Build a Better Boat Hook?

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I have three of the aluminum telescoping boat hooks because they fit in my lazarette, but yes, they collapse or extend when you don’t want them to and I also somehow manage to pinch my hand in them at least once every season.

I saw these last weekend at Yachtapalooza and thought they were pretty cool. I didn’t buy one, but may the next time I need to replace a boat hook. The architect/engineer in me did kind of wonder if they might also collapse in compression, especially if simultaneously twisted or midpoint lateral (bending) pressure is applied. But they are a whole new take on what a boat hook can be. Maybe the better mousetrap is here(?). I don’t know…

Last edited:

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
The great redneck boat hook!!!

It has been out in the elements for the last 18 months so it needed some work to return it to its original configuration. Closet Rod with the end drilled out to accept the boat hook.

IMG_20220419_193709172.jpg

Here, you can see the three handholds made with binders twine (garden twine).

IMG_20220419_193730947.jpg

I first laid a loop on the rod and then wrapped the loop to create the handhold. Then I stuck the loose end through the loop.
IMG_20220419_195024241.jpg

Pull on the loose end of the loop to bury both ends and trim off the excess. I used several layers of varnish to seal the twine so it would last longer in the weather.
IMG_20220419_195110295.jpg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
In addition to the two boat hooks I have, I'd really like to have a grapple - not too big, but one that I can use to snag lines and other things in the water as the need or want arises. I have only seen ones that are bigger than what I'd want to keep on board. Any ideas?

Jun 18, 2015
Mascot 28 Pilothouse Motorsailer Grand Manan
In addition to the two boat hooks I have, I'd really like to have a grapple - not too big, but one that I can use to snag lines and other things in the water as the need or want arises. I have only seen ones that are bigger than what I'd want to keep on board. Any ideas?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks, that looks good. One would have to be careful tossing one of those from a sailboat, with all the lines, rigging, bimini and dodger framework, etc.!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Large, dulled, weighted, three pronged, snatch hook with 200lb test line.

-Will

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Thanks, that looks good. One would have to be careful tossing one of those from a sailboat, with all the lines, rigging, bimini and dodger framework, etc.!
Watch Deadliest Catch for the proper way of throwing these things. Most of them use an overhand "no swing" technique that requires very little room.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Back in the Chesapeake
I made my own. Took 1/4" diameter 316 stainless rod, one longer, one shorter, with about a 1 1/2" diameter curve on both ends. Folded the two rods using the longer rod to make an eye for a line to attach and then welded them together. Makes for a nice easy to throw 4 pronged grapple that isn't too heavy and yet quite strong. Doesn't damage other boats if you throw it to them. Because of the 4 hooks, grabs things quite nicely. Overall length is probably about 6 or 7 inches. Width across the grapples probably about 4 inches. I've never measured it. I'd take a picture but it's on my boat.

dj

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I made my own. Took 1/4" diameter 316 stainless rod, one longer, one shorter, with about a 1 1/2" diameter curve on both ends. Folded the two rods using the longer rod to make an eye for a line to attach and then welded them together. Makes for a nice easy to throw 4 pronged grapple that isn't too heavy and yet quite strong. Doesn't damage other boats if you throw it to them. Because of the 4 hooks, grabs things quite nicely. Overall length is probably about 6 or 7 inches. Width across the grapples probably about 4 inches. I've never measured it. I'd take a picture but it's on my boat.

dj
Nice! Please make one for me! :)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Back in the Chesapeake
Those are interesting. Very inexpensive! I'm guessing they are likely made from probably a 420 type martensitic stainless steel. The Amazon site says:
Handmade stainless steel claws with Germany professional cutting tools stainless steel, oil quenching after high temperature heat treatment, strong and hard enough for daily outdoor use.

Germany likes those alloys. They will be quite strong, but not very corrosion resistant. But hey, for the price - you could buy 10 of them...hahhahahaa

dj