40.5 Questions

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
That can seem like a very long night or two when the holding tank is full.

Most of the Caribbean where is sails have no limits on head discharges whic may be counter to our sensibilities. Macerators are infamous for breaking. The last thing you want to do is have to use someone else's head on another boat (which direct discharges) because yours doesn't and your tank is full because of a broken mascerator.
As the saying goes -ask me how I know.
I've had this happen once before, but we have two heads, two holding tanks, and two macerators so no embarrassing need to visit the neighbours. Having a single black water tank certainly changes the redundancy factor.

I had no idea that the 40.5's two heads share a common holding tank. That's got to be a long run to the tank for one of the heads. I can see it would make sense to make the one furthest from the tank direct discharge through a Y valve, otherwise I'd consider an electrosan since both heads use the same tank.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I've had this happen once before, but we have two heads, two holding tanks, and two macerators so no embarrassing need to visit the neighbours. Having a single black water tank certainly changes the redundancy factor.

I had no idea that the 40.5's two heads share a common holding tank. That's got to be a long run to the tank for one of the heads. I can see it would make sense to make the one furthest from the tank direct discharge through a Y valve, otherwise I'd consider an electrosan since both heads use the same tank.
The 40.5 head setup was not ideal.
Firstly, they used an aluminum holding tank, which must be replaced with plastic. Many posts on this forum about this.
Next, the hose run from the fwd head to the tank is about 25 ft long. You use up a lot of tank volume just trying to clear it out.
I don't recall a Y valve on the aft head, but it would be useful where allowed. The mascerator location on the 40.5 is not easily accessible.
Lastly, the jabsco mascerstors (until recently) used brass screws which rotted out, and the pumps leaked. If you see brass screws, replace the pump before you need to.

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Hunter Legend 40.5 Victoria
Hi again,
Providing nothing major is found during the survey we’ll own 1995 40.5 in couple of months.
I have a few additional questions:
What is the experience with freezer during hot summer days or in tropics (does the stuff stays frozen solid)?
She has a Volvo Penta MD-22L engine ( I am told it replaced the original engine under warranty), what is the real frequency of timing belt change (I know the manual says 3 years)? What about the mixing exhaust elbow in salt water use?
She has z-spar in mast furling and one electric winch, mainsail nearly new. Any pointers?
Many thanks

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Here are some photos of the direct discharge Y valve installation for our aft head:
The first photo shows how the head discharge was routed under the sink and then, when on the holding tank, back to the tank. The discharge and holding tank hoses are stacked on one another. The second photo shows the overboard through hull valve, the one with the red handle. Note that the handles of the others have been bent to clear. The third photo shows the direct-discharge anti-siphon valve to the right of the sink basin. The fourth photo shows the Y valve located under the shelf.

IMG_20180928_205706384.jpg IMG_20180928_205758568.jpg IMG_20180928_205824752.jpg IMG_20180928_205905245.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
<snip>

What is the experience with freezer during hot summer days or in tropics (does the stuff stays frozen solid)?
We run our freezer at about +15 F. Any colder than that uses huge amounts of AH per day.

She has a Volvo Penta MD-22L engine ( I am told it replaced the original engine under warranty), what is the real frequency of timing belt change (I know the manual says 3 years)? What about the mixing exhaust elbow in salt water use?
I have a 1997 h40.5 that had the Volvo as the original engine. I was told that Hunter switched to Volvo for a few years to pressure Yanmar to meet their price point. I don't know exactly when they started, but my 1997 was one of the very last to exit the factory. Regarding the timing belt, I replaced mine after 14 years and 1800 hours.
BTW, I have digital copies of the Volvo service manuals and a picture description of the timing belt change. Also a list of the special tools that are required. PM me if you need them. I pulled the exhaust elbow after 4 years and 650 hours and found it spotless. I haven't checked it since then.

