Add starting relay

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Our O'day 34 purchased last year will sometimes "click" when using key several time before it starts. No problems with battery, tested fine. The boat broker told us that was "nomal" It doesn't sound normal. Will a starting relay fix that?
Yes

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Many thanks to all who have chimed in to help me with this problem. I ordered the CH relay this am. I expect this will solve a huge problem for me not the least if which was starting the engine.

I was explaining to my wife, a novice sailor, how to start the engine for a MOB drill. click, click click click. I got the look, you know the look followed by "why doesn't it start". She said she would just "use Her cell phone to call someone if you fall off the boat" My response " yeah do that"

Thanks again everyone.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
The relay may boost the voltage to activate the starter solenoid. If your terminals at the solenoid, at the el cheap fuse holder, at the panel, or the harness connections have corrosion you still need to clean those up. The boat is over thirty years old and likely those areas have never been cleaned up. I did mine a few years ago and it made a big difference.

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
This is probably a different scenario, but my boat has to be turned completely off before it will engage the starter again. Not sure why, but it just is...

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
This is probably a different scenario, but my boat has to be turned completely off before it will engage the starter again. Not sure why, but it just is...
Why are you trying to start a boat that is already running?

Apr 7, 2016
Why are you trying to start a boat that is already running?
LOL, sometimes I don't get the key completely turned back of off. Or begin to turn it over and remember I forgot to open the intake through hull... or a few other reasons, but those are the main ones.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@907Juice. You want to be sure to turn it off. Otherwise you are draining the battery while sailing.

@daviddp While the cell phone sounds good, (a simple known tool) it is not good for a rescue of a MOB. More boats are on the water then where cell service is. Better is a VHF radio on Channel 16. If a small boat, pick up a portable VHF radio. You can even take one with you (buckled in your PFD that you are wearing). Or have two one for your boat that your wife can use. The Channel 16 call is “MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY MAN OVER BOARD This is “ship name”. That way you broadcast the problem and not only the Coast Guard but any boat in the vicinity that can hear the call. The CG can hear your message and they can locate your call using the radio if the person does not know where they are.

Or up grade to a DSC VHF radio that will broadcast your message and your location.

I sail solo frequently and if I go overboard the PFD, a drysuit and the radio are my lifelines to a possible rescue. Sounds like if you go in the water you may be in the same situation.

Apr 7, 2016
Yeah, everything shuts down. The switch is old and sometime I gotta show it who is boss.

Apr 7, 2016
How do you accomplish this? :yikes:
They same way you let your spouse know who is boss!!! You ask nicely and use a gentle touch.

I just have to cycle it one time. But this time I make sure it give it a little extra twist. I don’t like to force anything... always works the next time so I’m pretty sure it is operator error.

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
So I'm sorry to be thick about this, but the ford type solenoid and the Cole Hersee 24037 don't require a wire to ground

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
So I'm sorry to be thick about this, but the ford type solenoid and the Cole Hersee 24037 don't require a wire to ground

The Cole Hersee 24037 is grounded through the body/metal mount. For Ford type relays it depends which one you buy. I have one we stock here that is a simple three terminal phenolic body relay that is grounded though the mount ear. I think we sell them to customers for about $21.00...

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
on many boats the voltage to the starter goes from the battery up to the key switch panel in the cockpit then back down to the starter. my old yan 2GM20 F had a voltage drop problem after about 15 years, despite cleaning all relevant terminals here to there. the yanmar diesel course at mack boring offered a simple solution to this well known problem with remote yanmar b panels: : installing a momentary start switch, appropriately sized, directly off the battery + terminal to the appropriate terminal of the starter. did that, it works.

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
The Cole Hersee 24037 is grounded through the body/metal mount. For Ford type relays it depends which one you buy. I have one we stock here that is a simple three terminal phenolic body relay that is grounded though the mount ear. I think we sell them to customers for about $21.00...
Sorry being thisck again so this means that the relay needs to be attached to the engine or other grounded object ?
Thanks

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Sorry being thisck again so this means that the relay needs to be attached to the engine or other grounded object ?
Thanks
Yes. For your application the body of that particular solenoid (24037) needs to be attached to the engine or other grounded object. However, there are several other CH solenoids that have a lug (Insulated stud earth) that you attach to ground via a wire. Here is one that you may consider:
http://colehersee.com.au/product/spst-12v-intermittent-duty-solenoid-marine/

I used installed this one last year on my 3YM30:
http://colehersee.com.au/product/spst-12v-200a-continuous-duty-solenoid/

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
Here's a wiring diagram for the GM series. I grafted in a starter relay with an additional starter button down in the engine compartment (to help with engine fuel bleeding and such). It also includes my additions of a lighted fuel gauge, and a Racor fuel/water sensor with relay (turns out the B panel has a unused saildrive light that says "Water" and is wired all the way to the engine. Perfect for re-purposing for a fuel/water sensor). All the relays are standard automotive relays that push into sockets. Easy to replace if one fails.

Chris

Engine, Water Sensor, Starter Relay - Wiring.png

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Thanks
No you just need to provide a ground wire to one of the bolts used to mount it. But my very serious recommendation is to hire this done ( or a good friend).