272LE Engine Replacement

Aug 17, 2017
Catalina Catalina 30 MKII 5346 Melbourne Yacht Club
I'm advised by my mechanic that the Universal M12 inboard diesel in my boat has seen way better days and that it's time for a replacement. It is currently inoperable. Can anyone recommend a replacement make & model? Can anyone comment on the value of removing the existing engine and rebuilding it?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
As far as rebuilding it’s just tractor parts that would need refreshing, unless your block Or injector pump is toast fairly inexpensive parts wise (guess under $2k with rebuilt head).

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
It's a pretty easy re-build. Down loaded the manual, bought parts from Kubota. Sent the head out to "Heads are Us". Total cost about $500.00 Cdn. and a few hours of my time. (my first rebuild and it's still running, about 1000hrs. now)

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
Another question. The Universal Diesel is the OEM engine, and if this is the first rebuild, that means 20, 25, years of service. That might be the textbook definition of reliable. What would be the better "option" for the day you sell the boat to move upto a ODay 30/31 or 34/35? A 272 with a rebuilt OEM engine, or the Beta engine. I've heard good things about the Beta, but it is a "change". I like Corvettes, but hate customized Corvette, and seldom, if ever, are they worth more money. Wouldn't the same thinking apply to the 272?

Jan 5, 2017
I don't know what the used boat market is like in your area but I know that you never get back what you put in if you have to pay someone else to do the work. If you can rebuild the engine yourself you should do it otherwise I think you'll get a dime back for every dollar you spend. Depends on how much you like your boat!

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
If you can find a used Z400 tractor engine it's a simple job to transfer all the "Marine" parts from the old to the new. That's the bell housing and gear, the water cooled exhaust manifold and HX, and the raw water pump. Paint the new one Universal Bronze and no one will ever know it's not original. I'm now doing that with an M25. Used engine off eBay for $1200 and done deal.

Jan 5, 2017
Even easier! The M-12 and the 5411 are based on the Z-500 Kubota

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
sell the boat to someone who can rebuild the engine or hang an outboard off the back.

Aug 17, 2017
Catalina Catalina 30 MKII 5346 Melbourne Yacht Club
For a thirty-year-old boat, it's in pretty good shape excluding the engine. Hull is solid and free of bubbles, stress cracks are minimal and small, standing rigging looks clean. The outboard solution had been suggested, but somehow doesn't feel right when I consider why I selected a 272LE in the first place. A well-regarded mechanic nearby has offered to go through the engine with me in his shop and determine if it can be fixed. (He thinks it can.) If so, he'll guide me through the repairs. If not, I'll be looking for a replacement inboard, preferably new.

Jan 5, 2017
The nice thing about rebuilding it yourself is that you end up having so much knowledge about your engine. You never worry again when you're "out there".

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Our O'day 272 LE was delivered to Wichita from the factory in Ma. and still has the original 10 hp.engine manufactured in Massachusetts by Westerbeke a.10 hp...We purchased the boat in 1986 or 85 directly from the O'day dealer in Wichita.....aside from changing the oil, the engine has required no repairs......I did have an issue with the gages in the stern of the cockpit but it was easy to fix and the Westerbeke folks were very willing to help with any questions or concerns.....Good luck to you.......Patrick in Wichita..