, have you bought your controller yet?

If not, I recommend getting one with built-in Bluetooth. Mine was not, so I had to buy and add a Bluetooth dongle (black thingy in the top left of my pic). You don't "need" Bluetooth, but you WILL like it. The Victron controller app is WONDERFUL.

Sep 25, 2019
Thanks Gene and Lazy1. And yes...I'll be purchasing the controller w/ built-in bluetooth. I like the idea of being able to monitor my battery and charging via Victron's app on iphone. Plans are to mount PV on the stern rail and run cable to controller mounted near battery which is located behind cabin cooler step on MkII. Hopefully I can get out to the boat this week to measure needed cable lengths. OK....so 10 AWG for PV->Controller, but what size recommended for Controller ->Battery? Distance should only less than 2' for that run.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Thanks Gene and Lazy1. And yes...I'll be purchasing the controller w/ built-in bluetooth. I like the idea of being able to monitor my battery and charging via Victron's app on iphone. Plans are to mount PV on the stern rail and run cable to controller mounted near battery which is located behind cabin cooler step on MkII. Hopefully I can get out to the boat this week to measure needed cable lengths. OK....so 10 AWG for PV->Controller, but what size recommended for Controller ->Battery? Distance should only less than 2' for that run.
@Zinger88: You'd be fine with 14 AWG for the full run. 10 AWG is overkill, but would give you lots of headroom for future expansion if ever needed. The rule of thumb I've heard is to target <= 3% voltage drop for systems you really care about. (e.g. see Marine Wire Size and Ampacity | West Marine).

An online voltage-drop calculator will work out the numbers for you. E.g., at 12v, 2.5A, 12 feet total, I get 0.5% voltage drop.

So if you already have 10 AWG wire and yellow crimp connectors, I say use that for the full system. If you want to save a little, you'd be totally fine with 12 or 14. FWIW - I used 10 and 12 for my 100w system, which is quite a bit larger than the 30w you're looking at.

Sep 25, 2019
I was searching thru old post's regarding solar connectors/plugs and found this by CaptDon01. Unfortunately he's no longer on the forum but he did state that he'd used it for a few years w/ no issues. Has anyone else utilized a 2-pin polarized plug and socket cable connector like this as a thru-deck plug for solar setup?

Where to connect Solar Panel on a small system?

C-22 Solar Pannel 004.jpg

They're rated for 3A which I would assume would work with my 30 Watt panel which is a 1.6A?

61eyLAymldL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Sea-Dog Polarized Connectors

Sep 30, 2013
Renogy panels come set up for MC4 connectors. At least mine did ...

Sep 25, 2019
Renogy panels come set up for MC4 connectors. At least mine did ...
I'm just looking at all options at this point and was thinking of using the thru-deck plug more as a way of being able to quickly disconnect the solar panel and stow away if I wanted to. For those who currently have MC4 connectors...how difficult (or easy) is it to disconnect/reconnect them?

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I'm just looking at all options at this point and was thinking of using the thru-deck plug more as a way of being able to quickly disconnect the solar panel and stow away if I wanted to. For those who currently have MC4 connectors...how difficult (or easy) is it to disconnect/reconnect them?
Disconnecting MC-4's only takes a few seconds. Maybe a bit more than a trailer plug, but only marginally.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
An observation...
The MC4s that I see are for 10-12 ga. wire and my 30W panel came with what looks like 18 ga. bare end wires.

Sep 25, 2019
An observation...
The MC4s that I see are for 10-12 ga. wire and my 30W panel came with what looks like 18 ga. bare end wires.
I haven't ordered my panel yet...which one did you get? I was considering the Renogy...