17' Lofland Picnic Sailboat

Mar 4, 2020
Catalina C 30 4292 Vancouver
@ScrapMtl I got some photos for you of my rigging that I'm planning to redo.
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.20.15 PM.png

This is my shroud both ends look identical with the swage fittings except the other end has a clevis pin not a wing nut and a counter sunk machine screw. There are no turn buckles on the shrouds so I will be adding some when I refit it. The cable is probably 1/16" maybe 3/32. I think I'm going to use 1/8" cable when I redo it only because I found a cheap roll....
I plan to redo the fore stay as well. The forestay does however have a turnbuckle.
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.19.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.20.04 PM.png

Heres a couple photos of the Windows incase you're curious...

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.18.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.19.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.18.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.19.15 PM.png

Im Curious to know what the top of your mast looks like, as I said mines a bit bent and I believe there is a Boom topping lift, so I attached some photos for comparison...
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.21.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.21.54 PM.png

And here's where the keel comes up and some kind of hinged stopper (probably for a stainless steel cable and ball?)

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.21.05 PM.png

Mar 4, 2020
@smkinna
Any issues with those windows leaking? I'd love to have sliding windows, if I was sure they wouldn't leak.
I'm going to be doing alot of interior cabinet work. So don;t want anything that'll ruin it.
Mine also has front windows, and they do open, but leak horribly.
My front windows don't open the previous owner must have cut bigger holes and used a tinted piece of plexi glass and sealed it against the deck using silicone and nuts and bolts through the plexi glass and the deck. But as for my side windows I would defiantly say they aren't water proof but, the front piece of the plexi glass is on the outside so when the water runs to the stern of the boat it SHOULDN'T come in but if its raining I'm sure some could come in. On a previous sailboat I had went I redid interior wood pieces I used fibreglass resin over the wood finish to make it water proof and it seemed to work quite good.

Feb 20, 2020
Lofland Picnic 17' Lake Lanier, GA
My front windows don't open the previous owner must have cut bigger holes and used a tinted piece of plexi glass and sealed it against the deck using silicone and nuts and bolts through the plexi glass and the deck. But as for my side windows I would defiantly say they aren't water proof but, the front piece of the plexi glass is on the outside so when the water runs to the stern of the boat it SHOULDN'T come in but if its raining I'm sure some could come in. On a previous sailboat I had went I redid interior wood pieces I used fibreglass resin over the wood finish to make it water proof and it seemed to work quite good.
Wow, pretty much all of my equipment looks different than yours. However, I believe mine was quite a bit retrofitted from original.
I'm still waiting on a break in the weather. Hopefully this Tuesday (the only day I have available to myself, each week) I'll have a break, and can get up there. I'll grab a bunch of photos showing how mine is setup.

My cables are definitely 8th inch.
My roller furler is waaay different, I beleive aftermarket.
My halyard is quite different than yours, in fact my mast, in it's entirety.
The keel "clip" for lack of a better term, is pretty much the same as yours, And yes, my keel cable has little balls on it, that lock into it.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020
@ScrapMtl Yea judging by the photos your posted yours seems to be a lot more updated than mine! I guess maybe ill look into making a proper cable with the stoppers for my keel, I'm curious to know what you do with the excess cable when the keel is in the up position?
What brand is your furler it looks pretty nice, might have to get myself one of them!

Feb 20, 2020
@ScrapMtl Yea judging by the photos your posted yours seems to be a lot more updated than mine! I guess maybe ill look into making a proper cable with the stoppers for my keel, I'm curious to know what you do with the excess cable when the keel is in the up position?
What brand is your furler it looks pretty nice, might have to get myself one of them!
The extra cable just lays in the cockpit, when the keel is up.
I'm sure on the brand of my furler; it's what came with the boat. I'll take a look when I get back up there.

Feb 20, 2020
@smkinna
I, finally, got a good break in the weather, was able to get some sanding and painting done, and get some pictures.

