Hull/Keel repair

Jan 30, 2021
Hunter 25.5 H25.5 Lake Winnipeg
I m looking at buying a 1973 Northern 24. The condition is average for its age but it has one major issue with the Hull/Keel (pic attached).
Is this repairable and what materials would be recommended. The crack is only on the port side from the rear of the keel halfway to the front.

Thanks
Craig

Attachments

Jun 5, 2013
Hunter 23 St petersburg
I am not familiar with this particular brand or model but from the single picture povided it looks like that separation was poorly addressed in the past and it is now coming back. The simple answer to your question is how much time, effort, money (TEM) are you willing to put into it.
Things to look for are the condition of the keel bolts and their base.
You can bring the keel down, fully repair/service it. And seal the bond back to the hull but TEM will need to be factored in your decision. Concerns that come to mi d is how long ago and for how long was that original crack open? In salt water? Was the repair done correctly or was it just a patch job?
In that size boat it seems there would be plenty of options in the market.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ouch!!.............recommend contacting a competent boatyard or boat reapir contractor about the cost and approach to make this repair and checking the keel boats as Reefing proposed AND obtain a "repair allowance" from the SELLER OR require the SELLERto have it reapired by a competent boatyard or contractor prior to sale.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Since the OP cant assess this situation himself, I recommend paying a surveyor to do so, then you can understand what your repairs may involve. That said, my bet would be its a cosmetic repair... but you'll need to spend a few hundred to eliminate the blind guessing.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The extent of the damage cannot be determined without proper inspection by a qualified technician. If the seam/joint between keel and hull is compromised it will allow water intrusion into the hull. It could also find its way into the boat. So you really need to know what lays beneath. If the glass repair has simply failed with no damage to the seam, you could get off lucky. But there's no way anyone on this forum can tell by just looking at one picture.
The Northern 1/4 ton and it's twin the Mirage 24 are excellent C&C designs.... if the damage repair estimate is reasonable....say under $1,000.... and the seller will make the adjustment.... I'd say, go for it. it's a slick boat.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Just to point out that at anytime probably half the C&C designs of this age will display a crack at the leading edge of the keel/ stub joint, a condition subject to annual cleanup.

This picture does not look like the traditional separation as I don't think you can see the joint, it looks like a PO may have glassed over it, and the glass has been damaged. More pics would help the guessing, but a surveyor is the solution

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
An inspection by a qualified repairman is highly recommended. A major concern is condition of keel bolts and secondly composition of hull and keel, any wood or balsa in them? I would recommend walking away based on experience as a dealer now retired

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
A free or cheap boat is often one of the most expensive boats
The reason boats have a reputation for being costly is because people get 'great deals' on boats with problems. Boat problems are like roaches, if you see 2 or 3, there are actually 20 or 30.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
An inspection by a qualified repairman is highly recommended. A major concern is condition of keel bolts and secondly composition of hull and keel, any wood or balsa in them? I would recommend walking away based on experience as a dealer now retired
Unless the construction of this vessel is remarkably different from C&Cs of the same generation, the keel connects to a very robust solid fiberglass stub. My experience with a '76 C&C, with the swept back fin configuration, was that the keel/hull was remarkably resilent to hull-speed rock impacts. Obviously the keels bolts themselves age like all others, but I would be surprised if the issue of this boat could relate to the health of the keel stub.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Sailfanatic

Comments are based on 50 years working on sailboats first as an owner and later as a major sailboat dealer for over 30 plus years. I had a very close relationship with the owners of Catalina and hunter too and you have no idea as to the contributions I made to the industry