Newbe purchased #14612 this week.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
your using one of those spot things I saw on the website? What is that like a gps with cell phone updating? What kind of monthly fee are you looking at with that?
Is this the main purpose you got it for or you use it for other stuff?
Do you have it as a fun thing or you using it kind of like a tracker for safety?

Just curious.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
guess I did some research on my own
I understand it all now anyway. interesting.
It looks pretty cool. Guess if I was taking long trips regularly would be a nice safety thing. Or if I had a large boat liveaboard it would be a no-brainer.

For myself seems a bit on the expensive side for the use I'd get out of it. But I'll definitely admit it's a neat piece of tech.

Before I got this tech I guess I'd have to get rid of my flip phone first :) I'm a bit behind the times.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
I bought the SPOT Tracker for sailplane cross countries. My friends and I will go several hundred miles in sailplanes. The Tracker gives our spouses and crew piece of mind. $150 per year is quite reasonable. I can send text messages to preprogrammed recipients also. Doesn't require cell coverage. Works worldwide.

We are safely back. Having a beer and food before packing for home. I'll give a full report later.

Thanks for following. Makes us feel safer to know we are being watched.

Lane

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I couldn't get the SPOT thing to work, but I'm even more technically challenged than Allen. Flip phone? What's that?

I carry a bag phone, myself.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Sorry it took so long for me to give you guys a recap of our trip last weekend. To answer the above question, my sailplane is a Standard Cirrus 1972 model. I just sanded and applied new gel coat last winter so she looks marvelous!

Lee and I headed down to Panama City last Thursday after work. Arriving at the slip we quickly packed for our four day trip and motored towards open water at 10:45 pm. We had decided to sail off shore during the night which would let us arrive in Destin during daylight hours. I had never entered the Destin harbor so daylight docking would be the safest. The forecast was for perfect conditions Thursday night through midnight Friday. Saturday and Sunday were forecast to be 20-25 knots with 4 foot waves.

As we turned westward the ocean was as smooth as a pond and there was not a breeze to be had. With 13 gallons of fuel on board we just kept the sails stowed and putted westward at half throttle making 4 knots. Lee hit the settee birth at midnight and slept soundly until she was back on deck at 2:45. Taking her turn at the helm i turned in and slept like a baby until she awoke me at 5:45. The wind was starting to pick up and she suggested we hoist the sails. So up with the sails and secured our faithful Tohatsu. The conditions were perfect! 4.5 knots and smooth seas. After a few minutes Lee hit the bunk again. I sailed in peaceful bliss the rest of the night and watched the sunrise over the stern. This is why I love sailing!

After ten hours of motoring and four hours of sailing we arrived in Destin shortly after noon.

As a pleasant bonus we tied up at my Wife's cousin's vacation house. It is one of the last houses left on the bay from the 50's. In the house there are pictures of them landing their amphibious Lake Renegade in the front bay during the 70's. My wife remembers water skiing in the front bay. Things are much different today? Having a dock with water, power, a hammock and real bathrooms was a treat. We could walk to dinner.

On Saturday we planned a 3 pm departure for another off shore sail. The winds were forecasted a 20 knots Saturday and Sunday so I thought we could handle it. Remember I am a rookie to anything larger than 14 feet! At the appointed time we motored out of the bay and through the jetties. The water was very choppy and the wind was blustery to say the least.

Like a true amateur I raised every piece of canvas we had while clearing the jetties. Once we turned Eastward you guys know what happened :( We heeled over 20 degrees and the tiller took on a mind of its own. Lee and I immediately realized we had too much sail up but getting it down was something we had not practiced in a gusting wind with waves breaking on the side. Kudos to my wife for keeping her cool and doing everything she could to help me. After some experimenting I realized that heading out on a broad reach was the most stable point of sail we could muster. Of course the shore was getting smaller and smaller. After five minutes of catching our breath, making a plan and gathering up the necessary reefing ropes we were ready to find a point of sail that would allow us to reef. I had made up the necessary ropes for reefing over the weekend and when we started out of the harbor we donned life jackets and buttoned up the hatches. So, we were pretty prepared for neophytes.

Lee cranked the outboard and then we turned into the wind and used the outboard to keep us from falling off. This had the added advantage of taking us back towards the beach. The reefing of the main went very smooth. It was at this time that I regretted only ordering one reefing point in my new sail. After getting it reefed and jib rolled in we turned back east. Good news, we were able to sail fairly comfortably but there was a tremendous amount of pressure on the tiller. As an experiment we started cracking the jib back out and quickly got the boat in better trim. Things were stable, we were heading east and catching our breath. As a precaution Lee once again checked the wind forecast. The new forecast showed increasing winds during the night. No way were we going to tackle stronger winds! With unanimous agreement we turned back for Destin.

