Diesel Fuel Tank Inspection Port

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Keep the port water tank full. Some have moved the batteries to the port side as well. I just keep the port storage full of refreshments

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Nodak7 - thanks for the photos. That inspection port looks like something you would use on a metal tank - where did you source it from?
What I am considering is attached.

View attachment 188289View attachment 188290.
SW sorry it took so long to respond. I installed the Seabilt 8" metal plate. I looked at the plastic ones and was concerned about flex. These fit in nice and are sturdy. Plus there are lots of bolts to keep the gaskets sealed! Here is the website. They are a bit more expensive but when it comes to leaking diesel in the boat I thought it was good insurance! Good luck!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
THANK YOU - I have been trying to find this article. How in the heck did you fit down that hole in the starboard locker? My teenage daughter call it "the Pit."
Glad to help. Regarding fitting in the hole, I was always the skinny guy in high school and took a lot of grief for that. 50 years later and it finally paid off. It is indeed the "pit".

I put a couple of 6 volt batteries on the port side to even out the list. Keeping the water tank full helps too.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Might be easier and a lot cheaper just removing the fuel occasionally instead of a polishing system considering the tank is small. I would not use the access port on the right that you posted. I’d make a cut out access and use a gasket and cover panel secured with screws if I had to make more access.

Feb 12, 2020
Hunter 356 119 Stockholm
The one above is from Fisheries Supply. The bottom section folds and then fits inside the tank through the hole you drill. Also, your tank probably has a center baffle which may mean you need two of these.
I have installed this a couple of years ago in water tank and fuel tank. Both tanks are in plastic and no problems so far. I open them every year for inspection of the tanks.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
to get into the pit I step down onto what I think is part of the icebox then back down to the flat spot along the hull so you are facing the fuel tank

May 30, 2023
Catalina 42 Richmond YC
I found fuel tank inspection ports here: Cleanout Access Ports for about $40 for a 4" opening, 6" outside round aluminum port (with solvent-compatible gasket). A whole lot cheaper than SeaBuilt, hopefully will work well on my 34-38(?) gal Cat 42 tank, which had more rust-like stuff in the bottom.

jmaitz

Aug 14, 2023
Catalina 30 mkII Lake Monroe
I found fuel tank inspection ports here: Cleanout Access Ports for about $40 for a 4" opening, 6" outside round aluminum port (with solvent-compatible gasket). A whole lot cheaper than SeaBuilt, hopefully will work well on my 34-38(?) gal Cat 42 tank, which had more rust-like stuff in the bottom.
Am I off that $200+ for a 6 inch piece of aluminum is fairly high even in boat bucks?