5000 miles off course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I remain unconvinced. Yes their story has problems. But I can't really see that this is a stunt. Why send up flares when you know no one will see them. It doesn't collaborate their story or denigrate their story because no one could see them. The story about them being afraid of a large rescue bill makes some sense. But I will acknowledge that after a month I'd consider paying the bill.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Full disclosure. I jumped on the butterface bandwagon because I thought it was funny.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
And those water makers would have to be pretty hardy to keep two large dogs and two adults nice and hydrated.... where is all that power coming from?

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
guess they should have read lin and larry pardy's
books about sailing all over the world in an engineless boat before they started out. (and carried some line and screws to fix their drooping spreader. ) i feel sorry for the 2 dogs.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
why didn't the Taiwanese fishing boat rescue them instead of calling for the US Navy?
Because the Taiwanese boat thought they would throw the US Navy a bone. They’ve had a tough year.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
I am a bit late to the conversation but this is a pitiful example of the spirit of self reliance it takes to be a sailor.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I think their interviews hold the key: lots of storytelling around sharks and very little detail around real elements of the journey. They were either holders of their ID-10-T certificates, or they were faking.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I watched the interview:
The 24 hours of being towed? Huh?
When we heard you, “Sea Nymph! Sea Nymph!”
So the Navy was seeking them? Yet the Navy had been in contact with them in June, but why were they calling in June if not in distress?
Their skin and hair are well conditioned. Did they have enough lotion, water, shampoo, and conditioner to shower and shampoo for 5 months?
Force 11 storm for 3 days. Records contradict this claim.
“We were empowered...” is not the speech of someone who survived a catastrophic event which a “Force 11” storm would be in a small vessel.
When we arrived at Kiribati, the boat was too big to fit into their lagoon. You would only need to anchor in the lee for a few hours to fix a bolt.
Also, they admit they were not disabled.
With no nav info, they knew they were traveling backwards.
The language becomes full of metaphors when it gets to the “Tigers.” This happens nowhere else.
So they could engineer a water maker repair but not fix a spreader bolt?
We used 90% of our supplies in 6 months... but why were they 24 hours from death?
Their teeth are too clean. Did they bring 6 months of toothpaste?
Records of her building the boat should be easy to find. She is so screwed if she has no documentation of building a 50 ft sailboat.
They didn’t actually say whether they ever sailed or motored. They did say the motor “ignition” got swamped, but not the motor... seems drying out the switch might work.

I think they are BOTH idiots and fakers.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/fisherman-survives-438-days-lost-sea-article-1.2435333
http://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/news/a45615/bill-durden-stranded-at-sea/
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32182432
All of the above stories sound much more realistic than that of our two heroines from this current story.
Records of her building the boat should be easy to find. She is so screwed if she has no documentation of building a 50 ft sailboat.
I agree, considering at least one is an aspiring actress, I would expect a facebook account of her working on her boat. The registration documents might shed some light on things.
-Will (Dragonfly)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
There story seems to indicate that were able to make some sort of progress and control, even at 4-5 knots and also seemed to be near and in contact with many islands. I'm not sure that means adrift for 4-5 months, but I think the news is sensationalizing it a bit and now poking at the holes and issues.

I noted the said the boat was 'reefed' and she repaired it by herself at night to avoid the sailors 'saying you can't do that'. Eventually someone will need to dig up the marines / yards / mooring area and get some pretty interesting witnesses and follow up stories. They mention them in the longer talon from the ship to news media.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
Wow, what brand of Laundry detergent do they use? Those clothes are really clean and white after six months at sea !!!!!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Of course. It's called male privilege.
Too many women these days can even manage to hear sexism in "good morning" ("it wasn't what he said, he was the way he said it") :rolleyes:. And yes, I would have commented on their appearance if they'd been men who were clean shaven with scrubbed faces, had clean and shiny hair, and were wearing clothes that were cleaner and better pressed than a lot of what's in my own closet...which almost certainly would have produced a howl from somebody that I was "male bashing!"

Sheesh!!!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Too many women these days can even manage to hear sexism in "good morning" ("it wasn't what he said, he was the way he said it") :rolleyes:. And yes, I would have commented on their appearance if they'd been men who were clean shaven with scrubbed faces, had clean and shiny hair, and were wearing clothes that were cleaner and better pressed than a lot of what's in my own closet...which almost certainly would have produced a howl from somebody that I was "male bashing!"

Sheesh!!!
Apparently you missed the Butterface bit.

Just in case that bit of urban slang is unknown to you:
butterface (plural butterfaces) (slang, pejorative) A woman who has an attractive body but less attractive facial features. quotations ▼ The face of an unattractive person. I can't even look at her, she's got such a butterface.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
No need to go into full SJW mode. Calling it “male privilege “ is going a bit far IMHO. Nonetheless, there is so much wrong with this story the thread could go 12 pages without a single mention of their facial characteristics...

Status
Not open for further replies.