bragging

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hodgdon Bros. Alden Caravelle Seabrook, Texas
Jon, I have a Campbells sailer 3 blade prop. Banjo Girl is equipped a BETA 38 diesel and can easily motor at over 7 knots. (although I usually don't push that hard) ...3 blade is also helpful in a seaway or against a current. I had a 2 blade prior to that. I don't notice a difference under sail and a get a very substantial credit with the PHRF committee for having either a fixed 2 or fixed 3 blade prop. (more for 3 blade). With the 2 blade, I did mark the shaft so I could attempt to lock it in place behind the deadwood...

My belief is that the boats with a very slippery hull really benefit from a folding or feathering prop. I believe that our boats with the attached rudder and prop in aperture don't benefit nearly as much. The water is already disturbed there anyway... The math works for PHRF racing and even being a fixed 3 blade it's design (campbell sailer) is a pretty slippery prop I know a 2 blade would be better still.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
a long time ago i had a 69' Z28, red with black strips, holly duel pumper, stick, 11 to 1 compression, posi tracktion, 7000 rpm red line, and a lead foot. bragging again :)

May 25, 2012
back in the day i rode my 77' BMW r100s from L.A. to toledo in 74 hrs getting to my buds wedding with an hour to spare. after a 8,700 mile run on my first venture out west. i was young and dumb

now i'm old and dumb

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
i'm still thinking i've got the fastest caravelle. sometimes in a dog fight it's not the plane it's the pilot'
i'm a huge fan of Frank Bethwaite!
every sailor should read Frank

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
1585717193969.png

bought this new in 87', still got it, 454 rat block, love a stroker, use it as the tender for the Ascow. it takes some 300 hp to right a flipped Ascow, this has more. still runs like new

some days the wind don't blow, then motoring can be fun

Last edited:

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hodgdon Bros. Alden Caravelle Seabrook, Texas
Well I guess I'll have to chime in again @jon.

First photo is our Donzi 22 classic with a 502 big block. Those are two opti prams on the back of the truck so still sailing related. We were on our way to Miami for the Orange bowl regatta. ...most people used a zodiac rib or something similar for their Opti chase boat. I'm not very practical and also a bit of a gear head so we chose the Donzi 22 classic.

below that is that is my
'74 Carrera with a twin plug, high compression 3.0 with individual throttle bodies ...it is a hoot.

I'd still love to race you in the Caravelle. ...might lose, might not. The Donzi would win the power boat race for sure. Not sure on the air cooled porsche but I'm pretty confident there too.
orange bowl.jpg

june2019 autocross.jpg

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
So I’m curious about the race format? Sail, power boat and then car race or some other order, will the individual events have heats, will they all happen on the same day?? So many questions ;)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Is this like an Ironman triathlon for vehicles?

most people used a zodiac rib or something similar for their Opti chase boat. I'm not very practical and also a bit of a gear head so we chose the Donzi 22 classic.
You could just tell people that a rib is good for other Opti sailor's, but to be an effective chase boat for YOUR Optis, you need something with a little more ooMPH. ;)

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 25, 2012
huge low going through, endless bands of rain. boats all snug for the winter.
cooking Osso Buco this afternoon just for the fun of it. took my butcher 4 weeks to fill my order. house smells nice

:cool: