Parting out H170 in AZ

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Do you think this “melting” process would work on a vertical surface?
I thought you had me stumped, turn boat over?

Here's what i came up with..
Cut off a sliver of luran from the scrap pile to make a crayon. Dip the crayon in a small cup of acetone and transfer the crayon to the gash. Repeat until both start to soften, be careful not to drip any.

It doesnt take long to blend out the gash with the gummy crayon.

I tested it out by adding some dock rash to a good looking sample and sticking a sample on a cabinet wall.

This is probably the best way to do it horizontally as well.
20191103_161650.jpg

20191103_162202.jpg
20191103_162207.jpg

Follow up in a few hours with 220, 320, 400, 1000, then start polishing

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Stepped off the cuddy right to dock like I was captain jack sparrow.
That’s the stuff. What a hoot when you nail it like that!!!:beer:

I’m pretty jealous. Started up my BBQ and was half way finished cooking and a hail storm just blew in!!! I had to dig my touque out to finish cooking!

Apr 16, 2017
You been getting some spectacularly intetesting weather as you transition to being the center of the polar vortices.:biggrin:

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
You been getting some spectacularly intetesting weather as you transition to being the center of the polar vortices.:biggrin:
No just typical Kingston weather. I believe that Lake Ontario (or any large body of water for that matter) has a massive effect on the “local” weather.
No doubt though that “Winter is Coming”!!
It’s kind of fun experiencing other cultures reaction to weather. I was fortunate enough to be in Spain for awhile. First COLD day all the locals had down jackets, hats, gloves the whole thing going on. I was walking around in shorts! Come summer the locals were out working and I was absolutely overcome with the heat!!

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2017
If I only knew where to buy Luran crayons??
Thats the crux, no. Ill have some for a while to mail.

I had a bunch of dock rash and ended up using marine tex. Still looks like the day i painted, (plus some new scars).

The issue is going to be color matching.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Thats the crux, no. Ill have some for a while to mail.

I had a bunch of dock rash and ended up using marine tex. Still looks like the day i painted, (plus some new scars).

The issue is going to be color matching.
I was just kidding about the crayon, hold on to your stash it was hard won!

I’ve learned that simple “repairs” on high gloss surfaces quite often result in making matters worse or lead to a major cosmetic repair. Sometimes if it ain’t really broke don’t fix it. I only have one long curved mark about a foot long that shows up if you look close. I’m not sure it bothers me enough to take the chance of fixing it. If I do I will consider trying a little acetone wipe with a Qtip to round off the sharpness of the scratch.

I used to have some Ding Stick (quicky repair for a windsurfer) but it’s long gone. Is this the Marinetex product you used?

23AA80D2-4456-457B-AB54-8F6916B88C0C.jpeg

Apr 16, 2017
That's it. Its a good product if you want white and you dont want to get a custom epoxy kit like total boat, or west system or us composite. Mix the two products then spread. It is harder to sand than luran so be sure to sand with a block. It is a different color white as well.

I covered hundreds of scratches and some pretty big gouges. I then primed and painted over it. I am not sure if it needs paint to protect from uv.

If you have the epoxy and fairing fillers, they work too, just spray paint over it. Id probably spraypaint over marine tex too.

Then of course there is the plexus, but im not sold that that is for filling.

Attached picture is 5 years (now) after the faring with marine tex, then roll on rustoleum topsides.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Then of course there is the plexus, but im not sold that that is for filling.
I would agree with this based on my minimal usage. I found it pretty tricky to work with. Starts to thicken almost immediately which sort of prompts you to work faster than you would like to get a nice neat “level” job and not easy to sand either.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
...I was reluctant to try it on the Luran but now that it’s @BobbyFunn and @JimInPB approved I will have a go during spring cleanup.
Thanks!
I recall saying that the manufacturer recommended soft scrub with bleach & that I had good luck using that on my Luran boats. There is no oxalic acid in that product that I know of.

I recall saying that Barkeeper's Friend had oxalic acid in it & that was why it was good at removing rust stains.

I do not recall trying oxalic acid on Luran. It may be good for that. It may not. I don't know. If Bobby said that it's good to go, then it's probably good. I haven't seen him miss the mark yet. His information has always been good.

I have not tried Barkeeper's Friend on Luran

I have used the old formula of Rust Aid (in the brown gallon jug) on gel coated fiberglass with good results. That had oxalic acid in it. The new formula, in the white jug that also bears a Goog-Off trademark, is labeled as also containing hydrofloric acid. This concerns me, as that particular acid is known to etch glass & eventually eat through it. I now need to retest all the areas where I used to use the old stuff in the brown jug. A friend of mine with a Gulfstar tells me that Rust Aid ate a hole in his stainless steel sink, so you need to be careful with it.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I recall saying that the manufacturer recommended soft scrub with bleach & that I had good luck using that on my Luran boats. There is no oxalic acid in that product that I know of.

I recall saying that Barkeeper's Friend had oxalic acid in it & that was why it was good at removing rust stains.

I do not recall trying oxalic acid on Luran. It may be good for that. It may not. I don't know. If Bobby said that it's good to go, then it's probably good. I haven't seen him miss the mark yet. His information has always been good.

I have not tried Barkeeper's Friend on Luran

I have used the old formula of Rust Aid (in the brown gallon jug) on gel coated fiberglass with good results. That had oxalic acid in it. The new formula, in the white jug that also bears a Goog-Off trademark, is labeled as also containing hydrofloric acid. This concerns me, as that particular acid is known to etch glass & eventually eat through it. I now need to retest all the areas where I used to use the old stuff in the brown jug. A friend of mine with a Gulfstar tells me that Rust Aid ate a hole in his stainless steel sink, so you need to be careful with it.
I apologize if I misquoted you, or implied that you said something you didn't.... based on our previous interactions I have a lot of respect for your opinions. Along with @BobbyFunn , the two of you have lot's of actual hands on experience dealing with Luran boats. If either of you say that something is good or not good I take it as gospel and act accordingly.

Apr 16, 2017
Just to sure, Barkeepers Friend will clean luran and not dissolve it, but the product will also scratch it. Treat it like compounding paste. "Rub extra gently on fiberglass, plastics..."

Check out this link for cleaning acrylic tubs

Clean tubs

Good:
Dishwashing detergent
• Lysol® Power Bathroom Cleaner
• CLR® Bath & Kitchen® Cleaner
• Formula 409® All-Purpose Cleaner
• Iron Out® Rust Stain Remover

Bad:
Solvents (turpentine, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, paint thinner, MEK, xylene, acetone, naphtha, etc.)
• Simple Green® All-Purpose Cleaner
• Pine-Sol® Original
• Scrubbing Bubbles® Cleaner
• Tilex® Bathroom Cleaner
• The Works® Tub & Shower Cleaner
• Lysol® with Hydrogen Peroxide Multi-Purpose Cleaner
• Windex® Vinegar Multi-Surface Cleaner

Lysol with hp multi cleaner is my go to ckeaner so intetesting i shouldnt use it on my boat.

Other sites say 50/50 dawn and vinegar, but windex with vinegar is frowned upon.

seriously google easy off fume free in the blue can. safe and amazing cleaner. Going to try it on my shower next cleaning day.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2017
Couple things..
Looks like its made in Canada, so you can get some too.

Keep it away from rats.

It pretty toxic to marine life so i guess dont wash the waste down the drain. Interesting because when i clean my oven with it i usually wipe the dirty washrag in a bucket of clean water, then pour the water down the drain. Not sure if its the chemical or the 12ph that is bad (drain cleaner). Have to just spot clean and wipe with paper towels if i use a lot of this outdoors. No hosing off.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The SDS says 4 hours of exposure killed the test rats.
Ah tracking now. I just read the chemical composition part of the SDS.
Do you think the rats were placed inside the oven during the testing? ;)

That was a excellent GOOD - BAD summary above. Thanks.