Registered users don't see ads

Tips For A Great Buff & Wax

Discussion in 'Musings With Maine Sail' started by Maine Sail, Apr 7, 2010. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    4,544 posts, 676 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS

2. onlinelee

onlinelee

Joined Apr 8, 2016
    114 posts, 7 likes
    Beneteau 361 Clipper
    Sp Garrucha, Spain
    The whole port side had been wet sanded, washed and wiped. I used all 3 3M products on the finished part but no wax at this stage - I hope I answered this correctly. Having spent many years selling adhesive tapes I was totally confident the adhesive used on these decals, and the surface of GelCoat meant they would stick just as well with wax. Also, I note what BoatGraphics don't say ( because most of their clients are not pro installers ) is that decals can be applied " wet " A little dish soap in a spray bottle sprayed on the surface allowes the installer to move the decal without sticking into position, wipe off, job done.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  3. Scott B

Scott B Moderator

Joined Sep 20, 2006
    2,512 posts, 103 likes
    Hunter 33
    CA Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
    @Maine Sail I am replacing the name on our boat that has been on for 10 years. Hull has decent shine and I typically use Ultra Cutting cream and wax each year. How aggressive will I need to go to remove the shadow of the old name. Will the Ultra work or will I need to use something like Gelcoat compound.

4. Maine Sail

Maine Sail Moderator

Joined Feb 6, 1998
    10,618 posts, 469 likes
    Canadian Sailcraft 36T
    US Casco Bay, ME
    Don't even try. You need to let the sun do it... I've seen folks burn though the entire thickness of the gelcoat with wet sand paper only to still have shadow just now mixed with raw glass...

jviss likes this.
  5. Scott B

Scott B Moderator

Joined Sep 20, 2006
    2,512 posts, 103 likes
    Hunter 33
    CA Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
    Gotcha, polish and wax it is. Thanks!!!

Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!