37C keel attachment ?

Mar 29, 2021
Bristol B38.8 3 Fairhaven
Hi, I just bought an 37c and wanted to find out what I need to do with a void between the hull and keel. Pics attached
PXL_20210330_201036133.jpg
PXL_20210330_201025298.jpg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

This issue has come up an frequently and there are threads and articles like the ones below. You can do a search "keel separation repair" on this site and the internet to read them and the repair strategy. Discuss the repair fix. i.e., inspect the keel bots for adquacy and replace if required, rebed the keel and tighten the keel bots to the correct torque, with a qualified boatg contractor or boatyard. Good luck and let us know how the repair worked out.

Keel Separation | Sailboat Owners Forums
Hull/Keel repair | Sailboat Owners Forums
Keel Boat Repair and Inspection - Fiberglass Boat Keel Repair (keelboltrepair.com)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
the proper "FIX" is to remove the keel, repair all that has deteriorated, fiberglass, keel bolts, keel nuts. rebed keel to hull and tighten nuts to specs.

OR ........................... do what the last guy did and smear in some putty type stuff and go sailing.

39 year old boat ...........
what did the surveyor say?

Mar 29, 2021
Welcome to forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

This issue has come up an frequently and there are threads and articles like the ones below. You can do a search "keel separation repair" on this site and the internet to read them and the repair strategy. Discuss the repair fix. i.e., inspect the keel bots for adquacy and replace if required, rebed the keel and tighten the keel bots to the correct torque, with a qualified boatg contractor or boatyard. Good luck and let us know how the repair worked out.

Keel Separation | Sailboat Owners Forums
Hull/Keel repair | Sailboat Owners Forums
Keel Boat Repair and Inspection - Fiberglass Boat Keel Repair (keelboltrepair.com)
Thanks for the links

Mar 29, 2021
the proper "FIX" is to remove the keel, repair all that has deteriorated, fiberglass, keel bolts, keel nuts. rebed keel to hull and tighten nuts to specs.

OR ........................... do what the last guy did and smear in some putty type stuff and go sailing.

39 year old boat ...........
what did the surveyor say?
It is an old boat.. Think I'll make sure it's secure with no leaks and go sailing. Bought the boat from a buddy and I didn't get a survey other than for insurance purposes.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Even if you don’t have the rig to torque the keel bolts I would at least get a wrench on each nut and make sure it is not totally loose before going back in the water

Mar 29, 2021
Even if you don’t have the rig to torque the keel bolts I would at least get a wrench on each nut and make sure it is not totally loose before going back in the water
That is the plan for sure.. I don't want any drama.

Mar 29, 2021
I'm noticing a few more things about this keel that makes nervous.. What is the construction of this keel in the 37c. Does anyone have a cross section drawing?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It makes sense that the keel/hull stub joint opened on the ends. The boat flexes and the keel doesn't. But the real question is about the condition of the keel bolts - for any 37 year old boat whatever the keel material. At some point that keel has to come off (Actually the boat comes off the keel), the bolts assessed and the keel re-mounted as per Jon's post. Why not now? When it's windy you want to have confidence in the keel and the rig.