Hull thickness on Hunter 34

Oct 3, 2016
Hunter 34 Alameda
I am a new owner of a Hunter 34 built in 1986. I need to have an in-hull transducer mounted, but there are restrictions on the thickness of the fiberglass for this shoot-through device to function accurately. Anybody have any idea what the below-the-waterline hull thickness is? Can't seem to find this info in any of the posted specs. The most likely mounting location is in the quarterberth area.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I don't have good information on the thickness.. The picture shows my depth sender in the little shower sump and the speed transducer under the white cover just forward and very slightly to stbd .. Both are standard length transducers from Signet Instruments.. I think the hull thickness is around 1" at the speed sensor and a bit more in the area of the shower sump where the depth sender is..
P2040768.JPG

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hull thickness is likely not the issue, but whether your hull might have a void in the location of the transducer. Our shoot through transducer needed solid FRP in order to obtain an accurate reading. Most all Hunters were built with solid FRP below the waterline. Test the spot by resting the transducer on a ZIP lock bag full of water making sure there are no air bubbles in the bag. If you get a false reading pick a different spot. The spot I picked was next to the shaft strut plate where I got a good reading. That was several years ago and it is still spot on.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
My depth sounder and speed transducers are through-hull, under the V-Berth. Dry area. Accessed by lifting the small covers of the shelves on either side below the berth itself. If I recall correctly, when I removed th old instruments years ago and replaced them, the fiberglass thickness there was about 3/8''. It-s a bear to run the wires from there but you gain the advantage of being in front of the keel, hence no cavitation to distort the depth and speed reading.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Kloudie is correct. I believe that the hull thickness in the shower sump area is just under 1 inch and that location is probably the best location due to it is one of the most flat areas of the hull forward of the keel.
I installed mine there and used the water bag technique to find a good spot then used a big glob of clear silicon to mount it. I angled mine forward slightly so I am able to read the bottom in front of the boat. I navigate in very shallow waters and it helps me to prevent grounding. Other people have used toilet wax seals to mount the transducer with great results.
Hope this helps

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 34 Forked River, NJ
I also used that area in front of the shower sump for my Garmin chart plotter transducer, works great.

May 3, 2021
Hunter H34 Marina Del Rey
Hey guys, im farely new to the forum. I kinda wanted to pick up on those thread because I dont have any idea on what transducer for chart plotter/fishfinder combo..I dont have a thru hull for the transducer amd am wondering if you guys can give me some advice on what trans/chart plotter I cn use. There is a thru hull for the depth finder transducer but im not sure if I can use that thru hull for a chart plotter/ fish finder transducer instead of just for the depth finder? Im trying the keep from Drilling any hole on the boat especially on the bottom of the boat..I blood preassure high as it is and feel like it will be one more way night boat can sink /:...any advice would be greatly apreciated ..
Albert
#yourawesome:)

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I installed an Air Conditioner Unit on my 2000 340 in 2006. It took me a while, but I found the plug that was drilled out. (I looked all afternoon, I got to get better at this finding stuff.)
As Kloudie and Capt Robbie have said, the flattest area is forward of the keel and the best location.
My intake for the air conditioner is 4 inches from the front of the keel on the starboard side. For my boat that is the most forward part of my bilge area and flat.
It's just under 1 inch thick. Here are the pictures of the plug.
I hope this helps you.

Attachments

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
According to Hunter Marine, the hull around the engine raw water intake is approximately 5/8" thick. This is in the area of the aft/quarter berth. That was on a 2000 H340.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021
Im looking g to install a chartplotter/fish finder on my 1984 hunter 34 ...im wondering if any of you h34 owners have an inhull mounten transducer and if you can provide me with the info on the model amd mounting location..maybe what chartpl9tter/fishfinder you are using it with?
Thanks
Albert

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
Im looking g to install a chartplotter/fish finder on my 1984 hunter 34 ...im wondering if any of you h34 owners have an inhull mounten transducer and if you can provide me with the info on the model amd mounting location..maybe what chartpl9tter/fishfinder you are using it with?
Thanks
Albert
I just installed an Axiom 9 to my
ST4000 Auto pilot. and S60 tridata and wind speed indicator. Don't worry about hull thickness, they generally have plenty of ability to work with the H34 hull. My knot meter sender is in the forward bilge by the shower.

Modern multifunction displays like the Axiom are wonderful.

May 3, 2021
Thanks for the reply Mike. What model/brand of transducer did you install with the axiom 9?.its my first sailboat and am still learning so if Im asking a dump question please excuse me.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
My transducer was from an old Raymarine S60 which isn't working. I had the head checked out and it was fine so it's probably the sender, which I'll send out for a check. All brands come with about 4 inches of shaft to take any thickness hull, so not an issue. I've owned our boat since 1984 and we let it go too long so we've just finishing a almost 3 year restoration and upgrade, complete with new North sails and roller furler. The site for before, during and after pictures is below. If you have questions on the boat, use this forum or just PM me.

Mike