17' Lofland Picnic Sailboat

JayD

Jun 2, 2016
Lofland 17 Picnic Lake Lanier
I wanted to start this because when I was looking at buying a 1969 Lofland Picnic I could not find much information on it. The boat needed a lot of work when I did buy it. Anybody with knowledge of this particular boat please post the information on the thread. It will make it easer for the next guy.
The picture attached is the tiller that I had to rebuild. Don't know if is to factory specs, but it works good.

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Innovative design back in the 60s. Fixed keel center board combo with a planning hull shaped to sail efficiently when heeled. The transom does not look strong enough to hold the weight of a 40 HP old time outboard but I guess is well reinforced. It would be worth it to get it fully restored and strap an old Seagull auxiliary on it.

Feb 20, 2020
Lofland Picnic 17' Lake Lanier, GA
View attachment 124234Shown as a 1969 model for sale at Lake Lanier GA for $950.
Not to revive a dead thread, but I believe I am the new owner of 'Nyssa' as of 02/19/2020.
I purchased it for $400. The color, windows, and trailer in this photo, look identical to the "ship" I just bought. Even the year is correct.
She has a bent up mast, but, otherwise, she is in great shape.
The mast appears to have the same crosscut dimensions as a Hobiecat 16'. I'm currently trying to source one; but need to get the exact measurements first. Due to weather and work, it's going to be a week before I can get to the drydock and take exacting measurements.
But if my suspicion is correct, finding a mast will be easy.

I'm,also, going to be refurbishing the cabin, to give her some modern amenities and technology.
Plus the stove, head, and berth cushions are gone. The cabin is, basically, gutted. However, all the bulkheads and wood structures are still intact and in good, solid, shape. (They sure don't build them this stout these days) This is an impressively built "pocket yacht".

The only complaint I have, regarding it's construction, is that the rear deck relies on the styrofoam flotation for structural support. I'll be building up a solid framework to support the deck. (with locking storage cabinets) I do like the fact that the deck can be reconfigured as seats, or a flat "picnic" floor, with the simple removal of the center floorboard. So I will, definitely, keep that feature intact; in my redesign.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020
Not to revive a dead thread, but I believe I am the new owner of 'Nyssa' as of 02/19/2020.
I purchased it for $400. The color, windows, and trailer in this photo, look identical to the "ship" I just bought. Even the year is correct...
Update: I was able to confirm that my boat is in fact Nyssa.
While prepping for new paint, I found the outline of leftover glue that spelled out the name, and quite clearly.
Pretty cool that I have one of the very few used as examples, across the internet.
After the restoration is completed, she will be getting renamed to "Miss Guided"

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Neat, have fun! Seems like a nice little lake sailor, a set of sails, boom vang, and a nice new Tohatsu 2.5 hp and she would be a solid fun boat.

Feb 20, 2020
Neat, have fun! Seems like a nice little lake sailor, a set of sails, boom vang, and a nice new Tohatsu 2.5 hp and she would be a solid fun boat.
Already have the vang set. I just didn;t set it up, in these photos. Was just playing with the rigging, etc. The main sail is definitely stretched., and worn. The Jib, looks to be basically brand new, and hardly used. it's in great shape. I am missing the spinnaker, but I'm not to concerned with getting a spinnaker. Those are good for consistent winds, and where I sail, there isn't much of that. (mtn lake and all)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
@ScrapMtl cool deal, a nice new loose foot main can't be too much, try Precision Sails, I've had good products for my lake sailing needs, we are adding a code 0 this year for our low wind days and drift fest race days.

Mar 4, 2020
Catalina C 30 4292 Vancouver
@ScrapMtl Hey Awesome looking boat! I'm stoked you just pick this up because I also have a Lofland Picnic that I picked up last summer. I'll defiantly be following along to see how the restore goes! The boats in great condition! If you ever need measurements or to see what my set up is feel free to reach out. I do however have a couple questions for you.

