40.5 Questions

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Hunter Legend 40.5 Victoria
Hi,
After loosing our Bav 41 to Irma last year we are in the process of looking for the replacement. We live aboard for 6 winter months in Caribbean and store her there on hard for rest of the year. The H40.5 looks as good probale candidate, visted couple and have some questions. Of course read many excellent posts on this forum (not all, search produced some 1,400).
Considering use in Caribbean only the grey deck color gets just too hot for bare feet. Did anybody repainted with white or very light color? What would be a good compatible paint to paint over?
Second item not practical for Caribbean is the head system, everything going through the holding tank and macerator; no pump outs around there. Practically all boats have a Y valves and large dia thruhulls for direct discharge. Anyone modified the system accordingly?
Many thanks for a feedback.
Frank

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
You can, with a simple Bosworth (or other quality) diverter valve and Whale Pump pump the holding tank when you're not in the harbo(u)rs.

When you're in nice, clear water, where people are snorkeling, do you really want to flush directly into it? ;^)))

Cosi Fan Tutti.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Loosely translated: "They all do it". (Opera by Mozart).
I was born in Italy, and I don't speak Italian. :^)))

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I have a Hunter 40.5 with the discharge to the tank and a new Raritan electic fresh water toilet. I'm not sure what the problem is with discharging to the tank and then using the mascerator/pump to pump overboard? I can see if it only has a pump out at the dock fitting and no overboard discharge through the mascerator. Can't you just flush to the tank and then use the pump/mascerator to discharge overboard if you need to or wait unitl you're out of the harbor? Just asking.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Re: deck paint color - we repainted our old 40.5 non-skid a light tan color and it made a big difference both in terms a cooler deck as well as interior the temperature, even though we had a flag (dark) green topsides. Forgot whether it was Awlgrip or Awlcraft which seem interchangeable in this application.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
I have a Hunter 40.5 with the discharge to the tank and a new Raritan electic fresh water toilet. I'm not sure what the problem is with discharging to the tank and then using the mascerator/pump to pump overboard? I can see if it only has a pump out at the dock fitting and no overboard discharge through the mascerator. Can't you just flush to the tank and then use the pump/mascerator to discharge overboard if you need to or wait unitl you're out of the harbor? Just asking.
1+, the only place for a y-valve as a necessity would be on long passages, where there was a concern with the macerator breaking down and needing replacement. For short hopping and never being more than a night or two from a port the tank/macerator system works great.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
never being more than a night or two from a port the tank/macerator system works great.
That can seem like a very long night or two when the holding tank is full.

Most of the Caribbean where is sails have no limits on head discharges whic may be counter to our sensibilities. Macerators are infamous for breaking. The last thing you want to do is have to use someone else's head on another boat (which direct discharges) because yours doesn't and your tank is full because of a broken mascerator.
As the saying goes -ask me how I know.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Don, I see you point now and the failure of the mascaerator would cause a problem. I guess if I were in that situation I'd probably install the Y valve as an additional option but still keep the mascerator/pump capability so I discharge to the tank when in pristine clar waters nearby other boaters or swimers (not to mention me going in the water). That would seem to be the best of both worlds. Discharge directly overboard when its appropriate, discharge to the tank and pump overboard later when its not appropriate to discharge where you are.

I guess the key is to don't let your tank get full and carry a spare mascerator pump. Pump out small amounts as you use the head and then the tank only becomes a buffer to keep from discharging next to a swimmer OR your wife :oops: who just jumed in to cool off.

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Hunter Legend 40.5 Victoria
Don has it right. If you need it, it will break and most likely at the worst time. Practically zero pump out stations in Caribbean, manual pump out really no fun. Guess how I know....

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Doesn't the 40.5 have two heads, two holding tanks, two mascerator pumps, and two discharges?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I have a 1994 Hunter 40.5. I have 2 heads but only 1 holding tank/mascerator pump/and discharge. The holding tank is just forward of the aft head and the forward head pumps to the same holding tank. Its a long run from the front head and you need to make sure you pump enough to clear the hose. We don't use the forward head much and reserve that for company and as an emergency.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
That is a long, flat run! Don't let the line get plugged and "dried-in-place" ;^))))

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
That is a long, flat run! Don't let the line get plugged and "dried-in-place" ;^))))
Exactly, that is why we don't use it much because it takes so much pumping to make sure you clear the hose. I'd actually say we don't use it all all and that would be more accurate. It gets used for overnight guests and I make sure before we leave the boat it is thoroughly flushed.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Did you do okay down there with "Florence's visit", Smokey73?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
We were fine. For awhile the European Model was forcasting Florence to go back offshore and then go back in near us or in Savannah but that got revised later. We had about 20kt winds with some gusts to 30kts. Not even much rain here.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Our 40.5 has the diverter valve and anti siphon loop under the aft head sink. It was dealer installed. Works well but crowded. PM me if you get one and want photos. No valve in the forward head.