Cutting my Rub Rail

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
When our Boat was Lifted of shore from...
Repairing boat after Hurricane Zeta

Sea Tow had a awkward position to properly lift the boat and caused this damage.

BoatLiftDamage.JPG

1) Any thoughts or reasons not to cut the Rub Rail at the Green Line and roll the Rub Rail out the way, for that minor hull fix?

If no, major issues then...

2) How would you reconnect the cut spot?

Jim...

PS: Insurance is paying for full removal and replacement of the 100 feet of the full boat's rub rail.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
When our Boat was Lifted of shore from...
Repairing boat after Hurricane Zeta

Sea Tow had a awkward position to properly lift the boat and caused this damage.

View attachment 194398

1) Any thoughts or reasons not to cut the Rub Rail at the Green Line and roll the Rub Rail out the way, for that minor hull fix?

If no, major issues then...

2) How would you reconnect the cut spot?

Jim...

PS: Insurance is paying for full removal and replacement of the 100 feet of the full boat's rub rail.
If “insurance is paying for full replacement...”, why would you want to do otherwise?

The seams would always show, probably leak eventually, indicate some “half-ass fix and detract from the value.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I would not cut the rub rail. Find the closest natural break and then remove the rub rail in one piece up to the area that needs to be repaired. Do not remove any fasteners beyond the repair area.

When the rail is released, it will likely contract a few inches which will make it more difficult to reinstall. To reinstall it, the rub rail will need to be warmed and placed under a lot of tension. As the rail stretches secure it. If the original screw holes can be lined up, that is a good sign. The last few screws may not line up precisely.

A hot Mississippi day will help.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
why would you want to do otherwise?
As @dlochner noted the Rub Rail has one Seam on the Aft of the boat. This allows the Weather deck drainage to flow aft and off the boat. Nice OEM install technique.

I could pull that side of Rub Rail forward, but not off the entire boat.:cool:

Reasons I do not want to replace it entirely.
1) I have bigger damages to Fiberglass fix properly.
2) They have adjusted paid me for this part already and other parts that were not compensated are on my $$$
3) I want to go Sailing in 2021.:)

How to reseal the weather deck hull to bottom hull and missing screws is known by me and the Dry Docks. [I will show that in the Damage Link above, when it happens.]

Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Just talked with the FRP repair guy, with 40 years experience.

@dlochner method is the path forward.
Remove/Pull back just enough rub rail, put that part on boat deck to avoid gravity removing it more, fix and put Rub Rail back in place.

No cutting the Rub Rail.

@Don S/V ILLusion advice was taken into account too.

In addition, they will get rid of the gel coat stress cracks, which made the Admiral smile.

Thanks again for the input.
Jim...

PS: Detail cleaning of the boat, at the end, Rub Rail included.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Is this a two part rub rail. Is the grey part fine. Insert will need to come out but mark that part with a pencil so you know where it goes back to. Cut off old damage piece and replace it with a new section. Base held in by screws. Repair any fiberglass issues before putting back base and insert of tub rail

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Jim
Go to home page for hunter owners. Go to help in the upper right. Ask for advice. Either joe or Al will help as they are former Hunter employees. They know their stuff

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Either joe or Al will help as they are former Hunter employees. They know their stuff
I have and Joe Kerr has become a good friend.

I use them frequently and very worth the small fee $35
1-to-1 Hunter Support and Service

Joe actually wired my boat!!

Al was involved in laying up the Keel.

Joe has provided invaluable information and insight and is a great Marine Electrician for boats other than Hunters too.
Jim...

PS: I post things that might be of interest to other Sailors too
PSS: They have access to most the Hunter shop drawing