New Forums: Questions, Suggestions, Comments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Just noticed this weird little thing, at least on iOS Safari - It looks like the country flags over avatars only show up after you preview a profile. For example, open a thread and look at the avatars for all the posters - they’re all just the avatars of the users. Then view the profile preview for any user (click their name in iOS; maybe hover over it on desktop?). After that, all of the users on that page have country flags overlaying their avatars.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
Using safari on a iPad. I go to the new posts link. The “mark as read” button is extremely hard to touch. It’s about a 50/50 chance that I hit it or launch into the thread. Any chance this can be made easier to touch?

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Using safari on a iPad. I go to the new posts link. The “mark as read” button is extremely hard to touch. It’s about a 50/50 chance that I hit it or launch into the thread. Any chance this can be made easier to touch?
I agree it is hit and miss with big fingers and when the iPad is positioned portrait but it gets easier when turned to landscape.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
I agree it is hit and miss with big fingers and when the iPad is positioned portrait but it gets easier when turned to landscape.
I think it’s more than fat fingers. I use landscape 100% of the time on this device (iPad). I have been concentrating on hitting the button only because I don’t like wasting time going to a post I have no interest in.

I have noticed the “mark as read” will blink or highlight and then it takes me to the post. I think only the text is the link and not the entire button. If the entire button cannot be activated, maybe the mark as read could be moved to the extreme right or left so it is not encompassed by the link to the thread.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I'm mostly offline today but I'll take a look at that. I think we can make the link larger and move it away from other elements.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Just noticed this weird little thing, at least on iOS Safari - It looks like the country flags over avatars only show up after you preview a profile. For example, open a thread and look at the avatars for all the posters - they’re all just the avatars of the users. Then view the profile preview for any user (click their name in iOS; maybe hover over it on desktop?). After that, all of the users on that page have country flags overlaying their avatars.

I am so sorry @Davidasailor26, I must have missed this when you posted it! Same thing happens on my phone and it's super weird. I'll take a look at the code but I suspect it's going to be too risky for me to mess with it. I'll definitely see what the author has to say about it.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
and then 13.x.1 will come along to replace the current 13.x and that'll fix everything.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Funny thing! I think it shows where you post from. I see that New Hampshire is now part of France or @Will Gilmore is on vacation.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Yeah, either that or someone hacked into his account from Croatia. :liar:

I need to turn that off until we figure out how to stop it from following people all over the planet. Thanks for the reminder, Ward!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Funny thing! I think it shows where you post from. I see that New Hampshire is now part of France or @Will Gilmore is on vacation.
Yes, we are flying the French flag, for a few days, then we will be flying the Belgium flag and the Netherlands flag for a few days. The unfortunate part is that those flags are not courtesy flags affixed to a sailboat. Just the virtual S/V SBO.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Phil.

It has been awhile since anyone made comment to this post so here is a suggestion and please take it as that, a suggestion.

There are several ways to ensure that a particular thread does not pop up in my Unread Recent Activity. I can totally ignore specific forums via >Account > Preferences > Ignoring, which I do but only for very few. I can also open a post then click on the Ignore Thread button and then click on the Recent Forum Activity to bringing me back to my Unread Recent Posts. But that is a 3 step process. Not onerous but they do add up over time given the volume of new threads in a day. Of course if I just want to ignore a Post once then I can click on the Mark as Read button. The thread remains for future comments. So what I suggest is to add a button possibly to the right of the "Mark as Read" button that says "Ignore Thread". Often if the Thread title is sufficiently informative, I can immediately tell that it is of no interest to me at this time.

I am not sure if there is enough room for an additional button. There seems to be at least on a laptop/desktop. Maybe not so much on smaller devices.

Stay safe.

Len

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Hi Len! That's a good suggestion. It's a tricky modification because not all of the data needed to power it is available on that template. I'll put it on the list but it may be Q1 before I can get to it, given the amount of time it might take.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Ill agree to cookies. Peanut butter ones are the best.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
why do we have to agree to cookies on sailboatowners
SBO is a very safe site. I actually have a cookie blocker on my browser, but I whitelist SBO. Cookies are used to remember what you did last and where you were. Without them you may end up seeing the same post as new that your already read. But you shouldn't worry about cookies here on SBO.

Now that you mentioned cookies, I want some Baskin Robins Cookies and Cream.

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern
SBO is a very safe site. I actually have a cookie blocker on my browser, but I whitelist SBO. Cookies are used to remember what you did last and where you were. Without them you may end up seeing the same post as new that your already read. But you shouldn't worry about cookies here on SBO.

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern
i understand what you are saying but why are we required to accept them to use the site.