5000 miles off course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Single spreader rig, and the photo shows the rig being intact and both sails furled. Given that land was located in one general direction and they probably had a compass or could at least observe the sun position every day, it would seem like all they needed to do was... sail the boat.
Was the rudder working?
Lacking any further back story, this is all Highly Illogical, as the saying goes.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
All in all, it's a feel-good story. What I'd like to know is why would sharks attack the boat? Fishes hiding in the undergrowth?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I can't think of a reason. Relative to a book deal though, tiger sharks add pizzazz. And because of their markings, they are relatively easy to identify, thus precluding questions like "how is it that they have the knowledge to identify shark species, but not the knowledge to move the boat towards (any) land?

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Thanks for the abc news link!
(https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/two-american-sailors-rescued-after-five-months-sea-n814806)

That does shed some light on this adventure. Breaking a spreader would surly impact the ability to sail... but I have no idea why they were scared of tiger sharks, when they are on a boat...

I would think they could have fabricated something to replace that spreader, w/ climbing steps on the mast, and flat seas.. and months of time to do it... but their minds might have been screwed up, being worried about sharks and such... I can't imaging a shark breaking the hull...

this does sound like the making of a good book.. or movie...

On May 23, the women set off from Oahu bound for Tahiti, about 2,600 miles away, but problems soon arose. First, a piece of the mast called a spreader failed, Appel said, limiting the sailboat's maneuverability, and on May 30 a storm flooded the engine. Communications were also impacted.

Appel and Fuiava described a sense of despair after making daily distress calls for 98 days straight, but the calls were out of range. They spotted other ships that did not or could not respond, and fired at least 10 flares. Twice the ship was attacked by Tiger sharks, they said.

"I could see light and I could see vessels, and once you get closer, we thought it would be close enough to do a [distress] call," Fuiava told TODAY. "When they would turn and keep going, yeah, it was kind of sad."

The women were rescued along with their two dogs, Zeus and Valentine, who had been aboard with them. While the dogs provided an immense source of comfort during the ordeal, at times Appel and Fuiava feared they would tip off sharks circling around their boat.

"I went downstairs with the boys and we basically laid huddled on the floor and I told them not to bark because the sharks could hear us breathing. They could smell us," Appel said.

sharks can smell...... fear! :/
also, how much water is needed to 'flood' a diesel?

Q: would a 50' sloop have a mast with single spreaders? (which is what we see in the video), or did it have 2 (or more) and they re-rigged it for 1?

boat looks ok, for the ocean from what I can see...

Last edited:
May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/shark-att...s-share-5-101200640--abc-news-topstories.html
One night a group of seven sharks, including five adults measuring 20 to 30 feet in length along with two young sharks, slapped their tails on the hull repeatedly.

20'-30' sharks! I think there might be some exaggeration? just maybe...

on the other hand, I've dove (accidentally) with a 10' nurse shark, and it was really big... like car size.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think it goes without saying that Tiger Sharks don't get that big. 15' would be a very big one. They can be aggressive 'tough. My older brothers were once harassed by one while fishing off the keys. That story got told a lot!

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Seriously!?? They could not figure out how to SAIL EAST??? OMG. You functionally cannot miss land if you sail in any direction long enough...
How the hell did they get on a sailboat? Poor sailboat!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
All in all, it's a feel-good story. What I'd like to know is why would sharks attack the boat? Fishes hiding in the undergrowth?
YOU obviously never watch the SyFy Channel. :badbad:

It was probably a shark that took out the spreader, they are known for doing things like that. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Looks like they also had solar. I find it interesting that what looks like a bra is hanging off the blade of the wind turbine. LOL
I think you ave been at sea too long sailor

Greg

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
That's what growth looks like when you've been bobbing in the ocean for months. Similar to buoys where there's lots of wave action.
Actually, I believe that’s just oatmeal based dog crap above the waterline that wouldn’t float away. Very bizarre story!

1ED43B69-1F8C-4344-9D3E-3B19454CB359.jpeg

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I think it goes without saying that Tiger Sharks don't get that big. 15' would be a very big one.
Tigers sometimes get close to 20'. Maybe they look bigger when they are circling the boat? Other types of sharks actually do get bigger. Something tells me that these two girls probably were not ichthyologists.

Status
Not open for further replies.