She has z-spar in mast furling and one electric winch, mainsail nearly new. Any pointers?
I had the standard mast.
Many thanks

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Hi there, yet another question. Just went through the survey, coincidentally we found a leak, water dripping from the light just above the center of the table (it was raining heavily on and off last few days). Probably water got there through the seal of the large slanted window. No sign of any leak on the inside of the 2 window halfs. Just wondering if anyone had experienced similar and how was it fixed. Removing the complete extra large outside lexan window looks pretty daunting. Thanks for some feedback.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Make it part of the deal you will have the window replaced prfessionally, with the cost comng off the purchase price.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Although the large window could be the source, based upon my experience the corner screws that secure the sea hood over the organizer are prime suspects. The next most likely source is the mast wires where they exit into the cabin or the four mast step plate bolts.

fero

Jan 15, 2010
We own her now, after 10 days on hard finally in the water, Woburn bay Grenada.
I am sure I’ll have number of questions as we get familiar with details/ puzzles.
Here is one. In the aft head the flushing water from pump goes into the wall and back before connecting to the bowl. The area behind does not seem to be accessible. Any idea why..

Attachments

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
<snip>
In the aft head the flushing water from pump goes into the wall and back before connecting to the bowl. The area behind does not seem to be accessible. Any idea why..
Although I have never seen it, I believe that there is a vented loop at the top of the hoses behind the wall panel. Bad place to put it for a maintenance aspect IMHO. If you could figure out exactly where it is behind the panel, you could cut an access hole inside of the compartment and close it with a round screw or snap plate. That way you could be sure that the vent does not become plugged, yet not have to look at it all the time.

Jan 22, 2008
I doubt you will have to remove it, but if you do, you caN PROBABLY PULL ONE SIDE WHILE PUSHING THE OTHER SIDE.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Practically all boats have a Y valves and large dia thruhulls for direct discharge
Hi Frank, different model boat here, but I suspect our 1991 model year has a similar setup. Dual electric heads that send everything to the holding tank. No wye valve, but there is a wye fitting that allows either a pump out through a deck fitting or overboard through a macerator pump. Really like the setup especially where so much of our PNW cruising waters have no pump out stations.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
We own her now, after 10 days on hard finally in the water, Woburn bay Grenada.
I am sure I’ll have number of questions as we get familiar with details/ puzzles.
Here is one. In the aft head the flushing water from pump goes into the wall and back before connecting to the bowl. The area behind does not seem to be accessible. Any idea why..
In the forward corner of the starboard liner, you will see a curved piece above the cabinet. Take the trim buttons off the screw heads, and you will be able to remove that piece to access the anti-siphon valve. After that (minimal) effort, remove the valve from the top, clean it up in vinegar, and reassemble. In the forward head, that access is on the port side of the head wall INSIDE the V-berth area. Good luck.

Jan 22, 2008
If he can feel the two hoses are one piece, there is not necessarily a siphon valve as long as the loop goes high enough, but Rick says yes.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I think you need a siphon (break) device regardless of how high the hose run goes.

fero

Jan 15, 2010
For me the siphon break is needed if it is a hose going exterior bellow water line e.g. head output going out or engine sea water in. This is a hose from pump ( not black ) flushing the bowl, difficult to imagine how it would siphon. Any other head I have seen does not have siphon break on this line, but I guess there are many ways...
Rick, no access panel in the head. Actually I don’t have a problem I was just puzzled.
Regards Frank

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
It can right through the toilet? You should have vacuum breaker.

P.S. if it pressurized the waste tank, even if you don’t sink, you may wish you did. ;^))).

Seriously, for $20 of plastic and hose clamps and 4 screws.....

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Frank, there is a case where IF the head pump valve leaks, the water in the hose from the head pump to the toilet bowl will run into the bowl until it reaches the water level outside the hull.. A loop will keep that from happening when the boat is at rest or slightly heeled.. a vent in the loop is necessary if the boat is heeled over to the point that the top of the loop is below the (heeled) waterline.. The head installation instructions will show a vented loop between the toilet pump and the bowl ..
see page 3 ; https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_gen_27722060.pdf

Last edited: