Parting out H170 in AZ

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Yeh Baby! Awesome - Get out of the garage and enjoy the “fresh” air! You must have permanent marks in your face from the breathing protection.

Fair winds!:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
Sadly, I only wore the paint respirator for when I was standing next to the benches painting them. I anticipated the spray would cover me. I got blasted once in the face when I aimed for the curvy section by the starboard jib cam. Right in my face...with no glasses. Id have to go buy new one if I had them on. I didn't wear my safely glasses while painting because didn't want to ruin them :cool:, but wore them all the time while in the garage. While disk sanding with 220 i should have had a suit, gloves, mask and glasses, but it was just me in shorts and glasses.

I'm kinda done with this. I feel like gump, forest gump, after running across america the last time. "I'm pretty tired. Think I'll go home now." I don't see the glory in building a boat anymore. Don't have the patience for sanding.

Hey, I've got about 20lbs of Luran on the floor what say we open a new thread to do some exciting science on it?:)

Anybody need a patch?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Hey, I've got about 20lbs of Luran on the floor what say we open a new thread to do some exciting science on it?:)
How about top 10 ways to ruin Luran?
I am somewhat curious about what exposure to traditional FRP stuff like acetone etc actually does to it.
Maybe we could take a run at with this!

Seriously; enjoy some good sailing time, you have a very sturdy craft now!

Apr 16, 2017
Got a pro tip here. Discovered this during clean up.

If you score luran with a box cutter, it will snap on line when folded, just like drywall and hardboard.

I saved the good part of the cuddy cabin deck for spare parts, but the rest will be for science.:stir:

Attachments

Apr 16, 2017
Fantastic day out with son. Harmony is restored. Saw a pod of 4 dolphins in middle of bay.

The boat floats evenly side-to-side and front-to-back. Doesnt appear to sit any lower so the extra wieght must be negligible. Still just as tippy as before.
20191027_112207.jpg

Now it gets abused by the great outdoors and we see if "Take II" is any better.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Congratulations! Well deserved day on the water after all of the research and work that you put in to her. :clap::dancing::clap::dancing::beer::beer:

Apr 16, 2017
I was unsure how to assemble the Harken mainsheet swivel back together so looked up the manual. It said to tighten the mounting screws until the swivel binds, then back it out. It did not say how much so I did about a 1/4 turn each of the four screws.

While sailing today the swivel kept auto centering. Is that normal? I'm used to the tightened down version where I can feel the bearings and the swivel stays where it was left last. Got used to the new version pretty quick though.

Apr 16, 2017
How about top 10 ways to ruin Luran?
I am somewhat curious about what exposure to traditional FRP stuff like acetone etc actually does to it.
Maybe we could take a run at with this!
Did a couple experiments this afternoon. With informative results.

i sanded a section of scrap with 80g, 120g, then 220g, then snapped them into 4 sections.

Did 4 tests:
1. Can luran be vapor polished. Probably.
2. Is Acetone bad for luran. EXTREMELY BAD
3. Are Mineral Spirit dangerous? Nope.
4. Does PVC Cement bond Luran? Nope, but the acetone in the primer and cement turn the luran to wet paint.

I "cold" vapor polished a section for about 20 minutes. I did not leave it in the polishing container long enough. The luran was resting horizontally and often that does not help. The Luran test sample surface was much softer and scratched like wet paint even with just the acetone vapor. The section still looked exactly the same as the the non treated section and 220 grit lines were still visible.

I poured several drops of acetone on a test section and let it evaporate off. The goo that remained was like semi dried latex paint. In theory the surface should harded after the acetone fully goes away. The surface was raised a little so it probably would need to be sanded afterwards. I put a couple more drops on and started stirring the surface, the acetone turned the plastic to paint. A full thickness of luran would probably completly dissolve in acetone in less than 10 minutes.

Mineral spirits left on the surface evaporated off with no results.

I had some left over pvc cement from a project of getting rid of a water softener. Both the primer and the cement are in an acetone solution. As soon as the primer went down the luran turned to mush. The two pieces i glued together came right apart.

Acetone is nasty stuff for luran. Even the fumes will ruin the surface.

How can thus be useful? Will acetone level a deep scratch?

Attachments

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Of course your doing all of this wearing state of the art safety gear right??? ;)

I would be interested if Oxacilic (sp?) does any harm. It’s used to remove the brown coloured staining that happens to FRP based boats. When I pulled our 216 there was a little staining but I’m nervous about using much of anything on it except soap and water.

Apr 16, 2017
You got it. I have Bar Keepers Friend. Will let that set all night on a sample.

Also have some oven cleaner

Apr 16, 2017
You actually can use acetone to get rid of scratches. Its not a great system but it sort of works.

I started with a smooth sample and cut a few gouges with a screwdriver.

I then poured acetone over the scratches and started rubbing the chemical melt around with a finger (with gloves). The acetone flashes off quickly, so you need to add a little more if the melt start getting gummy. Pour a little more acetone and try to level it before it gums up again

After a couple hours the hardness of the luran returns and it can be sanded. I lightly sanded the luran with 220 grit and within a minute the surface was nearly perfect. There is some discoloration that wont go away. The attached pictures have timestamps.

