34/35 Prop Shaft Strut?

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
Has anyone with an O'day 34/35 ever replaced their propeller shaft strut? If so; where did you get it, and what details about the strut can you share?

I recently had a "professional" bottom job, and the yard manager mentioned that the strut on my boat looked "pink" to him.
Strut Dims.JPG

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
"Pink"? Is this a term used when the metal used to make the strut is failing and due to the elements it's in, is changing the molecular structure? I'm seriously interested, ergo this question.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin with some other elements added in depending on the properties desired. One of these elements is zinc. If through electrolysis the zinc is removed from bronze it takes on a pinkish color. This can happen to props, struts, through hulls, etc. If the zinc on your shaft is depleted or missing (or has a bad electrical connection to the shaft) that protects your other metals from electrolysis by "sacrificing" itself the zinc in the bronze becomes the next most noble metal to be sacrificed in the process.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Mine started to get a little "pinkish" after a few years. I drilled a hole through the strut and looked at the drill shavings. I was satisfied they still had the bronze color in the interior of the casting. I installed a flat pancake zinc on the strut and the pink color never got any worse. I finally replaced my strut after 34 years when the Cutless bearing spun internally and enlarged the bore. Here is a photo of the new one from last September. The zinc usually lasts for 2 years.

IMG_20190925_112529065.jpg

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I called Rudy last week. He told me that he still needs to follow up with the foundry where the new strut is being cast. It's a good thing that I am not in a hurry.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
Called Rudy again this morning. He says that "it should be ready this week."

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
Rudy called me this morning. The new strut is being machined (presumably the bore for the cutlass bearing) right now, and should be ready this week!

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I picked up the new strut TODAY!!!
I would post more pictures (profiles) with the framing square in the background, but "the files are too large for the server to process."

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
Specs in inches:
Parallel Font Auto part Diagram Drawing

A: 1.375
B: 25º
C: 7.5
D: 9
E: 3.5
F: 8.5 - note that this is beveled by 0.5" on either end. The lower foot (8.5) is wider than the top (7.5). The palm looks like this \____/
G: 3.875
H: 1.5

I will state again that I am only trying to assist anyone following in my wake.

DISCLAIMER: ALL of these specs were measured by me, with uncalibrated tools and my old-out-of-spec eyes, from the new strut that I have received. Also, I may have made errors. There is the possibility that the strut that I received may not be the correct design. Your mileage may vary.. so use these specs for YOUR boat at YOUR peril.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I did not see on the drawings the alignment holes for the bolts to install the strut on your boat. Do you have to drill the new strut bolt holes?