giving up the dream

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
You are still relatively young and grandkids grow up quickly so hang in there if you can for a few years and continue your lake sailing. When life deals out lemons, than make lemonade. In light of the insanity in the world today, be thankful you have them to enjoy, then turn those grandkids into sailors!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
We too talked about the future, it is good to have goals to work toward. I thought big boat and sailing she thought condo on beach and smaller boat. Condo on beach an boat big enough to cruise on sounds great to me. She however didn't feel the Pogo 30 appeal so that is probably out...

Nov 11, 2016
CAL 2 34 Squalicum Harbor
You two, (kermie and John) are a riot!!

John if you're seriously thinking about Squalicum Harbor call the Port office and get on the waiting list 'cuz it's a long one. If you're willing to do a sublet and get moved around a bit then you can get right in. The marina is well cared for and the Port office guys are great! Happy to help get you in if you want to move her up here.

And yes it's an easy untie and go to anywhere in the San Juan's at a moment's notice.......who could ask for more??? Let me know if you're "planning" an adventure this way :waycool:

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Have we all overlooked the fact that the OP is married to a female? To change their mind is just part of their DNA.
I live my life with the philosophy that the best plan is a flexible plan. Something I forgot when our boat sprung a leak on our honeymoon after a year of planning. Cindy was fine with what ever we could do and made the best of it while I was still upset about the boat problems.
I have a dream of moving to the Keenewa pennisula in the UP where they average 300 inches of snow a year. Cindy doesn't share that dream and I get that. She means more to me than all the snow in the world. Sometimes I still dream about it but would be lost without my Bestie, so I am still in southern IN and will be as long as she will have me.
Hang in there. Time will show you the way.

Sam

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Have we all overlooked the fact that the OP is married to a female? To change their mind is just part of their DNA.
I live my life with the philosophy that the best plan is a flexible plan. Something I forgot when our boat sprung a leak on our honeymoon after a year of planning. Cindy was fine with what ever we could do and made the best of it while I was still upset about the boat problems.
I have a dream of moving to the Keenewa pennisula in the UP where they average 300 inches of snow a year. Cindy doesn't share that dream and I get. She means more to me than all the snow in the world. Sometimes I still dream about it but would be lost without my Bestie, so I am still in southern IN and will be as long as she will have me.
Hang in there. Time will show you the way.

Sam
Suckup.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Life seldom allows us to take the exact path we planned.

While I understand the OP's discouragement, I would be looking for ways to compromise and make the most of the situation.

My wife wants to retire to Maui...but almost impossible to own a (large) boat there.

I could probably settle for a trailerable boat to live in paradise

But I am also not too sure my wife will really want to be that for from our boys on the mainland, and if we are blessed with grandkids down the road, all bets are off.

And as someone else mentioned, my wife also has MS, and while the progression of her disease has been very slow, who knows what our situation will be in 10 or 20 years?
Hell, I could keel over with a heart attack or die in a firery car crash on my way to work.

Life is short...

... buy a bigger boat (that is what I keep telling my wife!).

Greg

Jul 28, 2012
Hunter 410 San Blas,Mexico
My wife and I combine our love of life aboard with our love of life on the hard. Six months on the Baja and west coast of Mexico and six in Edmonton, Canada gives us the pleasures of both life styles. Plus, being Canadians we maintain the benefit of universal health care that is becoming a more relevant factor as we're in our 70s. At 53+ degrees north, winters can be a bit harsh and in the tropics summer heat can be sweltering. Our plan? Avoid both. We have the social benefits of maintaining our long term friendships and family relationships in Canada while meeting so many wonderful Mexicans and cruising people from around the world. As a side benefit, we get to visit people and places in the US as we drive north to south. This also means that we have a vehicle to travel Mexico visiting areas inland. Our life is one continual holiday. On this early fall day with the possiblity of snow in the forecast, we approach our 5,000 km trip south with youthful excitement. Viviendos el sueño. Bueno suerte.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I have a dream of moving to the Keenewa pennisula in the UP where they average 300 inches of snow a year. Cindy doesn't share that dream and I get that. She means more to me than all the snow in the world. Sometimes I still dream about it but would be lost without my Bestie, so I am still in southern IN and will be as long as she will have me.
Grew up there. For your planning purposes. Hard to go wrong with Houghton/Hancock.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That looks like a place for a person who loves being indoors for long stretches of time during the winter. Not for the faint of heart. Where men grow beards.

Feb 6, 2013
Irwin 41 Ketch Ingleside on the Bay
Leave the wife and cruise alone. Pick up a crew comprised of hot women and live life. Never give up a dream for anyone.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Grew up there. For your planning purposes. Hard to go wrong with Houghton/Hancock.

Oh I know, we got engaged skiing in the Porkies then headed to the Keenewa. Fell in love with the Houghton Hancock area. Cant wait to go back!!!

That looks like a place for a person who loves being indoors for long stretches of time during the winter. Not for the faint of heart. Where men grow beards.
For a snow lover like myself it was true heaven on earth! Was really neat to see the snow depth climb as we drove out the pennisula. They are a prime location for the lake effect. Ever heard of choke snow? It happens there about once a season or more in a good year!

Sam, waiting on the first flakes to fall

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
You crack me up Frog!!! Can't wait to buy you a beverage for all the laughs!

Sam
“Rowlf: Evenin'...you look like you could use a drink
Kermit: Yeah, I'd like a grasshopper please
Rowlf: Hey, can we have a grasshopper for the frog?”

From “The Muppet Movie”

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Okay, as a former Michigander
Hey give him a break. He said he is from southern Indiana... Who really knows how it is spelled up in the UP. Not many people can even pronounce some of the names. Or at the least pronounce them the same way twice.

My wife, who grew up near Kalamazoo, tried to give me an introduction to the UP when we first got married.
After several failed attempts I finally said:
images.jpg
and moved forward smiling and shaking my head.