The gouges were pretty deep and would have required some 80g, 120g prep and there would be a dip in the luran.

Attachments

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
You actually can use acetone to get rid of scratches. Its not a great system but it sort of works.

I started with a smooth sample and cut a few gouges with a screwdriver.

I then poured acetone over the scratches and started rubbing the chemical melt around with a finger (with gloves). The acetone flashes off quickly, so you need to add a little more if the melt start getting gummy. Pour a little more acetone and try to level it before it gums up again

After a couple hours the hardness of the luran returns and it can be sanded. I lightly sanded the luran with 220 grit and within a minute the surface was nearly perfect. There is some discoloration that wont go away. The attached pictures have timestamps.

The gouges were pretty deep and would have required some 80g, 120g prep and there would be a dip in the luran.
That’s interesting! I have a few long rips of what I assume is dock rash from PO that I’ve been debating what to do with, not structural but not pretty either. I fixed one deeper spot that was more of a puncture wound with Plexus but it’s weird to work with due to its volume change from liquid to solid. That spot is also right in the blue water line so was hard to re-color without making a big mess.

Do you think this “melting” process would work on a vertical surface?

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Of course your doing all of this wearing state of the art safety gear right??? ;)

I would be interested if Oxacilic (sp?) does any harm. It’s used to remove the brown coloured staining that happens to FRP based boats. When I pulled our 216 there was a little staining but I’m nervous about using much of anything on it except soap and water.
The manufacturer recommends soft scrub with bleach for removing tough stains from the Luran. I have had pretty good luck with that.

Aug 22, 2017
You got it. I have Bar Keepers Friend. Will let that set all night on a sample.

Also have some oven cleaner
Bar keeper's Friend has oxalic acid in it. That it what helps it to remove rust stains so well.

Aug 22, 2017
That’s interesting! I have a few long rips of what I assume is dock rash from PO that I’ve been debating what to do with, not structural but not pretty either. I fixed one deeper spot that was more of a puncture wound with Plexus but it’s weird to work with due to its volume change from liquid to solid. That spot is also right in the blue water line so was hard to re-color without making a big mess.

Do you think this “melting” process would work on a vertical surface?
If the blemish is on the water line, then bootstripe tape may be your easy solution.

Apr 16, 2017
Bar keeper's Friend has oxalic acid in it. That it what helps it to remove rust stains so well.
Bar keepers friend will clean luran luran and the sample i had did not change. It is abbrasive so rubbing will dull the surface. I have used it before to polish when soft scrub just cleans. Use lots of water.

Using oxcilic acid is safe. Feldspar crystals in barkeepers friend are not.

Oven cleaner is amazing on luran. I sampled the bottom of the luran (side facibg foam) under the cuddy cabin. It cleaned the surface to a polish and was so thorough that i can see the stress fractures from warping.

Both samples had 1/4 of surface covered overnight. There was no difference between overnight and exposure from nirmal cleaning.

Its hard to get good pictures, but the oven cleaner restores the underside of luran to like new.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
If the blemish is on the water line, then bootstripe tape may be your easy solution.
The “bruise” I fixed was about the size of a nickel but pretty deep. It was the only thing that gave me any pause when I was buying the boat. The Plexus seems to have fixed the area and I thought of tape but that either leads to replacing the entire stripe or getting a good colour match for the little spot. I just coloured it with a marker and it looked OK but it has now faded. OH well I don’t see it when I’m sailing!! ;)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Using oxcilic acid is safe
That’s good news. I normally have our power boat on slings at our wetslip so the hull doesn’t sit idle in the water for any extended time. However due to the records high water levels in Lake Ontario in 2017 and again this year I’ve had to move the boat to a marina for the season. The only thing that I tried to get the resulting “tea stain” off was Oxalic acid. I can’t recall the product name but it was gel like so it stayed put until I rinsed it off. Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeazy as my grandson says!! I was reluctant to try it on the Luran but now that it’s @BobbyFunn and @JimInPB approved I will have a go during spring cleanup.
Thanks!

Apr 16, 2017
Took the 170 out this afternoon. The deck, cuddy, and benches look great. It was dirty from dust, sand, and birds but is holding up well. Next week I'll get the blue pads back on.

It was a great run. The wind was about 13 mph with gusts to 20. I almost bailed. I sailed off the dock and across the bay under reefed main alone. About halfway into the sail as the wind dropped to about 10 mph the jib was unfurled. Im still buzzing on that high. The wake was behind the rudder for several moments and the rudder sang to me the whole way back. The boat swapped between being a plow and floating on air.

The wind was blowing into the club so today was my first sail downwind to the docks. I chickened out on the first pass in and then tacked back out alittle. I then went beast mode berserker and sailed full speed along the pilings and then swung a full uturn gybe. I bled off the speed and gently tacked to irons next to the dock. Everyone nervous about thier trimarans in the way had nothing to worry about.:beer: Stepped off the cuddy right to dock like I was captain jack sparrow.