Attachments

Feb 20, 2020
@ScrapMtl thanks for the photos I really appreciate it!
Yeah man, no prob. Once both our boats are completed, we'll need to find a halfway point to meet up, and do a boat camping trip.
So far, I'm about 1/3rd completed with my top deck. Once that's completed, I still have the cabin to do, and the keel.
I'm really excited to get this project done. I've never had a boat with a cabin, I could spend the night in.
Excited for my first camping trip, on a boat!

Feb 20, 2020
coming along.
Head and stove got delivered, today, as well.
So once the painting is completed, I start on cabinetry work.
Ol' "Nyssa" is coming back to life.

Attachments

Mar 4, 2020
Once both our boats are completed, we'll need to find a halfway point to meet up, and do a boat camping trip.
@ScrapMtl Always down for a camping trip!! I also just picked up a Catalina 30, too good of a deal to turn down. So the picnic might have to sit on the back burner for the next month! but yours is coming along great. What are you using for a head and where are you putting it?

Feb 20, 2020
@ScrapMtl Always down for a camping trip!! I also just picked up a Catalina 30, too good of a deal to turn down. So the picnic might have to sit on the back burner for the next month! but yours is coming along great. What are you using for a head and where are you putting it?
I bought a Thetford 935 porta-potti.
It's going near the hatch opening on the side opposite of the motor (weight distribution)
This boat was, originally, manufactured with a small head, and stove. So I'm just using the original locations for installation.
I am, however, going to add additional cabinetry to conceal them, and and make slide away settees.
It's a tight squeeze in this cabin, but I have a plan to make it all work, and not crowd it out. (Think tiny house layout, where parts are multifunctional)

Congrats on the Catalina. I wish I had a way for a larger boat. But Marina fees are too high, here, and a 30 is too big for daily trailering.
When I retire, I plan on selling the house, and buying a larg sailboat to live on, and travel the wold.

Feb 20, 2020
Some of the latest photos of the restoration progress in ol 'Nyssa'
IMG_20200417_194548278_HDR.jpgIMG_20200422_184956260_HDR.jpgIMG_20200422_185031069_HDR.jpgIMG_20200426_160250875_HDR.jpgIMG_20200426_221103627.jpgIMG_20200426_221135200_HDR.jpgIMG_20200427_160310771_HDR.jpgIMG_20200427_174646258_HDR.jpgIMG_20200502_192012969_HDR.jpgIMG_20200502_193855586_HDR.jpg

May 6, 2020
Lofland 17 Picnic Palatka, FL - St. Johns River
Hey everyone! - SO glad this thread has recent posts!!! I'm one of the few and proud team of co-owners of this unique and RARE sailboat - so HELLO to my fellow owners!!!
I have a 1963 Picnic that I purchased in 2011 from a man in St. Augustine, FL. He was a temporary owner and had bought and done some work but only to re-sell - he had never sailed it! My own occasional use and subsequent restoration/alteration are ongoing.

I do hope I can get some questions answered over time and share some of my own knowledge and experiences with everyone.

The tiller and rudder are not original on mine and I'm working on some improvements. Does anyone have an original rudder and tiller??? If so - can you take some measurements and pictures of it and post so I can re-create a match as best as possible???
Also looking for exact measurements for the original jib.

Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

May 6, 2020
Lofland 17 Picnic Palatka, FL - St. Johns River
I wanted to start this because when I was looking at buying a 1969 Lofland Picnic I could not find much information on it. The boat needed a lot of work when I did buy it. Anybody with knowledge of this particular boat please post the information on the thread. It will make it easer for the next guy.
The picture attached is the tiller that I had to rebuild. Don't know if is to factory specs, but it works good.
Could you provide measurements of various components of the tiller and rudder assembly? - looking to rebuild mine.

Mar 4, 2020
Welcome @Geosailor glad you found the thread and that we have more knowledge to go with these boats, I believe my Jib and tiller are both original, but I’m currently away sailing, once I’m back in a few weeks I’ll try to send some measurements for them. Unfortunately I can’t load the photos you posted due to poor cell service, do you currently have a jib?