Exhaust flange gasket on Universal M18

adamv

May 17, 2022
Newport 28 mkII Bowen island
I recently did a bunch of work on the engine on the hard - it's been almost a month so very keen to get it back on the water!! I had hoped I could reuse the square 3 hole thick card gasket which connects between the radiator and exhaust flange but low and behold coolant drips out.
Catalina direct do them for $4 but I don't want to wait another week (this $4 will translate into $304 including yard use!)
Has anyone tried using gasket card from Napa or Canadian tire etc for this? Would it need to be coated with liquid gasket etc?
Thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Order the correct gasket from CD. In the mean time, buy some cheap gasket card from the local auto parts store and cut a new gasket and install it. It should be more than sufficient to get your boat from the TravelLift to your slip. When the new one comes in, replace. More work for sure, however, to save $330, not much work at all.

adamv

May 17, 2022
Newport 28 mkII Bowen island
Thanks yes this is basically what I'm going to do - the question is whether I can just use regular impregnated gasket card (which I have) or whether I need something high heat specific and whether I should add some permatex etc to it?
I'd of course rather have the CD one as a backup and keep with one I made if it can be done in a way which lasts

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Would it need to be coated with liquid gasket etc?
Only coat the flange side. Why? Because the engine side is a bear to clean off next time and properly tightened the gasket will work just fine without goop. I goop the flange side so I know it's properly lined up before I slide it on to the studs.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
whether I should add some permatex etc to it?
Try some temporary gasket material but be careful what you coat the gasket with. You don't want just "Permatex" on the flange faces. It must be Permatex Anti Seize. Permatex sealants are difficult to remove even if the flanges are sitting in your lap. Place the flange face attached to the engine in a difficult location and -you-will-lose-it- trying to get it clean. A sealant is not required on these flanges as the exhaust pressure is near zero.

1722398102966.png

My exhaust flange faces are nearly inaccessible and I refuse to remove the riser just to clean it. Once you are back there, you are working blind The stud guides shown are removed and replaced in order with the original grade 8 bolts. Both flange faces and the gasket are well coated and the gasket drops away when the flange faces are separated.

1722398724577.png