New Forums: Questions, Suggestions, Comments

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Logged in on one computer. One Browser open with two pages/tabs devoted to SBO, one with new posts the other with AABO. Was able to do that in the old site, apparently not so with the new?
That's definitely not normal, I do it all day times 10. Opening a new tab should pick up the login and session cookies which are set in the browser. It shouldn't make any difference how many tabs or pages are open. I can't imagine what would cause that. It might be interesting to check the cookies set for the domain in each browser tab.

What OS and browser are you using? (I apologize if you already told me that.)

this is too much of a brain twister for the hour but I'll PM you tomorrow.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
That's definitely not normal, I do it all day times 10. Opening a new tab should pick up the login and session cookies which are set in the browser. It shouldn't make any difference how many tabs or pages are open. I can't imagine what would cause that. It might be interesting to check the cookies set for the domain in each browser tab.

What OS and browser are you using? (I apologize if you already told me that.)

this is too much of a brain twister for the hour but I'll PM you tomorrow.
OS is WIN 10, browser is MS Edge

Well, deleted the AABO url out of the settings page (for startup of url's) and added a new one and retyped the url into it. closed the browser and restarted it and was able to access the page/tab, shows me logged in to it while I have the what's new open on another page/tab. Does not give me the message about being logged in already as i described previously. So, looks like it's working. Strange.

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
@Phil Herring - The android screen shot without the "mark as read" button for new posts that someone else provided above is the same as what I am seeing.

Here is another potential issue. My normal usage is to open the site, hit "New Posts", go through the list of new posts, clicking a lot of "mark as read" buttons, and skipping the threads I want to read. Then I hit "new posts" again, and am provided with a much shorter list of threads (the ones I did NOT mark as "read"). Then I read these threads.

Today I used that method, and after marking most of the threads as "read", I hit "new posts", and it gave me the entire list again, including the ones I had "marked as read". Interestingly, the threads that were presented again (incorrectly) had no "mark as read" button. This is on WIndows 10 with a Chrome browser. In case in matters, the way I get to "New Posts" is from the left side menu - I go to "What's new", click on the down arrow to trigger the pop-up, and select "New Posts".

(If there is a better way to get to new posts, I would be glad to know of it - I miss the dedicated button near the top of the page.)

Edit: I just tried this again (What's new, trigger the popup, select "new posts"), and it looks like the list I am getting is not truly "new posts" (which I would define as all posts that have occurred since I last went though the routine described above). Instead I am getting a list of threads that runs to 15 pages, and covers posts back to August 9th. If this is a list of what would be considered "recent activity", has a pointer become mis-set?

Last edited:

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
@SFS - in the upper right corner of the New Posts screen there is a "filter" link. Open that and check unread threads, then click Filter at the bottom. That will drop threads you have read from list.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
...shows me logged in to it while I have the what's new open on another page/tab. Does not give me the message about being logged in already as i described previously. So, looks like it's working. Strange.
Yeah, that's how it should work. Why it took so long to get there I don't know, but I'm glad it's running correctly for you!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
@SFS - in the upper right corner of the New Posts screen there is a "filter" link. Open that and check unread threads, then click Filter at the bottom. That will drop threads you have read from list.
That filter has been set all along. I guess I will wade through the 15 pages of threads, and mark each one as read, and see what happens.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
@SFS if that filter is set, posts you've viewed or checked as read should drop off the list.
This latest time (just in the past 5 minutes) it worked as it used to. I was given 3 pages of unread new posts, I went through and marked all but two (this thread and the new one about the mark as read issue), and when I asked for new posts again I got the two I had not marked (plus two more REALLY new posts). I will continue doing it this way, and if weirdness results, I will let you know. I note for the record that I got to "New posts" a different way than I usually do, I wonder if that made a difference.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
@SFS the new posts/activity area is a little weird because there are two different views, New Posts and
Recent Activity. Next time you're in there check the urls: one is /whats-new/ and the other is /whats-new/posts/. It could be that one works better for you than the other.

