In deep on my V17

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Yep this wed 420 race day, then again in 2 weeks (every other wed).

air show on a powerboat... BTDT, its the wakes that make it tough..
my .02 advise: go a little late, don't sit for an hour while you get waked... but its the best seat in the house. tbirds banked over us... could read air-force on the helmet.....
I'll Probably take a kayak out at lloyds, or Birch park.

Aluminum poles don't float either... and more $.
Everything is looking really good!

-fwiw, on my trailers, I wrap the metal with PVC pipe cut in half... just in case you make contact.. you can also bend them to make a funnel or V, like a float on type.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
Thanks! Great idea with the PVC covers.
Maybe have room on boat if you want to tag along , we are going to tie up along our friends 45 footer. If it's rough, plans may change.

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
I finished up re-installing the running rigging hardware. This is the new standing rigging and turnbuckles. Also tried out the roller reefing set up on the main. May be ready for another sail! About time.

I still need to install the electrical system consisting of nav/anchor lights, bilge pump, stereo, cabin and cockpit lighting, battery, switch/ cb panel, distribution block, and 12v. outlets. Charging will be done at home and with solar.

ForumRunner_20120502_095913.jpg

Attachments

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Stock main sheet mounts to a tang that rotates on the end of the boom.

To reef just loosen the thump screw that keeps the boom from rotating, release the main and roll the main up like a window shade.

Now just tighten the thumb screw and raise the main.

Note that the thumb screw just locates in the slot in the boom.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Stock main sheet mounts to a tang that rotates on the end of the mast.

To reef just loosen the thump screw that keeps the boom from rotating, release the main and roll the main up like a window shade.

Now just tighten the thumb screw and raise the main.

Note that the thumb screw just locates in the slot in the boom.
Thanks. I think that I've read that a lot of people that had it on the boat from the factory don't use it? A reason for this if true?

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Several of the reasons for non use are

If the sail is rolled around the boom than you cannot use a vang or mid boom sheeting.

Just like all furling sails the shape is compromised when rolled.

A plus is with a bolt rope you can wind instead of flake when lowering for the day.

I have been on old sail boats with a 8 inch diameter wood boom with a crank and a gear drive to roll the sail.

Slab reefing gives a better sail shape.

Some boats even have slab reefing on the head sail.

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
I agree it's not ideal, but it does work. I swapped the original gooseneck with one from Dwyer. This one you pull aft and rotate.

I will have another look at the rake, it may need some more adjustment. I like the idea of using the level and the halyard.

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
I did adjust the rake, it was a bit forward now is better. Thanks man.

I just finished the majority of the electrical system today. It even works like it is supposed to! I made a box to hold a master switch, a distribution block, a stereo, and all the wires. It lives in a storage compartment under the berth. Very easy to get into and all the wires are concealled. I dont know how or if the original even had an electrical system but this is my rendition. Still have to run wires and mount the cockpit lights and the fan. Pics on the next post. All lighting is LED.

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
Here it is. Dont knock the long bolts too much, they still need to be trimmed. The wires just need to be protected and hung. Also will be doing more interior finish work down the road.

Attachments

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
Wires- I used a bunch of heat shrink but thats a good idea!

Lights- They are and you know, thats a damn good question? Hopefully it'l clear. If not, I will just have to be super vigilant. Legally I sneak under the radar of light req'mnts. saillboats less than 20 with a top speed of 7 have some exceptions.

Battery- Yes, its strapped around the side quite tightly I might add.

Other- We went but rafted up on the ICW at sunrise bay. Fun Fun Fun!
Hope the house is coming along, see ya soon.
On Saturday, we will be sailing down to Biscayne Bay for an overnight/raft up party.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have both the rolling boom and two sets of reef points in my main. I also have a bail for a vang and use it from time to time. Here are some observations I can share when comparing the two different reefing options.

If the sail is rolled around the boom than you cannot use a vang or mid boom sheeting.
Very true... and when running in heavy wind (good time to reef) a vang is very useful.

Just like all furling sails the shape is compromised when rolled.
I know this is the prevailing wisdom and one of the reasons I have hanked headsails but..this has not been my observation with the rolling boom for the main. I find that I get a very nice sail shape, especially if I've taken care to roll the sail tightly around the boom. However I have found it very difficult and time consuming to reef the sail once underway. Single handed it is impossible. Short handed it is very hard. Usually you are reefing because the wind is up, and rolling the sail up on the boom with one hand, taming all of the lines with the other and steering the boat into the wind with our foot just doesn't work. It takes too long for one thing.

If I need to shorten sail once I'm already out, I use the slab system. However, If I see it is kind of rough before I head out, I will shorten sail using the rolling boom. It is VERY easy to let out sail using the rolling boom. So if the wind lightens or my nerve hardens during the day, I let out more sail simple by releasing the thumb screw and pulling on the halyard. Easypeasyleamonsqueezy.

Another thing about the rolling boom is that if you leave it free to roll with the sail all the way out, the foot takes on a nicer shape. You don't get that kringle in the foot that you normally see. Probably only adds 0.001kt to your boat speed but ...

A plus is with a bolt rope you can wind instead of flake when lowering for the day.
That is definitely a plus... see photo.

Attachments

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
I totally agree on reefing with the roller underway. Like juggling in the wind standing on one foot and half drunk. Every time, I swear it will be the last.
Got some temporary cushion extensions for cheap. Not perfect but will do.
Also am experimenting with an ice chest air conditioner.

Attachments

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
That cool shirt is an interesting concept. Bet it gets cold.
I have one of those carfano? fans mounted inside as well. It will blow right on me for sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.