giving up the dream

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 37.5 37.5 Norfolk
All I have to contribute is this, life's to short so live your dreams. I've heard that your life passes before your eyes when you move on to the next existence. If that's the case, I intend it to be a long lasting flame rather than a flash due to all the experiences I've had. Living my dreams is one of those. If others (i.e. significant other) decides to put the kibosh on your dreams, especially when they had been agreed upon in the past, how sincere can that person really be. Sounds pretty selfish to me.

KCofKC

Sep 6, 2010
Catalina 28TR MKI 317 Smithville
Richard, sorry your plan hit a snag I know your pain. Like was already mentioned about 20% that talk actually do. I am sure she was all in until she saw that little child, it's a women thing, I get it. Like some one above said just do it in shorter steps. You may not be able to sail around the world but maybe something like the Great Loop, fly her home once a month or what ever, get done what you can and develop a plan B that can work for both of you. We don't know enough about your individual circumstance that we can give you the perfect plan and in fact there may not be a perfect plan, but do your best to develop a B plan that works for both of you. You don't most likely have to give it all up, just maybe a bit different than your ideal. Also know that more than a majority that do it find it's not for them either. So maybe you get a couple of years in and decide that fulfills your dream. In the end which is more important the dream or the wife? Only you know for sure. I hope you find a plan that fulfill both your dreams. Good Luck and keep us posted, will keep a positive thought in mind for you both! Good Luck!

Oct 4, 2008
Hunter 36 Mulberry Cove Marina
Go SOLO. Get a copy of the book “Too Old Not To Go” by CAPT Fred Braman. You can have the best of both worlds and your Dream.
Too Old Not to Go - Voyage of Rhombus, a Single-hander's Tale!

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Lost my fiance with the purchase of my sailboat 20 years ago, wasn't a good fit anyways (girlfriend, boat has been perfect) ...same boat for 20 years, found true love (wife not boat), kid off to college, still not sailing the world, the only way we saw Greece was when we chartered. Our sailboat hasn't left New England waters.... Answer: We improvise, adapt, and overcome. As General Gordon Sullivan told me years ago, 'Hope is not a method' Good luck! We all feel your struggle.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
2014 thread, pretty sure this OP is long moved on. We have adjusted our plans, sure I'd love the idea of a freedom of sailing, but after 25 years of marriage I'm more excited to just have a life together.

I've got the time in now for my Inland waters six pack, so that is my baby goal next year. My wife loves the idea of have a small business for small day charters on the coast so I'll get the Inland now and look to move my 310 to the gulf to get near shore time in for offshore license.

She is a marketing director so all about the buzz and branding, maybe it doesn't work out perfectly but we are marching forward together.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
As I've been reading this thread, I keep thinking the subject line "giving up the dream" would be better written as "redefining the dream"....

dj

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
Dougm,
Sorry to hear about the loss of your wife. I know I would be lost without my little lady and we still have lots of items on our bucket list.
Technically, I think I was born a Yooper, kidnapped at birth, and forced to grow up a Hoosier. Tbat is the only explanation I can come up with.
View attachment 141816

My little lady strolling the streets of Houghton MI in the snow.

Sam
I live and sail here..... Well, sail 3 months or so out of the year.