The new plan was to sail the intercoastal.

Let me just say that the bay was as rough as the open ocean. Everything was piling up on the south shore. It was wind, waves and tide galore. We beat north for a couple of hours before we could turn east. It was miserable. The yachts were fighting it also! Once we turned east I cracked the jib and she settled down and went from 1.5 knots to 5 knots.

We sailed towards the intercoastal dodging bouys and gradually adding more and more sail. During the night we "hove to" for the first time while I removed the main reef. It worked beautifully. Lee could not believe we were "parked". By 9 pm we were under full sail, making 5 knots and heeled over. Basically we were getting more comfortable with the boat, the conditions and our experience level was increasing. In hindsight we could probably have stayed off shore if we hadn't scared ourselves so bad.

We anchored at the mouth of the intercoastal at 10:45 pm and slept though the night. It was windy, very choppy and I must have eyed the flashing buoy light a dozen times during the night. Had we gone another 1/4 mile we could have anchored within the ditch and slept on glassy water. I just didn't know the lay of the land and it was a moonless night by this point. We were safe, we were tired and I was in 4 feet of water. So I set the anchor.

The next morning I moved us into the intercoastal at first daylight (after coffee of course) and we started a peaceful four hour motor eastward.

Lee didn't cook during this time because we hoped to eat at Boondocks (turned out to be closed).

Emerging from the ditch at noon we were in for more rough conditions. We were beating directly into the wind with the Tohatsu giving us all it could for four hours. During that time a fellow sailor passed us heading downwind. Lucky guy. He was almost planning!

Once we turned the "long point" and headed southeast I started adding sail and it all got better again. 5 knots, heeled over, both hands on the tiller and it was daylight. We flew on into the south bay, under the Hathaway bridge where a sailboat was floundering about trying to decide how to get things under control. Jib flogging, bow bobbing and weaving. I felt sorry for him and thought we were there just 24 hours earlier. Racing towards home we picked up a couple of larger boats. Both larger, one was sailing under main only and we were slightly faster. The other had everything out and they were having a blast. About a 40 footer and it was heeled over like a Hobie 16! Six retirees in the back cockpit hooping and hollering. Obviously a more experienced crew than us.

All in all it was an excellent shake down cruise. Hoosier Daddy was up to the task and was a better sailor than we were. All of my rigging held up in the windy conditions. My electrical system functioned as planned as did our navigating. No one went in the drink and we didn't loose anything to Davy Jones. I'd say we learned more than a year of reading would have taught us. Sometimes you just gotta leave the dock.

Lane

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
Sounds like an absolutely fantastic time - and what a great learning experience! Cheers to both of you!!

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Lane,

What a GREAT adventure! Having sailed in the Destin and Ft Walton area made your story that more personable. Your story would make a GREAT addition to the MainBrace. Just the kind of sailing adventure story folks LOVE to read about. Would be neat to e:mail a copy to the MainBrace Editor, Rich Fox;

Editor@Catalina22.org

Hope you're thinking of joining the North Gulf Coast Cruise next May out of Ft Walton Yacht Club, then followed by the C-22 Nationals hosted there also.

Your story just makes us more anxious on our relocation to Florida and start exploring the area.

Thanks for sharing,

Don

May 25, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Panama City, FL
Living in Panama City I had great interest in your sailing adventure to Destin and back. Sounds like you had an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing. Are you planning to keep Panama City as your home port?

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Hoosier Daddy is in a slip in Massolina Boyou. We originally planned on giving up the slip and just relying on a trailer. However we have fallen in love with the slip. We like to leave Friday after work and spend the night on the boat.

I did buy a trailer in St Pete last week. I will probably bring the boat home for bottom work December/January.

Lane

May 25, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Panama City, FL
I am glad to hear you will be in the area. Sassy Girl is slipped at the marina at Tyndall AFB. Hope to see you out on the water and look forward to hearing about more adventures.

Sep 30, 2013
Lane, did you ever have any luck finding a garbage can to fit Hoosier Daddy? While I had mine out of the boat the other day, I took measurements of it and poked around the interweb a little, but found nothing.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
No luck. Pretty bummed that space is useless to me right now.

Lane

Sep 30, 2013
Yup, that sux. It seems Catalina designed the opening around a once-common garbage can which is now obsolete, and NOBODY makes one in those dimensions anymore (8 1/4 W x 14 L x 15H).