My mast step pin has vanished. I planned to get a bolt and put it through with two nuts on the end, but I'm curious to know if yours has a hitch pin setup or if its similar to what I'm thinking

Also, I'm wondering how your drop down keel is configured. Mines a stainless steel sheet, but the rope that pulls it up is a pretty wimpy polyester string that pulls of the very bottom of the keel up and comes out the floor right where the cabin door is and there is no rope cleat or clutch to hold it up, we've just had the keel down when we just use motor on it.
Lofland Picnic 17'.png

Feb 20, 2020
@ScrapMtl Hey Awesome looking boat! I'm stoked you just pick this up because I also have a Lofland Picnic that I picked up last summer. I'll defiantly be following along to see how the restore goes! The boats in great condition! If you ever need measurements or to see what my set up is feel free to reach out. I do however have a couple questions for you.

My mast step pin has vanished. I planned to get a bolt and put it through with two nuts on the end, but I'm curious to know if yours has a hitch pin setup or if its similar to what I'm thinking

Also, I'm wondering how your drop down keel is configured. Mines a stainless steel sheet, but the rope that pulls it up is a pretty wimpy polyester string that pulls of the very bottom of the keel up and comes out the floor right where the cabin door is and there is no rope cleat or clutch to hold it up, we've just had the keel down when we just use motor on it.
My maststep has two pins, Mine were missing, but the guy I purchased it from, located them.
I too was going to utilise straight hardend bolts, but since he found them, I have no worries there.
My keel, is actually steel plate, and quite rusted. I need to remove it, and clean it up, and seal it.
Mine is actuated by a stainless steel cable, and it too comes through the back deck, right near the cabin entrance.
There's a cleat that locks it in the up position.

Can't think of any measurements I need, but if you have any photos of your rigging, that would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 4, 2020
My keel, is actually steel plate, and quite rusted. I need to remove it, and clean it up, and seal it.
Mine is actuated by a stainless steel cable, and it too comes through the back deck, right near the cabin entrance.
There's a cleat that locks it in the up position.

Can't think of any measurements I need, but if you have any photos of your rigging, that would be greatly appreciated.
I'd love to see what the cleat looks like for the keel and what you have there. If you do pull the keel off pictures would be really awesome, I dove under the boat, in a lake, with a mask on to check mine out, as its quite hard to see where the rope goes when its on the trailer, but also pretty hard to see when you're under water too. Also do you know of anything that holds the keel down while the boats moving? Just the weight?

I just put the mast up two days ago, but my phone was dead so I couldn't get any photos, but I'll post some pictures of what I have for rigging, although it is compiled of a few random pieces, so I will be redoing it hopefully over the next week or so. I saw some smaller SS turnbuckles on amazon so I might give them a shot.

Feb 20, 2020
I'm going up tomorrow, I'll show you the cleat. it's a simple little thing, that catches a knock on the line.
I won;t be removing the keel tomorrow, but it appears to be a single bolt that holds it in place.
Yeah it's just weight that holds it down.

PS, I like the windows on yours. Are those custom?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020
Thanks @ScrapMtl appreciate it! And yea they are there two prices so they can slide open! The front has new windows too but they don’t open. If you are able to a picture of the top of the mast would be awesome too, the metal above the block that the main sail halyard runs on is bent I think I’ll have to build a new one but I’m not sure if it’s all there? I think there is supposed to be a back stay/maybe to the back of the boom?

Feb 20, 2020
@smkinna hey man, sorry I didn't get to the boat today, as I had planned.
Hopefully, the weather next week is decent. I plan on getting alot of detail photos; as I'm about to start a restoration and modification.
I always do before and after shots. And I tend to photo every little part.

Any issues with those windows leaking? I'd love to have sliding windows, if I was sure they wouldn't leak.
I'm going to be doing alot of interior cabinet work. So don;t want anything that'll ruin it.
Mine also has front windows, and they do open, but leak horribly.