AC/DC power panels

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Interested in the pros and cons of various types of panel switches when located inside the boat cabin. Reviewing the BlueSea Systems site there are rocker, Flat Rocker, toggles, push buttons etc... All appear to be tailored to the interest of the buyer like fishing lures.

So when used on a boat have you found one better than another? And why.

Thanks for your insight.
John

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
If you have the room go big, big toggles. The biggest frame breakers they sell ( they seem to last longer) and as many extra spaces as you can think of. Led indicators are more dependable as well

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Depends on the use and the depth of your wallet.

Some switches are easily bumped and shifted to the position you don't want. Rocker switches, I think Blue Sea calls them Contura, are especially poor in places that might be accidentally hit. My club has a committee boat with a bunch of those switches right below the steering wheel. The switches get bumped and the lights and bilge pump get left on.

How easily do you want to know what position the switch is in? It is easy to see the position of toggles and circuit breakers, not so much rocker and push button.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The price and availability of the white handled circuit breakers would heavily impact my decision. Lots of vendors make compatible switches and there is a wide range of amps. I know you said panel switch and not breaker but all my breakers do double duty as switches.

Les

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
In this case breakers and switchers are the same thing function wise...
They do both, unless, of course, you're speaking of the "Main" switch.

Apr 15, 2012
Catalina 400 Milwaukee, WI
Also consider the terminal attachment points on the back. Sometimes it's a 1/4" spade, a #10 screw, a 1/4" screw, etc.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I just bought Blue Seas panels for AC and DC and I got the breakers with the rocker switches. I like that they are flat to the panel and look much sleeker than the toggles. I didn't go custom so I just ordered from the options that were available. The 16 position DC panel was just what I wanted because I didn't want the volt or amp meters that they mount on some. Besides, I thought the rockers were a better deal than the toggles. It came with 16 breakers pre wired. The 16 position panel with toggles only came with 12 breakers so I would have to buy 4 more separately. All breakers are 15 amp so if you have a need for something different that may influence what you buy
I'm really happy with the solid click when making or breaking the switch. Plus there is a very visible white band that shows when the switch is OFF so there is no mistaking the position. The AC panels I bought have very similar look. Breakers are much deeper than my old fuse panels so I am building out the cabinet accordingly I'm very satisfied with Blue Seas products.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
IMG_1127.JPG
Here are a few photos of the 16 position DC Panel (yet to be installed).
Very simple and elegant with the rockers. As you can see, it is very easy to see the difference between off and on, both with the white sidewalls and the LED indicator. Obviously, I haven't mounted the backlit labels. I'll mount the LinkPro monitor and other selected gauges independently on the front panel. There is a very solid, fixed position when the rockers are engaged. There is no mistaking the position. I guess I also just prefer the feel and look of these as opposed to the toggles.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Very handsome Scotty... But, will it give the Captain all the power he needs when the shout is "Maximum power, Scotty!"

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
All breakers are 15 amp so if you have a need for something different that may influence what you buy
Not sure I understand the value of ONLY all 15A breakers. I have a variety of sizes on my panel: 15A, 10A and 5A. What do you plan to do for those circuits that require less than 15A?

Oct 26, 2008
Not sure I understand the value of ONLY all 15A breakers. I have a variety of sizes on my panel: 15A, 10A and 5A. What do you plan to do for those circuits that require less than 15A?
That's a very good question for something I didn't think completely thru. It is going to get very expensive when I start to buy and replace individual A-series breakers down to 2.5A for the various circuits. I realize that my glass fuses on my original panel go down to 2A, I think, for some of the really low amp circuits.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Because the breaker is there to protect the WIRE and the boat, not the device. Wire normally is good for 15A. Any protection for the attached device is done via an in-line fuse, either near the device or internal to it. Like your VHF.

Oct 26, 2008
Because the breaker is there to protect the WIRE and the boat, not the device. Wire normally is good for 15A. Any protection for the attached device is done via an in-line fuse, either near the device or internal to it. Like your VHF.
Well, I know that all wiring is at least 16 awg, except that sailing instruments might be on something smaller from the panel to the instruments. I haven't gotten that far! I have a long way to go before I'm ready for the water, and it looks like the weather is going to be ready ahead of schedule!

Feb 26, 2004
Because the breaker is there to protect the WIRE and the boat, not the device. Wire normally is good for 15A.
Jack, I understand. You know that I do. Not all the wires from the panel to the devices is identical. That;s why there are different size breakers on my boat and just about every other boat I've ever seen.

Nov 8, 2010
Jack, I understand. You know that I do. Not all the wires from the panel to the devices is identical. That;s why there are different size breakers on my boat and just about every other boat I've ever seen.
Maybe your boat, but, that's really not true anymore. As part of best practice,almost all new boats come with all 15A breakers. So do all BBS panels into the consumer market. I heard someone ask a BSS rep why, and that's also what he told them.

So I'm not sure what you were questioning about 'circuits than need less than 15A'. The point is, you do not need to swap out the 15A breaker for a 5A if your VHF is rated for 5A fuse. If the device or the wire shorts, the 15A will trip for sure.

Last edited:

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hmmm, new and old boats differ. New boats may have #14 wire to all devices (and the necessary 15A CB) but older boats have varying wire sizes. Jackdaw was right that the CB protects the wire, not the device....but many boats are wired with conductors smaller than #14AWG. The CB would need to be sized to the wire size, or replace the wiring.

Cheers

Feb 26, 2004
Maybe your boat, but, that's really not true anymore.
Thanks for the input. You are blessed by being one of the few of us here who has a new boat. Mine's 30 years old, and Scott's is not new either.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'm with Stu. I have the stereo AND the VHF on the same breaker- maybe a 7 ? Not sure. But the breaker size allows that both units may be on at the same time while still of a size that appropriately protects the wire. If you're buying a breaker, why not get the lowest that would protect the expected load in addition to any smaller fuse. And how many people might be twmpted to bypass the inline fuse to restore service? Sure, the 15 protects the wire(usually), but why not have dual-duty at the same price ? In another thread I asked what the wisdom was of buying a breaker panel with all 20s installed. IIRC, id you have a 20-amp breaker, you have to support it with 20-amp wire.

Nov 8, 2010
Ron I'm not disagreeing with you. But you and Stu are ignoring (his!) original question, which I answered.

'Not sure I understand the value of ONLY all 15A breakers'

They do this because the breakers are there to protect the boat by protecting the wire that runs out of them, rated at 15A. No need to have smaller. BSS, who knows a bit about boat wiring and AYBC, does this for a good reason.

Simple and done.

If yours are smaller on a per-load basis, fine. But there is no need to have that, and certainly no need to swap them out on a panel that came full of 15A breakers because of that very reason.