In deep on my V17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
Well I am up to my usual overkill routines. In order to get all the leaks on this V17 I ended up cutting off the old rub rail and separating the hull and deck. Once I get all the old sealant off and everything cleaned up, it will be time to glue and screw it together again. Also going to need a new rub rail. Has anyone else done this? I would like to hear your story.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
or sailorman....
mcdonalds hardware (both on SR 84)... are good sources for hardware or supplies...

overkill is right... I don't think you needed to split the hull and deck for a basic reseal.... but once done, you won't have to worry about that again.

But, now that you're so deep, how about using SS machine screws and nuts vs SS wood screws the factory used?

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
I found the taco rub rail kit at Dusky's and I get a discount there so I think thats where it will come from.
Pics to follow, but this morning I did the deed. Using my tree in the front yard and two 4:1 lifting blocks I single handedly lifted the top clear of the bottom. No problemo! I wheeled the bottom back to the work area and with the help of my little giant ladder so I can get in the monster, I will bring her back from the dead.
This was the best way to do this for sure. It will be so easy to rebuild the interior, beef up the boat where needed, and install all the deck hardware. The top is leaning on its side and a sawhorse up against some shrubs. All windows were pulled prior to lifting.
Also got the solid steel centerboard out today. Grind it, rustoleum it, seal it in epoxy and put it back. That sucker is freakin heavy.(275 lbs)
Found a bunch of mold/mildew damage in the dark spots and one crescent wrench that had been left on the hull for its whole life. It looked like a melted rust pile in shape of the wrench. Tomorrow will be the day of figuring out how to best turn the bottom over for paint.

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
Btw Bill, all fasteners will be SS screws w/ locknuts. 5200 to seal the deck hull joint, lifecalk to bed the hardware and seal the windows to the deck, and silicone to seal the lexan to the frames and for other plastic fittings. God bless Mcdonalds hardware and buying in bulk. Oh yeah, no sailing this week.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
B. O. A. T.

you know what that stands for...

this should be really nice example when you're done.

+(pm sent)

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
I am doing something similar to you, but i didnt lift the deck off. I took the toe rails, and all the fittings off. The deck is still screwed to the hull, by the screws that were under the toe rails, i had to tighten all of those up. I have been cleaning away the old sealant (which is now like cardboard) from where the toe rails were, and getting as much of it out of between the hull and deck as i can. I am then going to grind the fiberglass, and glass the hull deck joint, with two inch tape, and resin. I am then going to replace the toe rails, with butyl tape under them, drill through the toe rails into the hull and put in machine screws, washers and lock washers, which i am going to seal each one, with plenty of sealant. I am toying with the idea, of getting oversize windows cut, putting them on the outside of the cabin, and bolting them on, with a rubber gasket inbetween the window and cabin, and again, sealing all the bolts.

I think, if i do all this, for the first time in my life, i will have a boat, that i dont have to take a shower every time i am in my bunk, if it dosent work, its back to the gore tex bivy bag.

I am quite impressed that you took the deck off. I have had everything else off of a sailboat, but i have never removed the deck from one.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I am doing something similar to you, but i didnt lift the deck off. I took the toe rails, and all the fittings off. The deck is still screwed to the hull, by the screws that were under the toe rails, i had to tighten all of those up. I have been cleaning away the old sealant (which is now like cardboard) from where the toe rails were, and getting as much of it out of between the hull and deck as i can. I am then going to grind the fiberglass, and glass the hull deck joint, with two inch tape, and resin. I am then going to replace the toe rails, with butyl tape under them, drill through the toe rails into the hull and put in machine screws, washers and lock washers, which i am going to seal each one, with plenty of sealant. I am toying with the idea, of getting oversize windows cut, putting them on the outside of the cabin, and bolting them on, with a rubber gasket inbetween the window and cabin, and again, sealing all the bolts.

I think, if i do all this, for the first time in my life, i will have a boat, that i dont have to take a shower every time i am in my bunk, if it dosent work, its back to the gore tex bivy bag.

I am quite impressed that you took the deck off. I have had everything else off of a sailboat, but i have never removed the deck from one.
I PM'd you on the toerail Al.

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
Today was a big day. Got the hull into the air and turned over. Again, by myself, thanks to pulleys. Now it is upside down on some work roller platforms. I scraped one half of the hull and sanded it down to the orig. gelcoat. Tommorrow I will finish the other side. Then I prime and paint. Now if I only was 100% on my choice. I need to find out the toughest paint job for the money. It is trailered but will do the occasional week or two in the water.

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
More pics. Just got the book fix it and sail. Good reference. The gray finish is pettit barrier coat(4700). Finished with rustoleum topside marine paint. This is identical to Pettit easypoxy. I am filing all holes with epoxy and West system 403. The rotted wood is what happens when you bed hardware with silicone instead of something worthy.

Attachments

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
today is sandblasting day for the CB. when its home, I will prime with the pettit 4700 and finish with the same topside paint. Moving right along. BTW, I hate sanding.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I really like the work you are doing. Good job. It sure is easier working on the hull and deck like that.

I've never seen a 17 up close, but as you know we have been considering one. About the only thing I don't like about them is that the keel hangs down and doesn't fully retract up into the trunk, so the boat needs more draft vs. some other boats that size and it also looks like it rides pretty high on the trailer which might make it a little more difficult to launch.

Now the big question. Do you see anyway to modify the trunk/keel combo so that the keel would retract further up into the boat? Would it then impact the interior room too much?

We are interested in the boat primarily for day sailing, but like the small cabin as it looks like we could overnight for a few nights with it.

Thanks and keep the pictures coming, and you are going to end up with a boat you can really be proud of,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
Thanks Sumner, We thought about modifying the CB trunk but I dont think it will be worth it. Too risky if it doesnt work as planned. Also we would lose the flat floor area which is nice on an already cramped cabin.
It does ride higher than a boat with a full trunk but not so high that it really matters. Launching it was very easy.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Sumner

My trailer has a V to accept the keel so that the boat sits just on top of the fenders.

The V also alines the back of the boat when loading.

Status
Not open for further replies.