Halyard knots

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
I've been using a Buntline hitch for my halyards. Would there be an advantage to go to a halyard hitch. I have stayset x lines.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The halyard knot is simply neater and more compact.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
it looks like to me that the halyard hitch would be easier to get loose as in removing it

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
it looks like to me that the halyard hitch would be easier to get loose as in removing it
I can tell you from multiple experiences that once you pull a halyard knot tight, the only way to get it off is to cut it. The only way. It will NEVER come loose. . That role is what it's designed to do. That's why they call it the halyard knot.

Jan 6, 2010
MM,

I simply use a Bowline pal.

Yea, it's a bit bigger & my not fit as well on different model boats but, if tied correctly will NEVER fail you.
As for breaking it loose,......quite quick-n-easy. The fewer knots to remember, the fewer will be tied wrong.

CR

Nov 8, 2010
MM,

I simply use a Bowline pal.
Yea, it's a bit bigger & my not fit as well on different model boats but, if tied correctly will NEVER fail you.
Wrong Ron, never. Maybe you're talking about a different thing. Never use a bowline to tie a halyard to a shackle.The bowline has a long-known and documented history of loosening when shaken off-tension. I would never personally trust a bowline in a place where I could not see the knot.

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Last edited:
Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I started using the halyard hitch when I was looking for a compact knot. Slight drift but what are the pros and cons of tying the halyard to a shackle vs directly to the headboard of the main sail?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I started using the halyard hitch when I was looking for a compact knot. Slight drift but what are the pros and cons of tying the halyard to a shackle vs directly to the headboard of the main sail?
Using the knot I mentioned above, without a shackle, lets you raise the sail to it's maximum height. Plus it can be "tied" in less time than it takes to unscrew a shackle pin (especially after it gets dropped)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Buntline hitch, for years and years- there's a reason it has lasted.

But to get it off will take a knife. I like it like that

Nov 8, 2010
Using the knot I mentioned above, without a shackle, lets you raise the sail to it's maximum height. Plus it can be "tied" in less time than it takes to unscrew a shackle pin (especially after it gets dropped)
That knot is used on dinghies and small (<20) foot boats that tie their sails to halyards. On bigger boat that are designed to use shackles, the rig is designed with extra space on the spar to allow the designed/speced sail to be pulled to full hoist.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Thank you all. I needed the extra lift on my main sail and had to cut off the eye splice that took lots of time to lean and get right. Found an article stating Rod Stevens only use buntline hitch so went with it. Yes it comes out with difficulty but I leave my main rigged and covered. When I replaced my haylards mid summer I used a buntline directly to main and tied a schacle to the jib and put off for latter an eye splice. (wife or friends can help raise jib) I confess Ive been lazy and never got back to splice. Looks to me like the haylard knot is an improved buntline or maybe the other way around. I guess from the above both have about the same attrabutes and both come out hard and the difference is where the end of the line comes out of the knot. (????)

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
been using bowlines since i was 7 yrs old. never seen one undo on its own. lemme see, i was 7 in 1955.........
i use bowlines , with and without shackle, and i use figure 8 knot for the loose end.
i use cowhitch for jibsheets.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
had a bowline shake Loose when loaded suddenly...lost my bucket in Lake Michigan trying to scoop up some deck rinse water. some books will suggest a half hitch on the tail end to help.

Jan 6, 2010
APEX,

I've never had a bowline fail me pal. I was not there so, I don't have a take on it.
Sounds like that was a nightmare for you & I can guess it was. In some cases, I use a double wrap on the bitter end. There's insurance in this but, it does not impede in untying.

We all learn as we go forward, better luck in the future pal.........
The good news is, that there are a multitude of proper knots for all applications.

CR

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
That knot is used on dinghies and small (<20) foot boats that tie their sails to halyards. On bigger boat that are designed to use shackles, the rig is designed with extra space on the spar to allow the designed/speced sail to be pulled to full hoist.
My first three boats were dinghies, so I guess that explains it. ;) Still works for me on the M25 however.

Nov 8, 2010
had a bowline shake Loose when loaded suddenly...lost my bucket in Lake Michigan trying to scoop up some deck rinse water. some books will suggest a half hitch on the tail end to help.
Yea, exactly why experts (not just me) recommend not using for any situation where the knot can come off load. Any given individual of course might not have experienced it, but it pays to look at collective experience.

Like doing this search: http://bfy.tw/5kaV