Repairing Hunter 40 damage from Hurricane Matthew

May 8, 2013
Hunter 40 Dataw Island, SC
Making drawers and things:

I can't put it off any longer - gotta make the drawers! The last time I did that I made some really nice deep drawers but they were a bit too narrow - a standard utensil tray would not fit :banghead::banghead:. Remembering that fiasco, I went out and bought a tray beforehand and took measurements! New drawers are bit shallower but wide enough now for the utensil tray. Next was to build the box inset for the drawers:

I also built in the slide for the trashcan. That's that weird looking offset on the right of the box. Then test-fitting and mounting to the galley face (its upside down in the pic):

Then back together for a test fit. I made some simple slides, routed slots in the drawers and (astonishingly!) they work as actual drawers:

After a short break - which included an adult beverage (or three :biggrin:) it all came apart once again for paint and clearcoat:

Flip everything over and:

Next up, putting it all back together (again!) this time for the final time!

Cheers,

Mark

May 8, 2013
Putting the galley back together:

With the paint and clearcoat dry the galley goes back together:

I haven't clearcoated the fiddles yet - I'm waiting for a big pile of pieces so I can do them all at once (and there will be a BIG pile of pieces shortly!). With the galley in permanently I hooked up the faucet:

The hoses fit perfectly between the astronauts legs ;). Still waiting for a hose fitting for the thru-hull to connect the sink though:

And finally, I could connect the AC and DC for the galley:

Cold drinks onboard at last! Just a note, the electrical panels are not yet fully connected to all corners of the boat. I have all the cables run but I'm only connecting them when a particular area is finished. I have to admit the new panel configuration looks much cleaner than the older style.

Next up, round 2 making cabinet doors and drawer faces to fill all those gaping holes!

Cheers,

Mark

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Mark, you have written previously about the "riser" under the stove. Will those cabinet doors behind the stove open once the stove is in place? :huh: Inquiring minds want to know.

May 8, 2013
Mark, you have written previously about the "riser" under the stove. Will those cabinet doors behind the stove open once the stove is in place? :huh: Inquiring minds want to know.
I'm trying to see where your question is pointing to. If you mean the spacers I put under the stovetop, they are there to raise the lip of the stove off the countertop - I figure it will make cleaning a bit easier - and it gives me the working space underneath for when I can engineer and install the gimballing kit.

Are you thinking there will be stove components under the stovetop? In that case, no - the admiral and I decided against having an oven of any kind so you are seeing the complete install. The stovetop is it. All there will be behind or under it eventually will be what I need to gimbal the stovetop. If at all. What I found with the original gimballed stove/oven (long gone, replaced years ago with the previous stovetop) was that while a gimballed stove was ok if cooking while heeled it was useless when pitching. I actually liked the fixed stovetop better even when underway - the fixed top has a pretty good set of clamps for holding pots in place. Not so good for skillets so bacon will be done on the grill :biggrin:.

Did that help or am I off in left field? (not an unusual spot for me :))

Mark

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mark
First time I have seen the cabinet doors. I see you used conventional hardware (Chrome/steel handles).
How are you securing the cabinet doors when sailing?

May 8, 2013
Mark
First time I have seen the cabinet doors. I see you used conventional hardware (Chrome/steel handles).
How are you securing the cabinet doors when sailing?
Hi John,

I think I posted a while back how i was "handling" the cabinet latches but I'm too lazy to go back and check :biggrin:. In a nutshell I built my own cam latches - here are the parts:

Just basic hardware and some plastic bushings. Installed:

I'm still on the hunt for a commercially available solution but until then I will use these and continue to tweak the concept and design.

Mark

May 8, 2013
Cabinet doors, Part 2:

Time for round 2 making doors (and drawer faces). No drama here, just lots of time on the saw and router. Here is about half of this round mostly done:

And installed:

At this point I ran out of latches so had to wait for more to arrive. In the spirit of the Youtube "unboxing" thing, I will do an "unboxing" post soon with the new latches :biggrin:.

Working around the boat catching up on the remaining doors:

Next up, a mystery. I turned perfectly good wood into these parts:

And made this:

What is it?

Cheers,

Mark

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm not with you guys on the trash bag holder. Unless it's not finished, those corner blocks are too sharp not to chafe a garbage bag when at sea.

It's not very big, so maybe not a compression post case. But it looks like a pedestal for something.

-Will

May 8, 2013
I'm gonna let you guys swing in the wind for a bit longer, but one answer was spot on. Not saying which one, yet ;)