1976 Santana 21ft

Feb 15, 2021
Santana 21 indiana
I am very new to sailing. My wife and I bought this boat used last year. It is a 1976 Santana 21ft sailboat. We took it out a couple of time and struggled a little. But the kids loved it. No problems we are signing up to take our ASA101 class this spring. We are wanting to do some updates to the boat. Update the interior and the paint. I also want new electronics. Also do a little work on the trailer.

So last weekend got the boat lifted off the trailer in my garage. I got the keel off as it is rusty and I want to check the cables. My question is the swing part is connected to the base by what looks like a pressed in pin. It does not appear to be a bolt. I am afraid to press it out or drill it out because I don’t think I could get another one to replace it. Has anyone else ran into this?

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The Rhodes 22 has a similar set up. Take another bolt and gently tap it out. After you clean it and maybe buff it... and put a little lube on it... the pin will slide back in. Regarding electronics.... most of what you need is now available as apps for a smart phone. Unless you plan to go more than 5 miles off shore, it will serve you well. Invest your money in a new main sail.... nothing else you do will have as big of an impact on your enjoyment of the boat.

Feb 15, 2021
Santana 21 indiana
The Rhodes 22 has a similar set up. Take another bolt and gently tap it out. After you clean it and maybe buff it... and put a little lube on it... the pin will slide back in. Regarding electronics.... most of what you need is now available as apps for a smart phone. Unless you plan to go more than 5 miles off shore, it will serve you well. Invest your money in a new main sail.... nothing else you do will have as big of an impact on your enjoyment of the boat.
What keeps it in there. If I knock it out and then put it back, what keeps the bolt from sliding out?

as far as electronics I would like a stereo and vhf radio.We live within a couple hours of Lake Michigan and after our class and some time behind the rudder, I would like to take it there. Depth finder would be nice also.

Jan 19, 2010
On the Rhodes there is a small ss plate that fits over the end. But if I’m not wrong won’t your pin be inside the keel trunk once you push it all back up in there? If that is correct the sides of the keel trunk hold the pin in place.

Jul 23, 2019
Hunter 18.5 Revelstoke
If your going to “tap it out” I’d be looking for an aluminum or brass drift rather than anything steel, I’d rather the drift deformed and not the pin.

Feb 15, 2021
Santana 21 indiana
If your going to “tap it out” I’d be looking for an aluminum or brass drift rather than anything steel, I’d rather the drift deformed and not the pin.
I don't think "tapping it out" is an option. It doesn't move at all. Does not budge. The keel swings freely on it, but that pin doesn't budge in the base. It doesn't appear to be welded in. I would like to get it apart so I can clean and paint this.

Jan 19, 2010
It might be glued in with 5200... maybe try heating it????

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
It's time for getting serious with the pin. Grind around the head of the pin both sides to clear surface corrosion. Heat the area both sides but not the pin, let cool for a few minutes, then put your favorite concoction of penetrating oil (google all the different things that people have come up with) on it for a day or so. Warm the the assembly around the pin then dry ice the pin. If it doesn't tap out it's stuck and needs to be drilled.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
It's time for getting serious with the pin. Grind around the head of the pin both sides to clear surface corrosion. Heat the area both sides but not the pin, let cool for a few minutes, then put your favorite concoction of penetrating oil (google all the different things that people have come up with) on it for a day or so. Warm the the assembly around the pin then dry ice the pin. If it doesn't tap out it's stuck and needs to be drilled.
I concur. Clean it up, put some heat and oil to it and see if it moves. Measure and see if one end us bigger than the other. It may only go through in one direction.

Feb 15, 2021
Santana 21 indiana
That is this weekend's job. I will grind more around the pin and see if that helps. There is always a bigger persuader available. I think after I clean it up, fair it, primer it, and paint it, installing the base first will really help in putting the keel back on. If anything else it will help get rid of some of the weight.

Feb 15, 2021
Santana 21 indiana
On a side note. I rebuilt the table in the galley. It wasn't much, but it was falling apart. I got the first couple coats of stain on it. I still have to put the clear on. Here are some before and after pics. I would like to change all the interior wood to the lighter slate color. I think the getting rid of the dark colors and putting the lighter colors in there will help brighten it up.

Old.jpgOld2.jpgStained.jpgStained2.jpg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The Santana 21’s unique keel is both fixed and retractable. The fixed portion is 12 inches deep and is securely attached to a reinforced section of the hull with six galvanized steel keel bolts. Housed within the forward section is a cast iron hinge which weights approximately 100 pounds and is 19″ x 12″. This sturdy hinge gives the swing keel superior lateral support and protects it during beaching maneuvers. The hinge also allows for the mounting of the pivot bolt in cast iron rather than in fiberglass. Wearing and eventual leakage around the pivot bolt is therefore impossible.
The swing keel itself is constructed entirely of cast iron and combines with the hinge to make a total keel weight of 550 pounds. It is easily raised and lowered by a special winch which is safe and simple to operate. The keel cable is, by the way, completely concealed within the fixed keel where it cannot cause harmonic vibration or act as a kelp and garbage collector.
The Santana 21 was designed to go places… so it is easy to trailer and to launch and recover. With the swing keel in the “up” position, the keel extends only 12 inches below the bottom of the boat; so with the detachable rudder off, the Santana 21 is free to slide into the water without a snag.
Rigging the Santana 21 mast is a quick and easy operation because of the specially designed mast hinge. Simply place the mast into the hinge, walk the mast up, and secure the forestay.
While on the road going to your favorite sailing spot, you will find the Santana 21 a convenient camper. Instead of using a motel, you can just pull off the road, climb aboard, and enjoy the same cruising accommodations as you would afloat.
Incredibly Complete Interior
The attractive interior of the Santana 21 has more than enough room for the average cruising family. It sleeps four on full-sized berths below and has room for two more in the spacious cockpit.
The head compartment is located in an isolated spot just forward of the main bulkhead. The head area has plenty of elbow and leg room and enough space for a self-contained toilet.
A Design That Will Perform
This swing keel design was a natural for the W.D. Schock Corporation because the firm has had more that twenty years experience in making the world’s most competitive centerboarders and the finest racing/cruising keel boats. The Santana 21’s long waterline, high aspect ratio keel and outboard rudder combine to make her sensitive and responsive in either light or heavy air.
Enough Cockpit For The Entire Family
The spacious cockpit is self-bailing and features fully non-skid seats and cockpit sole. With a large crew aboard, the seats convert easily in to another two berths for sleeping under the stars.
Efficient Sail Plan
The high aspect ratio 7/8 rig offer excellent performance over a wide range of sailing conditions. The small main and large headsail combination is designed to give exceptional light air performance while making the Santana 21 a stable, easy-to-handle boat in heavy weather.​
Here is a pdf with documentation for tuning the rig, working on the keel and keel mechanism . Plus various other topics written up by prior owners.
full manual in pdf format for santana 21
On the sub pages to this page are also some write ups of some projects I have done.
Recent Comments
Calendar of Posts
March 1925
MTWTFSS
Jun »
Admin
Copyright © 1925 Scott’s Weblogs - All Rights Reserved