Anyway, glad it's working in this 5 minute period! :)

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Have noted that the filters I have set on the recent activity tab are not staying set. I set it up to show unread threads and check the box for it to be saved as a default. But, when I close the site (tab) and return (open a new tab on the browser and return to the site), the Unread filter is not present. My url for opening the site takes me first to the What's New page, from there, I click the "view more" at the bottom and it takes me to the recent activity page. This is on the WIN 10, MS Edge browser. Any ideas?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I've noticed that the filter tag isn't always showing in the upper left, but when I open the filters list the unread filter is selected. I'll double-check the code there.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
I've noticed that the filter tag isn't always showing in the upper left, but when I open the filters list the unread filter is selected. I'll double-check the code there.
In my case, above, all the check boxes are cleared when I come back in to the site, none checked. This is recent as I had noted a few days ago that the filter box upper left was showing "Unread".

More info: If I go in through the What's new tab and then through the view more (at the bottom), the filters disappear. OTOH if I go in through the What's new tab and then click on the Recent Activity tab (at the top), the filters are there. This is probably why it appears as though this is a recent phenomenon - I think it just depended on how I got to recent activity.

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
@SFS the new posts/activity area is a little weird because there are two different views, New Posts and
Recent Activity. Next time you're in there check the urls: one is /whats-new/ and the other is /whats-new/posts/. It could be that one works better for you than the other.

Anyway, glad it's working in this 5 minute period! :)
@Phil Herring - Forgot to do the above when I checked new posts today, but observed the following, which is different (a hybrid?) behavior from what I have described previously, in case it helps you in some way.
1) On the left side of the page, I clicked on the arrow beside "Forums" to trigger the popup menu.
2) I selected "New Posts" - what was returned ran to 15 pages of threads, which is odd, as I looked at posts yesterday afternoon. I resigned myself to lots of mouse clicks.
3) Beginning on page 1 of 15, for the threads I was uninterested in, I selected "Mark as Read". (BTW, I really like the confirmation I get at the top of the screen every time I use this button.)
4) At the end of page 1, down at the bottom, I select "2" to go to the next page, and at the top I start using "Mark as Read".
5) About halfway down page 2, the threads no longer have a "Mark as Read" option, and the posts that cannot be so marked are from around the time yesterday that I last checked for new posts. "Cool", I think to myself, "that's new to me, but clearly makes sense."
6) So I go back to the left side of the page, trigger the same popup menu under "Forums", and ask for "New Posts". It returns a list of just 4 threads, the ones I was interested in reading, and for which I had purposefully NOT used "Mark as Read".

Although I don't know why it started with a list of 15 pages of threads it thought contained "New Posts", I was glad to see that the net result is that it worked the same as the old system.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
New potential issue: Pictures that are posted in thumbnail size do not enlarge when clicked on.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
@Phil Herring - I'm on a Windows 10 PC running Chrome, and the picture that would not enlarge is in post #2504 of the Boat Babe thread.

Cue the comments from the peanut gallery. I'll go pour a bourbon Scotch (I'm in Edinburgh).

Last edited:

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
(I'm in Edinburgh).
Cool!

The image in post #2504 appears to be the full-size image and not a thumbnail. @Mike4116 might remember how he uploaded it, but I would assume problems like that what you're describing would come an image converted from the old forum to the new.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
In my case, above, all the check boxes are cleared when I come back in to the site, none checked. This is recent as I had noted a few days ago that the filter box upper left was showing "Unread".

More info: If I go in through the What's new tab and then through the view more (at the bottom), the filters disappear. OTOH if I go in through the What's new tab and then click on the Recent Activity tab (at the top), the filters are there. This is probably why it appears as though this is a recent phenomenon - I think it just depended on how I got to recent activity.
@Phil Herring -
Phil: Don't think I saw any reply on this. Is this expected behavior or something not expected?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Sorry about that JR, I was away for the weekend and haven't had a chance to investigate that yet. Will do so today.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Sorry about that JR, I was away for the weekend and haven't had a chance to investigate that yet. Will do so today.
No problem. I thought perhaps you had not seen my "More Info" portion and had already reviewed/dealt with the initial post via another thread.