New Forums: Questions, Suggestions, Comments

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
@JRacer - also check your Pfrefercnes (under your name in the upper right part of the screen). Not sure if it will help but worth a try: make sure Push Notifications are enabled there and scroll down for what you want them to do.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
@Phil Herring The cutoff seems to be around a width of 883 pixels. Take a desktop window and make it bigger than that and the Mark as Read shows. Shrink the window down narrower than that and it disappears.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
The cutoff seems to be around a width of 883 pixels. Take a desktop window and make it bigger than that and the Mark as Read shows. Shrink the window down narrower than that and it disappears.
Yes, that's the cutoff between desktop and tablet. The trick is figuring out why that button will not appear in the tablet or phone view and I haven't found any code around the button to do that. Yet! :)

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Maybe look at the top of the code where mostly everything size-wise is defined. I believe window sizing is also defined in that location.

added: the Mark as Read disappears when the column with Replies: xxx Edit Views goes off screen. It looks like it is part of that frame.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Couldn't find the "Quick Link" button. I used it to jump between the All...forum and Hunters forum.

Ken Y

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Phil,
Prior to today I had a box appear in the Recent Activity section showing me the UnRead filter was set. Today that box does not show but Unread filter but does show for other filters.
Was this a change? I like seeing what filters are applied at the top of the thread list.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Phil,
Prior to today I had a box appear in the Recent Activity section showing me the UnRead filter was set. Today that box does not show but Unread filter but does show for other filters.
Was this a change? I like seeing what filters are applied at the top of the thread list.
Me too. It was handy having the filter box shown there so I could quickly clear it if I wanted to see a thread I read recently again.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Me too. It was handy having the filter box shown there so I could quickly clear it if I wanted to see a thread I read recently again.
Oops. :redface: That's back now.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
How come it keeps asking me if I want to authorize push notifications. I've had that come up several times and each time I approve it.
@JRacer - Xenforo confirmed that you have to enable push notifications if you are logged out and login again. So maybe what we need to look at is why you have to login so often. There is an option to stay logged in, on the login screen. If you're using that you are still being logged out let me know.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
@JRacer - Xenforo confirmed that you have to enable push notifications if you are logged out and login again. So maybe what we need to look at is why you have to login so often. There is an option to stay logged in, on the login screen. If you're using that you are still being logged out let me know.
Phil:

I am not having to supply login credentials. When I open the site it is showing my user name in the upper right, like normal. I do access the site from two different computers (work & home) but the process is the same. Open the site - no login needed. A couple things that may be relevant: On my work computer, I have a frequently used link to open a page for SBO, it takes me here: Owner resources, parts, accessories, boats for sale, and more. which displays the home page (old format?), from there I click on the forums tab and then new posts, that takes me to the "what's new" page (new format). On the machine at home, I have the browser set to open several sites one of which is the SBO New Posts page and the other is the Beneteau forum on the SBO site. I don't think I have changed those site addresses since your update but they open OK and take me where I expect to go. And, neither of those pages calls for credentials.

Could it be that having two browser pages open simultaneously to SBO, different forums, is the culprit causing the prompting for the authority for push notifications?

It has never been an issue before the update, I always had two forums open on separate browser pages, with both logged in.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
You might have an old cookie, or something in your cache. Try deleting all your SBO cookies and clear out your cache. Maybe also clear out your browser history. I am sure you already thought of that or did that, but just in case...

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
@JRacer , that's interesting! I've got to read it again when my brain is not mush, but cookies are the likely culprit. However, I would definitely update your bookmarks to the current urls. The old ones work but the process of getting you from the old url to the new one could be causing a cookie or session-related problem like this.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
@JRacer - also check your Pfrefercnes (under your name in the upper right part of the screen). Not sure if it will help but worth a try: make sure Push Notifications are enabled there and scroll down for what you want them to do.
Checked that, all looks OK.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
@JRacer , that's interesting! I've got to read it again when my brain is not mush, but cookies are the likely culprit. However, I would definitely update your bookmarks to the current urls. The old ones work but the process of getting you from the old url to the new one could be causing a cookie or session-related problem like this.
Just cleared history and cookies on this browser (work). Will see if that changes anything. Will do the same on the box at home and update its go to URL's. Will keep you posted.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
OK, on the box at home. I cleared everything, deleted the old URL's and replaced with the new ones. reopened the browser and both the "new posts" page and the "Ask a beneteau owner" pages loaded up. Accessed the new posts page and it required a login then asked if Ok for the push notification. All as expected. then i accessed the AABO page and it, of course was not logged in. Clicked on the login icon and it told me "the user is already logged in, click here to return to the forums page". So, apparently, with the update, i can no longer have two forums open and logged in simultaneously. is that expected/desired behavior? technical reason for forcing that limitation?

Last edited:

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Clicked on the login icon and it told me "the user is already logged in, click here to return to the forums page". So, apparently, with the update, i can no longer have two forums open and logged in simultaneously. is that expected/desired behavior? technical reason for forcing that limitation?
Okay, it sounds like you've logged in and have two tabs open to different forums? Or are you logged in from two different networks, with one forum open on each?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Okay, it sounds like you've logged in and have two tabs open to different forums? Or are you logged in from two different networks, with one forum open on each?
Logged in on one computer. One Browser open with two pages/tabs devoted to SBO, one with new posts the other with AABO. Was able to do that in the old site, apparently not so with the new?