Other than MAKING one, I can think of only one easy fix: Find a can with slightly smaller dimensions, make a plywood cutout for it, and secure that cutout up underneath the countertop, centered inside the old cutout. New can drops in, cover goes on same as always, nobody's the wiser. The new can is likely to have a smaller capacity than the old one, is all.

This one looks like it would do the trick, for instance: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/o...aid-so-molded-plastic-wastebasket-13-5-8-qt-3 It's 8 1/4 x 11 3/8 x 12 1/8.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
I traveled to St Pete via Ford F150 and picked up our "new to us" trailer. It it s little larger than most Cat 22 trailers. Previously it was hauling a 26' Pierson. It is going to need lights and safety chains at a minimum (it has neither). I also need to replace most of the steel u bolts. I imagine it will take several hours to get the boat up the ramp the first time as the trailer will need to extensive adjustment.

The good news is its a dual axle aluminum trailer. I like the bow ladder and the way the bunks are built. With some TLC it should make a great cross country trailer for us. I only have about 40% of the cost of a new single axle steel trailer invested in it. At this point I believe I will have a nice '88 boat with new outboard, overhauled trailer, complete new electrical with bluetooth radio/speakers and new main sail for around $5000 invested. I think I am going to quit keeping an accounting from this point forward as I am probably at the top value of the boat with my current investment.

I still want a new headsail, a mast crutch, interior cushions and various fittings replaced. I bought 11 yards of high end tan ultraleather this week. I don't think it will take but about half of it for my cushions. If anyone wants some for their cushions I can sell my leftover for 50 percent of new cost.

The weather is so good right now, I think we will wait until this winter to worry about getting Hoosier Daddy on the trailer. Once the boat is here in Bainbridge the real restoration will begin. I can't wait.

Lane

Sep 30, 2013
Lane, you're not by chance slipped at that big municipal marina at the end of Harrison Avenue, are you?

I lived just a few blocks from there, once upon a time, and I'm wondering if it would be a good place to launch from these days. It was kinda sketchy down there back in my day, but I hear it's had something of a renaissance.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Spending a few nights out on Hoosier Daddy. Lee will join me tomorrow. Today I installed a digital volt meter on the battery bus. I also removed the old cabin lights and installed LED dome lights. The lighting is much better now and the fixtures are much more modern looking.

Weather hear is unbelievable. Can't wait to hoist the sails and leave the dock tomorrow.

Lane

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Lee and I spent three nights on Hoosier Daddy a couple of weeks ago. We thought with the good weather we better enjoy it while we could. Also, I was recovering from LASIK and thought "could there be a better way to recover"? New sailboat and ditching the glasses. Hopefully not a mid life crisis!

Of course, while there I could not sit still. So I did the following.

Removed three crappy dome lights and replaced with new LED lights off Amazon. These were only 10 bucks each and work great. Switch is in center of light.

I installed a voltage monitor I purchased off Amazon for 10 bucks also. Works great except I used a push to break switch instead of a push to make switch. It uses such little current I may leave it alone. Nice to wake up during the night and glance at voltage on battery.

I also finished installing a secondary power panel and 12 volt socket. This allows me to control power distribution much better than before. Now I can turn on depth sounder, radio, compass light etc. separately.

A great time on the boat and some projects finished to boot! The only mistake is I left bagels and hot dog buns in the locker. Hopefully they will not make too much of a mess between now and December 31.

Lane

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Lane,
I missed your post about the extra yards of ultra leather you might be selling. I'm not familiar with that fabric or its properties, but if you post pics of the upholstery work you do with it I might be interested in that extra material. Looking forward to it...

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
BTW, my trailer is very similar to yours. It may have been designed for a bigger boat but you simply cannot beat that bomb-proof galvanized I-beam construction. The tandem axle will make towing steady and smooth. You may want to change the axle springs to 2000 pound sets. I'm willing to bet the springs it has (for the bigger boat that was on it), will be too stiff. Your C22 might be too light to put a proper pre-load on them if there are 3K or stiffer springs on each axle. Not the most critical upgrade at this point, but only $125 for two sets of lighter springs from eTrailer.com

Also, you may actually need to LOWER those bunk risers, LOL! FYI, if you take a board and lay it across the bunks and then drop a plum-bob at the center to where the swing keel would rest you need a minimum of 15 to 16 inches of vertical clearance. If you set it up for 17 inches you should be very safe and have just a little room to lower the keel just enough to de-tension the winch.