Newbe purchased #14612 this week.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
How did you get it to keep spraying all the way up, just cinch down a zip tie over the button?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I think the zip tie is looped over the button and another zip tie goes from that to the bottom of the can, when he pulls the downhaul it tugs down and depresses the button... I think. Quick video, but I'm impressed.

How did you get it to keep spraying all the way up, just cinch down a zip tie over the button?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Nevermind, in the beginning before they haul up I hear him say "I got it sprayin', go up"

Either way, what a good idea.

I think the zip tie is looped over the button and another zip tie goes from that to the bottom of the can, when he pulls the downhaul it tugs down and depresses the button... I think. Quick video, but I'm impressed.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I just wanted to say thanks for the posts about the external hinged mast gates.
Great design. I'll be getting some.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
I ran one zip tie through each sail slug. That secured the can. I then tied my halyard to the top slug and a spare line to the bottom slug. I ran a zip tie under the top slug strap and looped it over top of can centered on spray button. I initially ran it back under the same zip tie on the back side of the can. When I pulled down on that strap the can would spray but there was not enough friction to keep it depressed. So I piggybacked another zip tie to the one on the trigger and continued through bottom strap. This gave me enough resistance so that when I pulled the tie and depressed the button it would remain depressed. Dirt simple and cheap. You just need two old sail slugs. Or if yours are removable you can borrow two off your sail.

On the mast gates, they made sailing much simpler Saturday. I do have an issue with one gate trying to snag on the slugs as they pass by. I have yet to spend anytime adjusting, fine tuning, lubing etc. I think with a little attention they will work even better. In the kit is two fasteners for securing them in a more permanent fashion if you desire. They are still removable with a screw driver. I think I might install these fasteners also. I just don't think I will be removing the sail very often since I am in a slip. Using these two plastic screws will prevent the gates from drifting as the slugs go by. I have a rivnut tool which would allow me to use stainless machine screws if the plastic ones are an issue. Needless to say I love the gates but my tinkering spirit wants to see them work perfectly as they should. The craftsmanship is par excellent and I give mastgates.com a thumbs up. If you order them reference Stingy Sailor and this forum.

Lane

Sep 30, 2013
I do have an issue with one gate trying to snag on the slugs as they pass by. I have yet to spend anytime adjusting, fine tuning, lubing etc. I think with a little attention they will work even better.

Lane

I'll bet they will. :) My slugs go through those gates like butter.

They do get hung up higher in the mast though. I finally broke down and bought a can of McLube, but haven't tried it yet. What kind of lube is that you're using?

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
It's 3m dry silicone lube off Amazon. Description was almost verbatim the same as sailkote but half the price.

Lane

Sep 13, 2015
Catalina 22 Wilson NY
I just talked to Judy. Great resource. Placed an order for

Catalina 22 Cruising Mainsail (Challenge Hi Modulus Dacron) [Sail Cloth:Challenge Hi Modulus 6.03 Dacron][Design:CrossCut][Wind Range:Usually under 20 kts, occasionally to 25][Reefs:1 Reef][Batten Type:Standard Fiberglass (Not Tapered)][Battens:1 Full, 3 Partial][Trim Stripes?:Draft Stripes][Enter your sail #:14612]

In the long run I am sure this is better than repairing my old tattered sail. It is just more money in that hole in the water!

Lane
Congrats on your purchase. Last week I bought an '86 new style. My main sail is in bad shape. I went online to CAtalinaDirect. Did your new sail come with the Catalina 22 logo and number on it?

Sep 13, 2015
Catalina 22 Wilson NY
I just talked to Judy. Great resource. Placed an order for

Catalina 22 Cruising Mainsail (Challenge Hi Modulus Dacron) [Sail Cloth:Challenge Hi Modulus 6.03 Dacron][Design:CrossCut][Wind Range:Usually under 20 kts, occasionally to 25][Reefs:1 Reef][Batten Type:Standard Fiberglass (Not Tapered)][Battens:1 Full, 3 Partial][Trim Stripes?:Draft Stripes][Enter your sail #:14612]

In the long run I am sure this is better than repairing my old tattered sail. It is just more money in that hole in the water!

Lane
Congrats on your boat purchase. I bought a '86 Cat 22 New Style last week. It also has a shredded main sail. I checked out CatalinaDirect. Did your sail come with the Catalina 22 logo and hull # ?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It's 3m dry silicone lube off Amazon. Description was almost verbatim the same as sailkote but half the price.

Lane
You're quickly find a HUGE difference. Sailkote is not dry silicone. That 3M stuff will gum up and attract dirt.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
I got my main from Hyde Sails. $689. It has draft stripes, Cat 22 logo, sail number. Very pleased.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
I've been very pleased with my loose footed full batten main from Catalina Direct. One item I really like is that the sail has a jack-line on the bottom luff slug so I can keep my sail stop in the slot just above where the feed slot is, and don't have to keep installing and removing the mast gates. Just one less thing to do when rigging or de-rigging the boat, and haven't had to mess with the mast gates for several years now.

Don

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Trash can was/is "Rubbermaid #2845 wastebasket, 14 1/4" x 8 1/4" x 15"
Tried all the Google terms I can think off and no luck finding this trash can for the boat. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Lane

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
This weekend my wife and I are (wx permitting) going to sail from Panama City to Destin on Hoosiers Daddy. We plan on spending Friday and Saturday night in Destin either anchored or at a Marina.

As this will be our first cross country I hope it is a good experience for my wife.

Any suggestions on a marina she might enjoy? A bathroom and shower will aid her experience I believe.

Lane

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Tried all the Google terms I can think off and no luck finding this trash can for the boat. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Lane
I'd simply contact Rubbermaid and see if they have the same model under a new number.

They list one on their website that looks the same but I have no idea if it would fit. The way they measure them can be misleading so you may have to manually measure the top in person.
http://www.rubbermaid.com/en-US/large-open-wastebaskets---rectangle

Worst case you may have to modify the lip of the opening to make it fit, since the official measurements are slightly smaller.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2008
Bushav,

On your trip to Destin, are you going VIA the gulf, or the intracoastal ditch?
Are you aware that next May C-22 Fleet-77 will again host their annual C-22 cruise out of Ft Walton Yacht Club, (the "North Gulf Coast Cruise"), and following the cruise, they will host the C-22 Nationals again. Heck, you're right next door!
Attached photo taken during the C-22 2015 North Gulf Coast Cruise
Hope to see you at these events next year,

Don

Attachments

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Bushav,

On your trip to Destin, are you going VIA the gulf, or the intracoastal ditch?
Are you aware that next May C-22 Fleet-77 will again host their annual C-22 cruise out of Ft Walton Yacht Club, (the "North Gulf Coast Cruise"), and following the cruise, they will host the C-22 Nationals again. Heck, you're right next door!
Attached photo taken during the C-22 2015 North Gulf Coast Cruise
Hope to see you at these events next year,

Don
We are going to Destin via gulf. Nothing against ditch but we bought a sailboat to sail! If conditions aren't good for an offshore sail we will reschedule.

Lane

Nov 19, 2008
Lane,
Good for you! Nothing I enjoy more than setting the boat up, sitting back, and let the autopilot take the helm as we sail along the coast and relax!

Don

Sep 30, 2013
In the remote event that weather conditions are better to the east of you, we hope to be cruising around Carabelle this weekend. :wink3: